RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018

Help choosing new frame

I知 in the market for a new bike and need some help in picking a frame. I知 looking for help specifically in finding a good model for a geometry that matches me. I currently ride a 56cm Fuji Gran Fondo which I believe is a bit too big for me. I知 wanting to get a more race oriented bike opposed to my current endurance. I do have access to a pretty good selection of different manufacturers to test bikes and will definitely be testing anything before buying.

My basic measurements are: 69 tall, 30.5 inseam, with short arms -2 ape index, and I would say slightly below moderate flexibility. I also have a bad lower back with a slipped disc but I am younger.

So far I tested a 54cm Tarmac sl6 but it left my back aching. I was looking at the Canyon Ultimate but the geometry looks very close to the Tarmac with just slightly higher stack and slightly less reach; I知 thinking I値l have the same issue that I had with the Tarmac. I知 now looking at Cerv駘o as it seems their bikes have a shorter reach and higher stack than others. Although I知 confused how the S and R series have identical stack and reach when it seems most of the time manufacturers will make aero bikes more aggressive, am I missing something here? Price isn稚 really an issue as I can choose what tier to get once I decide on a model.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Reading between the lines here. "Below moderate flexibility", "bad lower back", "slipped disc". A race type bike may not be a great idea for you if it leaves your back aching unless you can improve your flexibility. Just saying.

And yes, looking at your measurements, I would say a 56cm frame is too big for you. A 54 seems like your correct size.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

鉄tatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    That's a very high stack on that 56cm Fuji (602mm). Reach 376mm.

I can't really think of a more racy frame/bike with a stack and reach a little less than that frame.

The Eddy Merckx Mourenx69 M (stack 568, reach 378: which is similar to the Fuji) is regarded as a comfortable 'more racy' bike, for example.

The bikes I've looked at start coming down in their stack height, but the reach tends to stay the same.

The Cervelo R3 (54) has a stack of 555*, but again, the reach (378) is no different than your Fuji. *Might be too low for you.

Have you thought about the Trek Domane SL (52)?
    The reach on that frame comes in a bit: reach 371, stack 561.

Edit: The Giant Defy Advanced range: stack 567 / reach 377.
    This might work, if you shortened the stem by 10mm for example.
    You could always swap out the bar that comes on the Defy (they tend to be a bit long in the reach) with a short-reach bar (e.g. 70mm reach) to pull in the reach some more.
    Last edited by tangerineowl; 04-13-2018 at 12:36 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerineowl View Post
    That's a very high stack on that 56cm Fuji (602mm). Reach 376mm.

I can't really think of a more racy frame/bike with a stack and reach a little less than that frame.

The Eddy Merckx Mourenx69 M (stack 568, reach 378: which is similar to the Fuji) is regarded as a comfortable 'more racy' bike, for example.

The bikes I've looked at start coming down in their stack height, but the reach tends to stay the same.

The Cervelo R3 (54) has a stack of 555*, but again, the reach (378) is no different than your Fuji. *Might be too low for you.

Have you thought about the Trek Domane SL (52)?
    The reach on that frame comes in a bit: reach 371, stack 561.

Edit: The Giant Defy Advanced range: stack 567 / reach 377.
    This might work, if you shortened the stem by 10mm for example.
    You could always swap out the bar that comes on the Defy (they tend to be a bit long in the reach) with a short-reach bar (e.g. 70mm reach) to pull in the reach some more.
    Considering the above information, almost any "endurance bike" will be more racy than your Fuji. Compare two of Cannondale's road bikes in size 54:

Endurance bike - Synapse Carbon:

Stack: 570
    Reach: 378

Race bike - Supersix EVO:

Stack: 551
    Reach: 387
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

鉄tatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    That痴 a very interesting point. I never realized how relaxed my Fuji is even compared to other endurance bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Reading between the lines here. "Below moderate flexibility", "bad lower back", "slipped disc". A race type bike may not be a great idea for you if it leaves your back aching unless you can improve your flexibility. Just saying.
    For sure.

And for the editorial part of my response that you didn't ask for: Even with 'normal' flexibility and a good back a pure race bike probably isn't a good idea. Lots of regular Joe's do ride race bikes and get along fine but for most who are not Cat 3 or above they just never touch the drops and ride the hoods or tops all the time or have a bunch of spacers and/or upright stem. Pretty much anyone can get as aggressive as they'll ever want/need by just making more use of the drops and/or bending their elbows. And by getting aggressive using the drops you have the added benefit of being able to get more relaxed on the tops for when you need it like casual rides or breaks during long rides.

In summary don't worry about stigma or relaxed and race and just get a bike that fits you best. There are some really fast dudes who don't ride all out race bikes. And by the same token plenty slow guys on the bike path with all out aggressive bikes. Fit matters. Bike category doesn't.

The caveat here is that if you want a 'race bike' because you want super resposive handling then you kind of do need to jerry-rig a true race bike to fit you. Or go custom where they can make a bike that fits your upright-ish position but is very responsive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    ......they just never touch the drops and ride the hoods or tops all the time or have a bunch of spacers and/or upright stem.
    This is me for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    In summary don't worry about stigma or relaxed and race and just get a bike that fits you best. There are some really fast dudes who don't ride all out race bikes. And by the same token plenty slow guys on the bike path with all out aggressive bikes. Fit matters. Bike category doesn't.
    Exactly!

Cpark
    Quote Originally Posted by koolsilver View Post
    I知 in the market for a new bike and need some help in picking a frame. I知 looking for help specifically in finding a good model for a geometry that matches me. I currently ride a 56cm Fuji Gran Fondo which I believe is a bit too big for me. I知 wanting to get a more race oriented bike opposed to my current endurance. I do have access to a pretty good selection of different manufacturers to test bikes and will definitely be testing anything before buying.

My basic measurements are: 69 tall, 30.5 inseam, with short arms -2 ape index, and I would say slightly below moderate flexibility. I also have a bad lower back with a slipped disc but I am younger.

So far I tested a 54cm Tarmac sl6 but it left my back aching. I was looking at the Canyon Ultimate but the geometry looks very close to the Tarmac with just slightly higher stack and slightly less reach; I知 thinking I値l have the same issue that I had with the Tarmac. I知 now looking at Cerv駘o as it seems their bikes have a shorter reach and higher stack than others. Although I知 confused how the S and R series have identical stack and reach when it seems most of the time manufacturers will make aero bikes more aggressive, am I missing something here? Price isn稚 really an issue as I can choose what tier to get once I decide on a model.
    I got 3 on you and I ride a 56ish or M frame.
    I think it痴 best to seek an advice from a reputable bike fitter.
    Spec Tarmac has a pretty aggressive (long and low) geometry, so you may want to look at some other models.