Help a College rider out! Please
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    909

    Help a College rider out! Please

    Ok so you all saw my post, oh crap my bike doesn't fit. Well turns out it really does not fit well enough. I know the LBS owner personally and gave hime a jingle, as of now he has no REAL use for the used frame, meaning I am kind of SOL at the moment. So I thought I would come to you guys on the board here. Before I quit my job and dumped all my cash into out of state tuition I bought my bike, kind of a good job for going to school gift. Allas I have damn near NO money left after bills, books, and food. Does anyone have any ideas or maybe any extra 56/57cm frame laying around? I train on road for Little 5 and race for IU on road as well. So my Allez fit the bill nicely (although it really could be a bit stiffer in the BB area), however now that I am seeing why I have been so uncomfortable I am worried. Would anyone be interested in doing a trade plus some amount of money if I could dig it up? Just think you would really be helping someone out. This is the first sport I have ever really been involved in, and love it to death. However I seem to have picked one of the most expensive sports as well. Quite the dilema. If anyone out there has any knowledge or help to lay on me, please, lay away!

    Kyle

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    662
    I have a 56cm c-c frame, but the top tube is pretty long. Its an old, old Vitus frame. Want it?

  3. #3
    Unrepentant Mountainbiker
    Reputation: freezin_is_the_reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    624

    How far off is the fit?

    Just curious on that one. I have an old 52 cm steel frame that I could sell pretty cheaply. But my guess is that is too small and not really what you are looking for. What size do you need in the Specialized?

    My Specialized dealer hooked my up with a crash replacement frame when my Allez was trashed. They even let me upsec to an Allez Pro frame with the all carbon fork from my Allez Sport. Have your guy call up Specialized and explain your situation. They really are into pleasing their customers. They even threw in a carbon seat post at no extra charge.

    You could also look on E-bay. I have seen some pretty nice frames go for low $$$ there. If you don't mind getting a used frame. Leader has always got some bargain basements frames listed on E-bay too.
    It's no fun unless it hurts!

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: mrrun2fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    372
    Try selling your bike on ebay,

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    638
    You can make your frame fit just fine, you are just ignoring the advice others have given. A 56 frame in the same model is only 1.7cm shorter in toptube length. Go get a 10-20mm shorter stem and your frame will fit just fine. If you are really short of money, go spend the $15 for a new stem before you throw out $100+ to swap frames.

    Believe it or not may people buy a frame slightly to large and go with a shorter stem to move the bars high enough. It works just fine.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: teoteoteo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,779
    Quote Originally Posted by cdmc
    You can make your frame fit just fine, you are just ignoring the advice others have given. A 56 frame in the same model is only 1.7cm shorter in toptube length. Go get a 10-20mm shorter stem and your frame will fit just fine. If you are really short of money, go spend the $15 for a new stem before you throw out $100+ to swap frames.

    Believe it or not may people buy a frame slightly to large and go with a shorter stem to move the bars high enough. It works just fine.

    The wrong size is the wrong size. Think about your center of gravity as it relates to the wheelbase of the bike. It hoses the handling completely. I can change stems and make 3 sizes of OCLV's appear that they fit but only one size corners, climbs, and rides the way I want.....

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    909
    I did a century today with some new adjustments and different stem, however the bike is weird looking, and feels off now, my stem is too short. I have the seat shoved almost all the way forward and now my seat creaks. I am just pretty darn pissed off about this, the LBS knew better, they dumped the bike on me, which aside from not fitting is a great bike. ARGH! Where is a sponsor when I need one haha.

    Kyle

  8. #8
    Say "nuke-u-lar"
    Reputation: Bikinfoolferlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    453

    The bike is weird looking....

    now that's a scientific approach. You apply the same theory to your clothing?

    Asking for any 56/57 frame won't get you necessarily the top tube length you're looking for. At least your fit issue seems to be over your top tube length; you need to be more specific or you may even with a "56" or "57" frame still have the wrong top tube length.

    Are you using a layback post? If you are, then that might be part of your problem still; putting a saddle at one end or the other of its range on a post can definitely lead to creaking. BTW, what specific change did you make to the stem?

    Maybe you weren't able to sell those Atmos helmets for enough profit yet? Time to try and let go of that gold Cipo kit...or get a job. Before you ask for charity I think you should explore further component adjustments in any case, like cdmc sez.
    Suum quique.

  9. #9

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,387

    Before...

    Quote Originally Posted by IUbike
    I did a century today with some new adjustments and different stem, however the bike is weird looking, and feels off now, my stem is too short. I have the seat shoved almost all the way forward and now my seat creaks. I am just pretty darn pissed off about this, the LBS knew better, they dumped the bike on me, which aside from not fitting is a great bike. ARGH! Where is a sponsor when I need one haha.

    Kyle
    Before you found out that your bike was not the right size, how did it ride for you then? Were you comfortable? Did you have any weird pains and or weird position on the bike? If not, then ride it like it was, and hold off until you can get it replaced with a frame/bike that is the correct size. Or, you can do what I did when I was in college and wanted a new bike. I spent my "living" money from loans on a new bike, and ate a lot of Ramen noodles over the semester. So I didn't get to eat a lot of good food, but I had a sweet bike or 2 from loans. I do have a brand new aluminum Giant TCR (medium) that I would be willing to get rid of cheap, and would be your size.

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    638
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolialover
    Before you found out that your bike was not the right size, how did it ride for you then? Were you comfortable? Did you have any weird pains and or weird position on the bike? If not, then ride it like it was, and hold off until you can get it replaced with a frame/bike that is the correct size.
    He doesn't want to listen to reason. He said in his other thread that he rode it for over 2000 miles before he "realized" the bike didn't fit. But hey, it is his shops fault for putting a guy that is 5'11" on a 58cm frame and not knowing better. Wait, I'm 5'11.5" and ride a 58 frame. Crap, now I need to go find a new frame.

  11. #11
    Old, slow, and fat.
    Reputation: MShaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,897
    Quote Originally Posted by teoteoteo
    The wrong size is the wrong size. Think about your center of gravity as it relates to the wheelbase of the bike. It hoses the handling completely. I can change stems and make 3 sizes of OCLV's appear that they fit but only one size corners, climbs, and rides the way I want.....
    Yeah, but yer not a broke college student either!

    Adapt and overcome...

    M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

  12. #12

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by cdmc
    He doesn't want to listen to reason. He said in his other thread that he rode it for over 2000 miles before he "realized" the bike didn't fit. But hey, it is his shops fault for putting a guy that is 5'11" on a 58cm frame and not knowing better. Wait, I'm 5'11.5" and ride a 58 frame. Crap, now I need to go find a new frame.


    Wait a minute. Are you saying that his frame fits?! WHat's all this asking for a free frame business? A scam? Man, I can't believe I almost f-ing donated a perfectly good frame to an unknown person because I felt sorry for him! Of course, the frame is just sitting in the garage collecting dust, but still.

  13. #13

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky2
    Wait a minute. Are you saying that his frame fits?! WHat's all this asking for a free frame business? A scam? Man, I can't believe I almost f-ing donated a perfectly good frame to an unknown person because I felt sorry for him! Of course, the frame is just sitting in the garage collecting dust, but still.

    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=20239

    I have the 04 Allez Comp and love it to death. Wish I had the Sworks frame for a bit stiffer BB area as I can twerk this a tiny bit. Other than that it is a great bike that handles wonderful. I have a team mate that rides a lower level Allez and the components are **** frame is fine. I would buy at least 105.

    If nothing else, he's an enterprising lad. Maybe he can sell some of these to pay for a new frame:
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=20401
    I picked a few of these up, $113 bucks for the 04 Atmos 99% of people don't know the difference and they are still selling on Ebay in upwards of $140-150 and dont even try your LBS, so I figured I would make some money off the deal. Just thought anyone else interested could check it out.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: KeithNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    220

    brilliant....

    Quote Originally Posted by P-Quoddy
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=20239

    I have the 04 Allez Comp and love it to death. Wish I had the Sworks frame for a bit stiffer BB area as I can twerk this a tiny bit. Other than that it is a great bike that handles wonderful. I have a team mate that rides a lower level Allez and the components are **** frame is fine. I would buy at least 105.

    If nothing else, he's an enterprising lad. Maybe he can sell some of these to pay for a new frame:
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=20401
    I picked a few of these up, $113 bucks for the 04 Atmos 99% of people don't know the difference and they are still selling on Ebay in upwards of $140-150 and dont even try your LBS, so I figured I would make some money off the deal. Just thought anyone else interested could check it out.
    ...thanks for digging up those quotes- I knew I remembered his bike handling wonderfully not long ago! I also seem to remember him somehow having enough money to want to "try campy" on his bike despite having barely used Ultegra and building up a single speed... Actually I hope he keeps this up- its quite entertaining!

  15. #15

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by 355gts
    ...thanks for digging up those quotes- I knew I remembered his bike handling wonderfully not long ago! I also seem to remember him somehow having enough money to want to "try campy" on his bike despite having barely used Ultegra and building up a single speed... Actually I hope he keeps this up- its quite entertaining!
    Here's another.
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...892#post172892
    Yea I just found what I wanted in 4, awesome. I could not resist that damn gold Cipo prolouge kit. It is sooo cool haha.

    Now I'm not saying this kid is out to rip people off. He has a lot of enthusiasm for the sport. College is definitely the time to go all out in cycling. You have the time, you have the body, and if you choose the right school, and take out every form of grant and loan available, you have the money. I blew most of my college loans on bike stuff, leaving me broke. It was totally worth it. But I did my research so I didn't have to rely on a bike shop's fitting opinion. The just confirmed what I thought. I got lucky and had an honest shop, but when you are educated, it shows, and a shop is less likely to try to rip you off.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    21,150

    Ouch

    The hubris of youth revealed! Good thing we all don't get our noses rubbed in some of the statements we made while that age. It would be embarassing, for sure. Perhaps this explains the silence of IUbike on this topic

  17. #17

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    The hubris of youth revealed! Good thing we all don't get our noses rubbed in some of the statements we made while that age. It would be embarassing, for sure. Perhaps this explains the silence of IUbike on this topic
    I'm sure I got called on some my early opinions and layed low for a while. But I came back for more. I hope UIbike does.

    I remember when I first started, had a plain blue Sugoi jersey. I actually wore it to classes one day. I thought it was cool. Now I can't imagine wearing a shirt with an elastic hem at the waist and sleeves and three rear pockets anywhere but on a bike.

    I remember special ordering a Time carbon fork from my lbs, then finding a Reynolds Uzo pro on line. I bought the Uzo and a CK headset online. I then went to the LBS and had them install them. When the owner asked me what he was supposed to do with the fork he special ordered, I said, "I'm sure somebody will buy it." I really thought he could just put it in a display case and sell it and that was no problem. But he must have kind of knew I was clueless and not trying to screw him over.

    IUbike is one of us. He's a cyclist. He's a hell of a lot further along and better off than other college kids who are sitting on a couch on weekend mornings, incapacitated due to hangovers. The person who gets lucky with their first bike in that it just happens to fit them right, really doesn't get a chance to learn. He's learned about the effects of changing saddle and stem position and how it affects handling. He's learned about long distance comfort vs. short distance comfort.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: KeithNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    220

    Thumbs up Well said...

    IUbike is one of us. He's a cyclist. He's a hell of a lot further along and better off than other college kids who are sitting on a couch on weekend mornings, incapacitated due to hangovers. The person who gets lucky with their first bike in that it just happens to fit them right, really doesn't get a chance to learn. He's learned about the effects of changing saddle and stem position and how it affects handling. He's learned about long distance comfort vs. short distance comfort.[/QUOTE]



    nice post.
    -Keith

  19. #19
    Beetpull DeLite
    Reputation: GirchyGirchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,742
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Quoddy
    College is definitely the time to go all out in cycling. You have the time...
    Really? Could have fooled me.

  20. #20
    BBJ
    BBJ is offline

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    Really? Could have fooled me.
    I worked 32-45 hours a week while taking a full load in engineering through college. That was ten years ago. I had more time then than I do now with a full time job, wife, three kids, and a house. You may be busy now, but it won't ever get any better, in fact it just keeps getting worse. Yes, you do have more time during college. P-Quoddy knows exactly what he is talking about, in my opinion.

  21. #21

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    638
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad John
    I worked 32-45 hours a week while taking a full load in engineering through college. That was ten years ago. I had more time then than I do now with a full time job, wife, three kids, and a house. You may be busy now, but it won't ever get any better, in fact it just keeps getting worse. Yes, you do have more time during college. P-Quoddy knows exactly what he is talking about, in my opinion.
    This is the truth. I wish I had it as "hard" as I did in college.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10,160

    the seat forward???

    Frame size has NOTHING to do with the saddle position on the seatpost, particularly in the case of the Allez, which has the same 73.5 degree STA in the 56 and 58cm sizes. There is no reason for the sadddle to be pushed further forward.

    How short is your "too short" stem? 20mm less would be required to duplicate the fit of a 56cm.

    As for the comment that the handling is ruined, that's a bit exaggerated. No one know how much you moved the saddle. I'd be surpriised if the front to rear weight balance was any more extreme than my perfectly fitted bike with the saddle a long way back (43%/57%).

    All that said, maybe you can work a trade with someone. Either that or sell it on E-bay an do your fit homework first, before buying again.
    Last edited by C-40; 12-14-2004 at 05:02 PM.

  23. #23
    Beetpull DeLite
    Reputation: GirchyGirchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad John
    I worked 32-45 hours a week while taking a full load in engineering through college. That was ten years ago. I had more time then than I do now with a full time job, wife, three kids, and a house. You may be busy now, but it won't ever get any better, in fact it just keeps getting worse. Yes, you do have more time during college. P-Quoddy knows exactly what he is talking about, in my opinion.
    I don't remember saying anything about whether or not I'll have more time when I graduate and get a job, family, etc. Re-read what I quoted from him in my other post - "You have the time..." Not "more" time.

    I agree with you that free time will probably go way down until I retire. However, that doesn't mean I have much time to begin with! We don't know each others' stories, so we cannot speculate on that. But he made a generalized statement that's not always true.

    While I'm not working, I'm doing the engineering thing too. I do have a week or two sometimes that is pretty open, but it's normally packed full of crap. Especially right now.

Similar Threads

  1. XXXL rider in search of winter
    By txroadie in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-22-2005, 01:42 PM
  2. 1 Kilometer at the 2008 Olympics....
    By Fickle in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 04:04 PM
  3. What determines what a pro rider rides??
    By ttug in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 09:30 AM
  4. He's a great rider but why does tyler continually fall?
    By Trevor! in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 12:41 PM
  5. Former Kelme rider: Growth hormones, EPO part of riders' staple diet
    By DIRT BOY in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 04:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.