Help ID my bike

Thread: Help ID my bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2020

Help ID my bike

Was given this old racing bike. Was going to replace the bars and make a commuter bike but it is so light it makes me nervous I'm ruining a valuable bike.

https://i.imgur.com/Z7t4jVV.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/KobEaxO.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/Tc1Xh3D.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/947Y9ws.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/3Lyxfxr.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/FXBr7nx.jpg

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Any logos on the headtube? It's got Campy dropouts and parts so it's on the nicer side. I've never seen anything stamped on a seattube like the '555'.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2020
    https://i.imgur.com/mLqcTPM.jpg

Not much left of any stickers. A guy on reddit thought it might be a hand built Italian Poghliaghi.

Neophyte
    If you play with a photo editor and mess with contrast, filters, etc, you may be able to get a better idea of what the head badge used to look like.

Looks like it had 2 swooshes or waves at the top and cursive name going across from lower left to upper right. Searching for vintage head badge images is a black hole, though.
    Last edited by jetdog9; 10-01-2020 at 12:44 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2020
    Thanks... Cool info. I've been searching badges and its amazing how many there are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Agreed, that bike looks nice enough to research further. It’s definitely not a TTF

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2020
    Sorry, not a bike guy... Ttf?

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I don't know what it is, and it's not exactly like the Pogliaghi that my wife Sogno had for many years. Underneath all that paint, though, lurks a very nice bicycle. Restore it! It may never be concourse quality but you'll certainly enjoy it a heck of a lot.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danrhodes View Post
    Sorry, not a bike guy... Ttf?
    Sorry, kind of an inside joke. See the thread a few down in this sub forum ‘what brand of bike is this?’ I’m too stupid to post a link from my phone. Guy basically had a POS he wanted to know about with a ‘TTF’ badge. Wondering what TTF is an anagram for makes the imagination run wild. Your bike is definitely nicer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Definitely handbuilt. Campy 1010 dropouts, hand drilled.
    Finely thinned, long point lugs.

The number on the seat lug is probably the seat tube length, in millimeters.

If the rear dropout spacing is 120mm, the frame is from the mid-70's or earlier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    On closer look, don't turn this into a beater/commuter. A couple more questions/comments, though I can probably only contribute little more.

1) Is that a five speed freewheel? Looks like it may even be a 4, but the frame look

2) Would love to see a complete pic of the BB cutout tho I can guess what it looks like from your pic. And a closeup of the fork crown.

3) There's some nice drillium in the dropouts and the seatpost. Not sure I'd trust the seatpost tho.

4) I mentioned this in the TTF thread. Is the bike Italian threaded? I'd have to take out the right BB cup and measure the thread pitch to be sure, but that would narrow down the bike's origins. I'm not sure what other threads have right-hand threads on the fixed cup.

5) Also post a pic from the drive side filling up as much of the picture frame as you can.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2020
    Sorry, casual biker here just trying not to destroy something cool. Can you ask your questions in a slightly dumber way and I will try to reply?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2020

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry, casual biker here just trying not to destroy something cool. Can you ask your questions in a slightly dumber way and I will try to reply?
    Yeah, that's cool, don't destroy it without digging further.

Those pics help. A couple of negatives - as I suspected, there's some Suntour components mixed with the Campagnolo, but that's not so bad. And it seems the rims are schrader value. And the frame has obviously been re-painted way too thick. But that's still a nice looking bike

Definitely five speed, but that's not an issue, your first pic looked like it had only four cogs on back.

Also, I would not ride that bike with the handlebar stem sticking out of the headtube that much. Seat's not level It's also interesting that the seatpost looks like it has three options for setback.

Again, a nice bike with a lot of character, you could probably make it a dependable commuter, but it would probably be more a project of love. If you're just looking at dollars and cents, you could probably spend two or three hundred bucks and come out ahead in terms of money and time spent. That bike would definitely need a complete overhaul - new tires/tubes, cables and housing, handlebar tape, bearings cleaned and repacked. Let me know if any of my 'bike speak' didn't make sense.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2020
    Not to reveal my total ignorance, but I plan to put a fat seat, some bars from a cruiser and brake levers off a trashed out schwinn Mt bike. I just want a bike I can ride with my family and like how light this one is compared to a Peugeot I have already. If it was valuable to someone I'd probably pass it on but as just a "kinda cool" bike I got for free, it doesn't have much value to me. I've posted to 3 forums and haven't gotten any leads so it must not be that collectable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not to reveal my total ignorance, but I plan to put a fat seat, some bars from a cruiser and brake levers off a trashed out schwinn Mt bike. I just want a bike I can ride with my family and like how light this one is compared to a Peugeot I have already. If it was valuable to someone I'd probably pass it on but as just a "kinda cool" bike I got for free, it doesn't have much value to me. I've posted to 3 forums and haven't gotten any leads so it must not be that collectable.
    If you put a fat seat, cruiser bars and (I assume) economy brake levers, you'll lose any 'lightweightness' you felt previously. I imagine the wheels would also need to be modernized with wider (and heavier) tires.

There's another forum that's forbidden to mention that has a Classic & Vintage subforum which gets way more traffic than our Retro forum. I don't think you'd get much money for what you have, but I do think you're better off buying a used bike made in the last twenty years and modifying that to fit your needs. And put whatever $ you get from an afficionado towards your new purchase or upgrades you want. There's someone out there that would love to restore your bike and polish up that drilled out chainring.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Have you found anything that might be a serial number?

Sometimes the format of the SN can point to a manufacturer.

Edit:

I just saw this, which may be a serial number: