• Motobecane LeChampion SL

7 29.17%
  • Cannondale CAAD9

5 20.83%
  • Cannondale Six13

12 50.00%

Jul 2006

Help - Motobecane LeChampion SL, CAAD 9 or Six13

Time to get a new bike and need your opinion.

Here are my Choices
    Motobecane LeChampion SL

Cannondale six13 T2

Cannondale CAAD 9 frame with everything else off six13 bike

Heres the deal ... I can get the LeChampion for $1100 or I can get the CAAD 9 or the Six13 frames with the same components listed under the Six13 for $1399.

What is your opinion?

NOTE: I do not race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoJoel
    Time to get a new bike and need your opinion.

Here are my Choices
    Motobecane LeChampion SL

Cannondale six13 T2

Cannondale CAAD 9 frame with everything else off six13 bike

Heres the deal ... I can get the LeChampion for $1100 or I can get the CAAD 9 or the Six13 frames with the same components listed under the Six13 for $1399.

What is your opinion?

NOTE: I do not race.
    Six13 if you budget allows it. Overall a better bike.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

Dec 2006
    I have no clue. What are you riding now? What will you be using the bike for? What do you like in a bike? What do you need in a bike? Have you ridden a Six13? A CAAD 9? A Le Champion SL?

FWIW, neither is intrinsically better than the other. Better is determined by what you need. You need to give a lot more info for anyone to make a suggestion, and even after that, the suggestion is only good if it agrees with what your butt tells you after riding your new bike for a while.
    Hit me again, Ike, and put some stank on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The fit on the Le Champion will be different that the Cannondales. The Le Champion is measured Center to Top of Seat Tube. The 54 I bought was a 52 when measured ctc. The Top tube was long, at 55cm. This mean the Heat Tube was short for a 55cm top tube. This will give you a big time drop or stretch you out a lot, depending whether you buy a frame on the big side or the small side of the fit range.
    The Cannondales are more square and normal in their geometry.
    You need to know what you need in terms of size, and start comparing geometries. It's not like buying a car, where you compare components. Fit is paramount. Nothing else matters.

I always recommend making geometry spreadsheets in order to find what works, and what doesn't. Ride as many bikes as you can in order to understand what the numbers mean to your body. Take a tape to the bike store and measure the reach, Top tube, Head Tube etc. and things will start to fall into place. Buy by the numbers and you won't run into as many problems with fit.

It's an epic journey if you do it right, but well worth the time.

Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004

That's a No Fn brainer in my book.

Even if I wasn't biased, that would be a no brainer!

Screw Fit, for $300 more I'd be all over one of the Cdales. Most likely the CAAD 9.

Either Cdale could easily be a bike that you would want to own for life.

IMO there are few aluminum frame bikes that I would choose over a Cdale for $300. Currently I can't think of any.
    Last edited by Lifelover; 02-11-2008 at 05:30 PM.
    Joined the other team in the name of the economy

Dec 2007
    I own the le Champion, very happy with it so far, and the price with the components you get can't be beat, especially since the price includes shipping, tax, and an almost complete build. I bought it with the mindset that if I didnt like the frame I could get rid of it and I would still have a good deal on a great build kit, wheels, etc. I agree it seems to have a long reach but I'll keep it for a while. The CDales, seem to be a good deal although I dont know what they usually go for. I would go with what fits you the best. good luck

Jul 2006
    Well, I was riding a Motobecane record 54c (first bike) but just sold it.

As far as riding ... 100-150 miles a week mostly flat with 1-2 hill workouts/week

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Specialized Tarmac