Help with Road Bike Brands

Oct 2004

Help with Road Bike Brands

I'm a newbie to cycling gear, so I was wandering if anyone could tell me a little about these brands (quality, how much the bikes worth etc) (I've uploaded a photo as well)

The bike's brand is "Record"
    The frame's brand is "Yamaguchi Japan" (dunno if its the same as the Colorado Yamaguchi)
    The pedals are "Shimano"

I don't know much about these brands, so plz tell me a little about them....it's too big for me to ride anyway, so im either giving it to someone else or selling it (so it'll be good if someone could give me a quote)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Arrogant roadie.....
    Well, lets see....it's got chicken levers, garbage pedals, and a chainring protector. I'd say it's worth about $10 at a garage sale.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Too pessimistic

I'm saying it's worth at least $25, though Dave may be right about the price at a garage sale. The picture could not do a better job of obscuring the actual components (can't see the crank, derailleurs, etc.) but even then, it's pretty easy to say that the components are just cheap knock-offs. Record is a model name used for Campagnolo's top of the line parts. This bike doesn't have Campy Record parts, for sure. I'm thinking "Taiwan Record" is more likely.

flinty-eyed moderator
    "Record" is written on the downtube. I would guess 25-45 depending on location (college towns have a pent up demand for bikes like this).
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Oct 2004
    hahaha....ok thanks anyway

Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004

I'll buy it.

Don't listen to these guys Wiz. That is a very high end classic lugged steel bike and just the kind I have been looking for. I will gladly give you $1000.00 for it.

However, I'm located outside of the USA. But don't worry about shipping. I have a contact in the states that owes me quite a bit of money. I will make him handle the shipping over seas.

If it is ok I will have him send you a cashiers check for the total amount he owes me ($7000.00) . Once you deposit it you can wire me the balance and ship the bike to him. Find out how much it cost to pack and ship to the west coast and deduct that amount as well.

AJS
    banned

Wink

Hey LL, it's only worth $850. tops. If you pay a buck more than that you're crazy.

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifelover
    Don't listen to these guys Wiz. That is a very high end classic lugged steel bike and just the kind I have been looking for. I will gladly give you $1000.00 for it.

However, I'm located outside of the USA. But don't worry about shipping. I have a contact in the states that owes me quite a bit of money. I will make him handle the shipping over seas.

If it is ok I will have him send you a cashiers check for the total amount he owes me ($7000.00) . Once you deposit it you can wire me the balance and ship the bike to him. Find out how much it cost to pack and ship to the west coast and deduct that amount as well.
    Are you talking about US$1000? And I don't live in the US, I live in Australia

Arrogant roadie.....
    Quote Originally Posted by dizthewiz
    Are you talking about US$1000? And I don't live in the US, I live in Australia
    I see we have another MENSA member here.........
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

Sep 2004

Dicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Stohler
    I see we have another MENSA member here.........
    Hardy har har. I'm just cracking up here. Diz, they're screwing with you. The $1000 "offer" was a reference to ebay scammers which are unfortunately quite common. How come you weren't born with that information? The rest of us were.

Makes you want to post again doesn't it? Get that tingly feeling that comes from being embraced warmly by a group of bike experts?

Ok, I'm off my high horse now.

Every little counts...
    You guys, trying to Troll a Troll!

Nov 2003
    O come on LL...you wanna scam this bike? Maybe life is too miserable for you to toss 40 bucks to buy it.

when is it obsession?

let's all join hands now...

I'll start us off...

Kum-bay-a My Lord, Kum-bay-a...
    "Oz was wrong: a heart should be judged by how much one loves...not by how much one is loved by others..."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004

Estimated sale value: $100 in Austin

I think it could sell for at least $100 here in Austin, assuming there's nothing obviously bad, like a gritty bottom bracket. And I've sold poorer no-name bikes than this one. It looks like it is in reasonably good condition in the photo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

Aus perspective

Quote Originally Posted by dizthewiz
    I'm a newbie to cycling gear, so I was wandering if anyone could tell me a little about these brands (quality, how much the bikes worth etc) (I've uploaded a photo as well)

The bike's brand is "Record"
    The frame's brand is "Yamaguchi Japan" (dunno if its the same as the Colorado Yamaguchi)
    The pedals are "Shimano"

I don't know much about these brands, so plz tell me a little about them....it's too big for me to ride anyway, so im either giving it to someone else or selling it (so it'll be good if someone could give me a quote)

This bike is a classic, looks similar to my first 10 speed in the early 80's. It even has a rear reflector and the extra brake levers! I would suggest taking it down to your nearest cash converters store and getting your 20 bucks for it. They will have it out the front with the supermarket steel mountain bikes and the old mowers within 2 hours with an 60 buck sticker price, where I'm sure it will become someones pride and joy.