Help Understanding the Numbers
    RoadBikeReview Member

Help Understanding the Numbers

Hi all, Iíd love feedback/help comparing two sets of frame dimensions. One, pictured (I can never get he picture function to work right, apologies in advance) vs the data I have on a bike Iím interested in.

Interested:

• Seat Tube Length: 50cm
    • Effectvie Top Tube Length: 58.1cm
    • Head Tube Angle: 73.5 degrees
    • Set Tube Angle: 73 degrees
    • BB Drop: 7cm
    • Chainstay Length: 40.5cm
    • Top Tube Slope: 8 degrees
    • Estimated Front Center: 59.7cm
    • Head Tube Length: 16.8cm
    • Head Tube Diameter: 1 1/8Ē
    • Seatpost Diameter: 27.2
    • Estimated Standover: 80.4

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PBL450; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:09 PM.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Struggling to make that post work so Iíll continue with another post... pardon the inconvenience. Obviously materials and many other factors are involved, but given the available data what can we know about the key differences between the two bikes? Any feedback is much appreciated!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Struggling to make that post work so Iíll continue with another post... pardon the inconvenience. Obviously materials and many other factors are involved, but given the available data what can we know about the key differences between the two bikes? Any feedback is much appreciated!
    Your post looks fine to me. The diagram is embedded and I can see it without clicking on the link that's there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Your post looks fine to me. The diagram is embedded and I can see it without clicking on the link that's there.
    Thanks,! Iím trying to see what differences in ride and handling can be gleaned from the dimensions above vs the dimensions of my current bike pictured below.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Hi all, Iíd love feedback/help comparing two sets of frame dimensions. One, pictured (I can never get he picture function to work right, apologies in advance) vs the data I have on a bike Iím interested in.

Interested:

• Seat Tube Length: 50cm
    • Effectvie Top Tube Length: 58.1cm
    • Head Tube Angle: 73.5 degrees
    • Set Tube Angle: 73 degrees
    • BB Drop: 7cm
    • Chainstay Length: 40.5cm
    • Top Tube Slope: 8 degrees
    • Estimated Front Center: 59.7cm
    • Head Tube Length: 16.8cm
    • Head Tube Diameter: 1 1/8Ē
    • Seatpost Diameter: 27.2
    • Estimated Standover: 80.4
    Sorry, but I am not going to take the time to create a parallel table with all the measurements taken from the diagram. I suspect few others will either. How about you create the list of numbers for each frame so readers can easily compare them?

Cycling induced anoesis
    The differences that would likely be discernable (IMHO) are:

ETT is ~3 cm's longer on the bike you're interested in. STA only changes by .5 cm, so fore/ aft saddle position would likely be similar, so think about changes in reach and requisite stem length change.

HTA is ~1 degree more on the bike of interest, so assuming a fork rake of ~45 degrees, steering will be quicker.

HTL is just under 1 cm taller on the bike of interest. All else being equal (spacers, stem angle) bars *may* be a bit higher on that bike.

Wheelbase is slightly shorter on the bike of interest - also quicker handling.

While stand over (IMO) isn't really a fit parameter, I like to be able to straddle a bike, so if it matters to you, the difference is 80.4 versus your current 77.4.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Seat tube is too long......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    The differences that would likely be discernable (IMHO) are:

ETT is ~3 cm's longer on the bike you're interested in. STA only changes by .5 cm, so fore/ aft saddle position would likely be similar, so think about changes in reach and requisite stem length change.

HTA is ~1 degree more on the bike of interest, so assuming a fork rake of ~45 degrees, steering will be quicker.

HTL is just under 1 cm taller on the bike of interest. All else being equal (spacers, stem angle) bars *may* be a bit higher on that bike.

Wheelbase is slightly shorter on the bike of interest - also quicker handling.

While stand over (IMO) isn't really a fit parameter, I like to be able to straddle a bike, so if it matters to you, the difference is 80.4 versus your current 77.4.
    Thank you, I appreciate your reply. The relationship between the longer ETT and shorter wheelbase is something I am interested in... The bike Iím interested in was a custom frame ( I think), so there isnít a frame diagram to compare apples to apples. The data that is there is what he seller supplied. I use a 125 stem with zero set back now so that difference could be absorbed with any fuss. Both bikes are a size 58. 3 extra cm standover shouldnít be a problem. Again, thanks for your reply!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Seat tube is too long......
    Thanks NTT, am I reading something wrong? Iím riding a 49 and the new one is 50?