HK CF frame? How about US CF frame w/warranty....?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

HK CF frame? How about US CF frame w/warranty....?

I see the posts about the carbon frames from China and HK for $499 but, tempting as they are, I'd away simply due to no recourse if frame fails. Warranty, replacement hanger...etc. Those things are important.

I'm wondering what is the value of warranty, service, spare parts, etc.? Is there a consensus?

n00bsauce
    You get what you pay for. You're paying a cheap price for a Chinese frame with no warranty. However, you can probably buy two to three Chinese frames for the price of one frame from a manufacturer with a warranty. Many manufacturer warranties are limited by what they cover or time and it may cost you several hundred dollars to get your frame "warrantied".

You do have recourse if your Chines frame fails. You can get it fixed if the failure is fixable (Calfee does great work and there are others) or you can buy a new frame. Both of these could very likely be less costly than buying a warrantied frame. BTW, what do you do with a warrantied frame if it fails outside the warranty? You buy a new frame or get the broken one fixed. Same as the Chinese frame.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    One question, are these Chinese frames even stress tested? It seems like they are alot cheaper for their willingness to cut a lot of corners.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    They are, there are videos in hung fu website. And I crashed one pretty hard head on colision going 18 MPH with a metal railing and eneded up riding home 12 miles (ave. 20 MPH) without me realizing it. I came home safely and the frame is still good for trainers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Where do you think 90% of the big name carbon frames come from?? China and Taiwan..... they are made in the same factories that make the $499 dollar frames we see... and if my Chinese frame breaks, I will be able to get 4-5 more frames for the price it will take to replace the $3000 to $5000 big name frame. And when that big name breaks..... the price of admission is going to be 3-5 k again... just bought my first Chinese frame and I don't see any indication that corners were cut...

http://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328

On a different mission...
    Warranty? hahahaa...try making it PAST quality control!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zachariah; 10-15-2009 at 03:13 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I guess it depends what's important to you. I'd been looking at the ebay frames for 3 months but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. I ended up going with a US distributor who is closing out their road frames. It has a 5 year warranty so if there's a problem or if I need a replacement derailleur hanger I know where to get one. I paid $799 including shipping but it was worth it to me. I'll try to post a picture once I figure out how. New to forum. I'll add a link below...but I didn't get that paint.

My brother has had one of their carbon tri bikes for 3 years and loves it. I assume the quality will be the same with the road frame. How much difference can there be?
    Now I need the parts.
    http://www.valdoracycles.com/valdora..._road_bike.asp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    You can get good chinese CF frames through a US importer who provides the warranty. Pedal Force would be an example. They have been around for a while and are reliable.

Check their prices vs direct from asia to get an idea what the warranty and support costs are. Keep in mind that an extra set of hands touching the frames also means an extra layer of profit (otherwise there's no point to them doing it).

I've been happy with my Pedal Force QS2 and I know other happy PF riders. It's worth it for some people to pay a bit extra for support.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Pedal force used to operate only from Singapore. I bought a frame from them about 8-9 years ago. The frame was shipped by postal service and I didn't have the best experience. I guess they must have an importer here handling orders. The frame, fork, headset that I recently bought is in line price wise with the PF frames except that.....it's not PF. ; )

RoadBikeReview Member

Peace of mind

Depends on how much the peace of mind is worth to you.

To me, not that much, coz I am a super rational person. Over the years I have had probably several dozen bikes, including Nags, Pinas, Litespeed, Trek, Tommasini, Wilier, De Rosa, C'dale, Spec, Scott, Giant, Time, BMC, etc... you name it, including several cheap Taiwan frames.

I have had to use warranty once once (approx $700 value) ... and repairs 3-4 times which weren't covered by warranty anyway.

So out of a total of $100K+ worth of bikes over about 15 years, I have had less than $1K worth of warranty work, ie, less than 1% of the total value. Others' experience may vary, but I can't imagine someone having more than 10% warranty work, given a big enough sample size.

If you break a $500 frame, what's the big deal? A good handle bar costs more than that now.

To me, the difference between a $500 frame and a $5000 big name, is not the warranty, but many other reasons (design, graphics, vanity, heritage, QC, etc.).

May 2009

Valdora

I picked up a Valdora XRD with warranty on close out for $899 about 8 months ago. A couple of my buddies ended up getting the same deal. Great bikes!!!! At the time they were trying to close out all of their road bikes and focusing on Tri bikes only. I bet you can get them even cheaper now if they still have them in stock. ...... www.valdoracycles.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    My 6 month old Pedal Force cracked on the down tube. I sent them pics, they said send it back. New frame shipped from Asia a few days later, no questions asked. They have a 5year warranty, so I'm not too worried. I'm bummed to be without the bike for a while, but that's the way it goes sometimes. At least the frame held up for the rest of my ride home!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008

Chinese Carbon

I also have a Pedal Force frame, from about 2003, and in terms of construction and reliablilty it has been fine. The PF fork, on the other hand, was too flexy for me, (I'm 6'2" and... uh, somewhat over 100 kilos...); I ended up with an Alpha-Q Z-Pro (steerer tube breakage being my ultimate nightmare). The geo isn't perfect for me, and it has no bling factor, (to other cyclists; non-cyclists always seem to think it's really "fancy" and expensive), but it's what I could afford at the time, and it's been great. I have had to put up with some scorn from Colnagists etc. about it, but so what. I like it well enough that I upgraded the parts from used 600/ultegra 8 to on-sale/clearance/eBay-sniped DA7800, Deda Zero100, etc. I expect to keep riding it for quite a while.
    Doglearn89

RoadBikeReview Member
    don't think for a second that a frame shipped directly from an alibaba agent or an ebay "bikefuntoday' type store will be made with any concern for Quality Control. Read Dan Empfield's now classic article on the Asian bike industry http://www.slowtwitch.com/Features/T...e_biz_271.html Look at the issues that people are now having with 'hongfu' bikes - websites down, official government letters posted on the site, disappearing ebay stores etc.

There's also a number of tip offs that the bikes floating around ebay and alibaba are of suspect quality - for most of them the claimed weights are substantially more than the frames they resemble, a tip off that low grade CF is used. I suspect a couple of factories are churning out cheaply made stuff (despite all the agents on alibaba there's really only a handful of distinct frames). At interbike this year there were a lot of outstanding state of the art frames with wholesale prices around $500-600 for fairly small batches - but these are not the frames you see on alibaba or ebay. My own opinion is that unless you're really willing to gamble it's worth having at least somone like pedalforce standing behind the product and ensuring good sourcing of their frames.

RoadBikeReview Member
    "At interbike this year there were a lot of outstanding state of the art frames with wholesale prices around $500-600 for fairly small batches"

stevesbike,

Would you care to elaborate?

Thanx,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike
    don't think for a second that a frame shipped directly from an alibaba agent or an ebay "bikefuntoday' type store will be made with any concern for Quality Control. Read Dan Empfield's now classic article on the Asian bike industry http://www.slowtwitch.com/Features/T...e_biz_271.html Look at the issues that people are now having with 'hongfu' bikes - websites down, official government letters posted on the site, disappearing ebay stores etc.
    Dan wrote that 7 years ago, things have changed a lot over 7 years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbubbles
    Could you tell us in what ways things have changed?

By the way, as far as I know, there is no such thing as a "Hong Kong" carbon frame, as alluded to in the thread title. There is very little manufacturing in HK, and hasn't been for quite a while. Real estate and (to a lesser extent) labor are too expensive compared to the mainland. HK is a financial and "logistics" (shipping) centre. (I have lived in HK since 1998).
    -doglearn89

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbubbles
    and not for the better in terms of quality control - the article was written around the time when many Taiwanese factories were moving/adding production to mainland China, where quality control is even more problematic and manufacturing almost completely unregulated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    For my $425 I am willing to take that chance.... I get to have a carbon bike for cash without pulling a 3 year note to pay for a brand name bike... my initial impression is favorable.. the quality looks fine the Hongfu C/S and communication impeccable and I got my order quicker from China than if it came across country using the big brown machine.. Also, on numerous bike forums there are just as many stories about domestic warranties not being honored or pro-rated.... with that said.... time will tell with my frame and whether it will hold up and be money well spent....I suspect it will... YMMV

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I'm with Playonit here as far as risking 500 bucks for a frame with paint,decals and warranty would cost $3000. I must say that I likely wouldn't take that risk were it not for the brave souls that went before me. Sure, the carbon may not be as good, the frame 200 grams heavier, but 2500 bucks has a way of offsetting such quibbles. If they are unsafe and exploding left and right, I am sure the grim tales would fill these threads.

But there is the road in between: see here This appears to be a reputable company which distributes a number of brands as well as their own house brand, Velocite, which is US based.

I found this blog and the comments interesting: Some of this may have appeared here and related posts, if so sorry for the redundancy.

As far as website outages, I don't see how it is the fault of Hong Fu or any other company if the govt's insistence on periodically re-imaging the net or whatever is it they do to keep it fit for public consumption. I don't mind, plenty of US companies without even that excuse.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

I guess if I had the extra 400 or so I'd get a 2009 Velocite with free shipping and extended warranty. But there are plenty of very happy customers here with the Hong Fu's so thats where my $$ is headed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    buy whatever you like - personally, I'd shell out a bit more to get something like the pedalforce QS3. For around $800 you get a frame that is almost 50% lighter than the hongfu, high modulus CF, a tapered heattube, BB30 option saving even more weight, and a 5 year warranty. There's a difference between a cheap frame and a value frame...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike
    At interbike this year there were a lot of outstanding state of the art frames with wholesale prices around $500-600 for fairly small batches - but these are not the frames you see on alibaba or ebay.
    stevesbike,

Exactly who are these state of the art frame makers with wholesale prices around $500-600 for fairly small batches? What number of frames/framesets would qualify for these prices?

Thanx,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Whoa. The QS3 is spec'ed at 900 gms; at most I think the Hong Fu is 1200, but forget what the weights people measured are after tubes have been cut. The Hong Fu has BB30, ISP, and tapered 1.125 to 1.5 headset as well. So again it is the warranty that one mostly pays for. Again, my post was that many people might find the middle road more comfortable and was just trying to expand options beyond Pedal Force, not take sides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003

Hong Fu Frameset

Here's my custom painted Hong Fu HF-FM015-SPL frameset I just received. It took 50 days from the time I won the auction in ebay but it's worth the wait. If you guys want to buy a frame from Hong Fu you have to be patient. If they have the frame in stock it will be faster but it will take 40 to 60 days if they have to manufacture it. Looking forward to building it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jul 2009
    that thing is so hot fab4, how much extra for custom paint?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast