How much mileage is "high" mileage?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003

How much mileage is "high" mileage?

Hello,

I'm looking at purchasing a 2000 Cannondale R1000 that has 5,000 miles. I don't ride very much, so that seems like a lot of miles. How does that amount of mileage effect the frame?

The rear hub has been re-built and the seller is asking $800 for the bike.

Any thoughts or information would be appreciated.

John

Ti me up
    5000 miles is not a whole lot of mileage for a quality bike. That's about a year's worth of riding for me, and a lot of guys on here will do far more than that. Frames, except for super-lightweights, will last most riders indefinitely. Many of us still have very old frames that we're still riding. Unless there's damage to it, nothing really to worry about there. Good components will also last a long time. You don't say how this is equipped, but R1000s I've seen on eBay have typically been equipped with Ultegra components. At 5000 miles, you'll probably want to check the condition of the chain and rear cassette. If he hasn't replaced them, they're probably due. Check the Park Tool website under Repair Help. I think they have good info on checking and replacing those things.

Is it worth $800? Really depends on componentry and condition. Seems to be about the going price on eBay, some higher, some lower. Many of the ones being sold there have less than 5K miles, though, and if it proves you'll have to replace chain and/or cassette, there's roughly $100 to figure into the equation if you do it yourself., maybe a bit more if you pay a shop to do it.

Again, assuming it's Ultegra, those are great components, but something to think about is that in the fall, Ultegra 10-speed comes out, and the resale value of the bike will likely drop more than it would under other conditions. If it turns out you don't like the bike as much as you think, you might not get as much back as you'd expect.

Others may have additional thoughts - those are just some things to think about.
    Michael

You see lots of happy cyclists. When was the last time you saw a runner smiling?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree with the above poster.
    When were the chain/cogs replaced? If they are due, like he said, that's close to $100. Cables? That could be another $25. Tires? Brake pads?

Depending on the above factors, you have a variance of around $200, which sways the $800 question a good bit. Hope this helps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003
    Thanks to everyone for the replies! This is information that I didn't know to ask about.

The bike is equipped with Ultegra, except for the brakes which are 105, and the rear derailer which is dura ace. The rear hub has been re-built, but I'm not sure when. I'll find out about it and the rear cassette and chain.

Once again thanks for the advice! Here is the bike I'm looking at:

http://marketplace.consumerreview.co...uery=retrieval

John

RoadBikeReview Member
    If it originally had a triple, at least the chain has been replaced. It says it has been maintained well, so that usually means new chains and cables. good luck