RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006

How much tire clearance recommended

Hi
    I have a new Ridley Helium SLX frame with Zipp 303 wheels (17.5mm internal width). Getting about 3mm of clearance between 25mm Conti 4000s tire and DS chainstay. I put some helicopter tape there and one little scuff mark (barely noticeable) after 300 miles on wet roads. I hate to go back to 23mm tires on this new frame but is 3-4mm too little clearance.
    Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    If you break a spoke, it will be probably too tight.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookbiker View Post
    Hi
    I have a new Ridley Helium SLX frame with Zipp 303 wheels (17.5mm internal width). Getting about 3mm of clearance between 25mm Conti 4000s tire and DS chainstay. I put some helicopter tape there and one little scuff mark (barely noticeable) after 300 miles on wet roads. I hate to go back to 23mm tires on this new frame but is 3-4mm too little clearance.
    That should be fine - enough room to allow small bits of road debris to pass. Hopefully you have the tools/skills to deal with a broken spoke or a wheel that goes a bit out of true due to hitting something on the road. Riding any significant distance with the tire rubbing on the frame is NOT a good thing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would not worry about one little scuff mark in 300 miles unless it is a groove. That wouldn't be good.

If you are very concerned about this, keep in mind that higher spoke count wheels don't flex as much, so are less likely to rub.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks. Ridley got back to me and said they spec Vittoria Rubino Pro and Corsa 25mm tires on that bike. In my experience, those spec'd tires run as wide as Continental 4000s tires so the Conti 25mm should be fine with that clearance.

Rub it............
    The Conti's run wide. A 25mm GP4000 actually measures almost 28mm when mounted. My 28mm GP4000's measure 29.8mm on a 18mm ID rim.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I would not worry about one little scuff mark in 300 miles unless it is a groove.
    I would. Small after only 300 miles probably isn't going to stay small after 3000 or whatever. And if it scuffs after just routine riding that doesn't give any room for a small-ish out of true wheel wich is almost certain to happen eventually.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the replies. I measured a Vittoria Corsa 25mm tire, Ridley’s spec’d tire, and it was the same width as my Conti 4000s 25mm tires (same rim for both).