How nice of a bike would you buy?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

How nice of a bike would you buy?

Ok, planning on getting pretty serious about racing soon. Have ridden/raced for years but mostly for fun. In getting a new race bike light weight, durability and performance are a concern, how nice of a bike would you buy? There are lots of great bikes in the $2K range; mostly with Ultegra stuff. If you could afford it would you buy a D/A or Chorus bike to race as a Cat. 5? Is that geeky? I've seen plenty of 5's on expensive bikes and plenty on cheap old used Ultegra bikes. I would worry if I were doing mostly crits due to cost of repairs after crashes. So for the weekend warriors, how nice of a bike can you justify to race on? I'll get equally dropped by better riders no matter what I'm riding. Any input is appreciated.
    Good riding.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by c-record
    Ok, planning on getting pretty serious about racing soon. Have ridden/raced for years but mostly for fun. In getting a new race bike light weight, durability and performance are a concern, how nice of a bike would you buy? There are lots of great bikes in the $2K range; mostly with Ultegra stuff. If you could afford it would you buy a D/A or Chorus bike to race as a Cat. 5? Is that geeky? I've seen plenty of 5's on expensive bikes and plenty on cheap old used Ultegra bikes. I would worry if I were doing mostly crits due to cost of repairs after crashes. So for the weekend warriors, how nice of a bike can you justify to race on? I'll get equally dropped by better riders no matter what I'm riding. Any input is appreciated.
    Good riding.
    buy whatever you can afford to crash and trash.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones
    buy whatever you can afford to crash and trash.
    Sounds like Ultegra. Seems to be a proliferation of the stuff for the price/performance ratio.