ISP vs non-ISP - durability in crash?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006

ISP vs non-ISP - durability in crash?

I'm considering buying a new frame and some of the models I'm looking at have integrated seat posts (Giant, Look, Scott, etc). But I'm wondering how durable these seat posts would be in a crash. I'm currently riding a traditional frame with round seatpost and it seems that every time I've crashed my saddle ends up rotating quite a bit, but thankfully the frame and post have always been OK. Would an ISP (or any non-round seatpost design) be more likely to break under a twisting force?

RoadBikeReview Member
    yet another reason found not to buy an ISP. The cons list is much longer than the pros list. Bummer, cause they look so cool.

banned
    Con? Was there proof somewhere that ISPs are more prone to breaking? Where is that rash of broken ISPs on Giants, Scotts, Looks, et al? Oh, that's right: there isn't a rash.

Cpark
    Quote Originally Posted by P.D.E.
    I'm considering buying a new frame and some of the models I'm looking at have integrated seat posts (Giant, Look, Scott, etc). But I'm wondering how durable these seat posts would be in a crash. I'm currently riding a traditional frame with round seatpost and it seems that every time I've crashed my saddle ends up rotating quite a bit, but thankfully the frame and post have always been OK. Would an ISP (or any non-round seatpost design) be more likely to break under a twisting force?
    I think your saddle will break first if you crash hard with ISP equiped bike.
    I don't have any scientific evidence but that's the way I feel.
    ISP sure do look nice but I don't think you will notice the different (weight savings).

For me, not able to put it in my travel case was a deal breaker....