Jamis Nova Questions.
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020

Jamis Nova Questions.

Hey Everyone...I recently picked up a 2004 Jamis Nova knowing it would be a work in progress adventure. The frame is in overall descent condition but it's missing the fork, wheels, headset, chain, seat and seat post. My question is what can I figure on spending just to get it operational? I've only got $40 in it so far and I'm only going to be a one or two time a week leisure rider, that said...Is it possible to do this for $200 or less?

racfan12

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Doubtful...but my crystal ball is currently under quarantine.
    #promechaniclife

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by racfan12 View Post
    Is it possible to do this for $200 or less?
    Nope, not if you intend on buying new stuff. Wheels (that you'd enjoy riding) will cost you over $200.

Used... maybe.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020
    Thanks for the replies cxwrench and tig. I should have said in my post the $200 budget was for used not new components. I don't want to go all out right now, I did a lot of riding back in the 90's but very little since 2005. I'll be 65 in Sept.

Banned Sock Puppet
    eBay is your friend.

That being said, you know this will be a labor of love. At the end of the day, you will not save $$ over a comparable budget road bike. It will definitely be over $200 to get this bike rolling.
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Never Give Up!
    I doubt it... just randomly pulling pricing from Nashbar using a range with lower end components and guessing you could easy spend $500 / $600.

1) Headset (going to depend if internal or external cups): $45 to $80
    2) Seat post: $30
    3) Saddle: $40
    4) Chain (10spd): $30
    5) Forks: $92
    6) Wheels: $350
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020
    Thanks ROAD&DIRT, I think I'm just going to focus on a Fork and Headset for now. I can use my wives wheelset, seat and seat post off her Giant road bike, that will at least get me to the point I can ride it to see if it's going to work for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Thanks for the replies cxwrench and tig. I should have said in my post the $200 budget was for used not new components. I don't want to go all out right now, I did a lot of riding back in the 90's but very little since 2005. I'll be 65 in Sept.
    Your best bet would be to buy a used bike for $250-$300, take the parts off it you need, and then sell the rest to get your total cost down to $200. Of course the used bike might be a better bet than what you end up with on the Jamis path, but that is your call.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020
    I've kicked that idea around. My main issue with that idea is knowing if the fork from a donor bike is going to fit the Jamis.

Neophyte
    Geometry for 2004 Nova is here:
    https://www.jamisbikes.com/catalog_a...IS_CATALOG.pdf

Fork rake for every size frame that year for Nova was 50 mm, I think 45 is a more common size now but I'm not an expert. This may or may not change your ride to a noticeable degree. Looks like good old 1 1/8" non-tapered steerer tube, non-integrated headset... also looks like setup was canti brakes.

Original fork is listed as "Kinesis carbon fork, alloy brake bosses, eyeletted dropouts"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020
    I'm curious jetdog9...I measured the openings of the headtube and I came up with 1 1/8" on top and 1 1/4" on the bottom, I'm I doing something wrong measuring the tube?

I'm curious jetdog9...I measured the openings of the headtube and I came up with 1 1/8" on top and 1 1/4" on the bottom, I'm I doing something wrong measuring the tube?
    You might be...measure 3 times at least. You know what they say. Your big problem w/ the fork is finding one that with the same axle-to-crown length as the one you currently have. CX forks are always longer and that will mess us your head tube angle thus screwing up your trail. You need a fork w/ the same offset AND length.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020
    I know this bike was advertised by Jamis as a CX bike when new. I will only be riding on pavement so would the fork for cx be different than pavement?

I know this bike was advertised by Jamis as a CX bike when new. I will only be riding on pavement so would the fork for cx be different than pavement?
    Did you read my last post?
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020
    I did. The problem is I don't have the fork, frame and groupset only. I have re-measured the head tube and I'm still getting 1 1/8" top and not quiet 1 1/4" bottom. I'm using a set of calipers to get the measurments.

I did. The problem is I don't have the fork, frame and groupset only. I have re-measured the head tube and I'm still getting 1 1/8" top and not quiet 1 1/4" bottom. I'm using a set of calipers to get the measurments.
    Call Jamis on Monday.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020
    Will do. Thanks