Looking for a Carbon bike under $1800 w/ 2x10 speed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: TehYoyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    304

    Looking for a Carbon bike under $1800 w/ 2x10 speed

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    829
    My Fuji Altamira was $1399. Full carbon with 105 drivetrain. You should have a good selection of carbon bikes in that price range, although advice for one to fit your needs will be hard since you have said nothing about what your looking for in a bike.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,541
    Quote Originally Posted by TehYoyo View Post
    Any ideas?
    Save Up To 60% Off Shimano Ultegra 6800 11 Speed Road Bikes | Carbon Fiber | Roadbikes - 2014 Motobecane Immortal Ice
    full 11 speed ultegra, aksium wheelset, richey stem, post, bars, and headset, and a solid monocoque. im not sure I see a better value pound for pound....that group is super super sweet

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,471
    Quote Originally Posted by TehYoyo View Post
    Any ideas?
    Well, there are a lot of good options for under $1800 but you need to post more info about what you need before I can help.

  5. #5
    HERKWO
    Reputation: Herkwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    726
    Check out competitivecyclist.com for numerous carbon options in your pricepoint. They have Wilier, Orbea, & Merckx that would fit the bill... Here is where I'd look:
    Merckx EMX-3/Shimano Ultegra Complete Road Bike - 2012 | Competitive Cyclist
    HERKWO
    ____________________________
    2005 Airborne Manhattan Project
    2010 Colnago CX-1

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Herkwo View Post
    Check out competitivecyclist.com for numerous carbon options in your pricepoint. They have Wilier, Orbea, & Merckx that would fit the bill... Here is where I'd look:
    Merckx EMX-3/Shimano Ultegra Complete Road Bike - 2012 | Competitive Cyclist
    nice bike.but a lot of very small sizes...

  7. #7
    Heartless B*tch
    Reputation: Jen_I_Am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    231
    Orbea Orca Bronze/SRAM Rival Complete Road Bike - 2013 | Competitive Cyclist

    This is a really good deal $1264- almost half price.
    2011 Orbea Orca Gold
    2013 Orbea Aqua TPX

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,541

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,885
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,541
    f5 has no competition in this area. the wheels on the mavic hubs are heavy, and the fsa crank, meh. but the 105 is for real. and that frame is one solid piece. of. dynamite. z5 too.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,885
    Quote Originally Posted by easyridernyc View Post
    f5 has no competition in this area. the wheels on the mavic hubs are heavy, and the fsa crank, meh. but the 105 is for real. and that frame is one solid piece. of. dynamite. z5 too.
    I can't disagree at all man. If he's looking for a race bike or pure speed on a budget, that 's it. Cannondale also has a couple of options in that price range.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  12. #12
    HERKWO
    Reputation: Herkwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by easyridernyc View Post
    nice bike.but a lot of very small sizes...
    Not exactly... You have to refer to their odd size classifications. Check out the geometry chart for the specifics. For example, their size 42 has an effective top tube of 51.9 (which most manufacturers would classify it as a 52cm or Small), size 45 = 53.4, size 48 = 55.0, etc.
    So, essentially they have the Merckx EMX-3 in all the standard sizes from a 52cm (small) to a 58cm (Large) for $1899.
    Last edited by Herkwo; 01-03-2014 at 06:21 AM.
    HERKWO
    ____________________________
    2005 Airborne Manhattan Project
    2010 Colnago CX-1

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: SBard1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    484
    If it doesn't have to be carbon, a friend of mine just picked up a last years CAAD10 with 105 for next to nothing, then you'll have some leftover cash to buy a decent wheel set.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    101

    Re: Looking for a Carbon bike under $1800 w/ 2x10 speed

    Quote Originally Posted by Jen_I_Am View Post
    Orbea Orca Bronze/SRAM Rival Complete Road Bike - 2013 | Competitive Cyclist

    This is a really good deal $1264- almost half price.
    I have one of these hanging in my garage. Great bike. Smooth ride and certainly stiff enough unless you are a 1000+ watt crit masher.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,541
    let me check on that...thx

    Quote Originally Posted by Herkwo View Post
    Not exactly... You have to refer to their odd size classifications. Check out the geometry chart for the specifics. For example, their size 42 has an effective top tube of 51.9 (which most manufacturers would classify it as a 52cm or Small), size 45 = 53.4, size 48 = 55.0, etc.
    So, essentially they have the Merckx EMX-3 in all the standard sizes from a 52cm (small) to a 58cm (Large) for $1899.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Herkwo View Post
    Not exactly... You have to refer to their odd size classifications. Check out the geometry chart for the specifics. For example, their size 42 has an effective top tube of 51.9 (which most manufacturers would classify it as a 52cm or Small), size 45 = 53.4, size 48 = 55.0, etc.
    So, essentially they have the Merckx EMX-3 in all the standard sizes from a 52cm (small) to a 58cm (Large) for $1899.
    I stand corrected. the bike also comes highly recommended from cc...

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,541
    Quote Originally Posted by SBard1985 View Post
    If it doesn't have to be carbon, a friend of mine just picked up a last years CAAD10 with 105 for next to nothing, then you'll have some leftover cash to buy a decent wheel set.
    where do you get a caad ten for under 1800 and still have 500 bucks left over for a new wheelset?

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: TehYoyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    I can't disagree at all man. If he's looking for a race bike or pure speed on a budget, that 's it. Cannondale also has a couple of options in that price range.
    That's what I'm looking for. A pure race bike, period.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,885
    Quote Originally Posted by TehYoyo View Post
    That's what I'm looking for. A pure race bike, period.
    Then, I don't think you need to look much further than the Felt F5. It also comes with a limited lifetime warranty and a crash replacement program. The Scott Foil I provided a link to is also a race bike and you could probably also get a base level Cannondale Supersix Evo in that price range, but the Felt would be tough to beat in this price range in my opinion. You just won't find many bikes that are this light and ride with this quality for less than $2000.

    Felt F5 review - BikeRadar
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Then, I don't think you need to look much further than the Felt F5. It also comes with a limited lifetime warranty and a crash replacement program. The Scott Foil I provided a link to is also a race bike and you could probably also get a base level Cannondale Supersix Evo in that price range, but the Felt would be tough to beat in this price range in my opinion. You just won't find many bikes that are this light and ride with this quality for less than $2000.

    Felt F5 review - BikeRadar
    If you decide to go with the Foil, RAcycles always seems to have a good deal going on prior year models. It also looks like 2014 Felt F5 now allows for routing electronic drivetrains internally should you decide to switch over down the road.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    If you decide to go with the Foil, RAcycles always seems to have a good deal going on prior year models. It also looks like 2014 Felt F5 now allows for routing electronic drivetrains internally should you decide to switch over down the road.
    r and a is sold out of 2013 f5. doesn't look like they are carrying new felts for 2014....

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,885
    Quote Originally Posted by easyridernyc View Post
    r and a is sold out of 2013 f5. doesn't look like they are carrying new felts for 2014....
    No, R&A is for the Scott Foil, you have to go through a local bike shop to get the Felt or someone like Bike Doctor of Waldorf, Tri Bonzai, Belotti Sports, etc.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Then, I don't think you need to look much further than the Felt F5. It also comes with a limited lifetime warranty and a crash replacement program. The Scott Foil I provided a link to is also a race bike and you could probably also get a base level Cannondale Supersix Evo in that price range, but the Felt would be tough to beat in this price range in my opinion. You just won't find many bikes that are this light and ride with this quality for less than $2000.

    Felt F5 review - BikeRadar
    to be fair, the caad ten is an awesome, race caliber bike. maybe the best aluminum frame in its class (although some felt 75 owners might differ, I always thought my 09 75 with carbon stays, fork, and steerer was right there). last year's specialized race allez, with the e-5 frame, is also right there with caad tenl. although they didnt spec the e 5with a 105 this year, the e 5 frame with tiagra, called allez comp for 2014, is a dynamite and explosive option at 1350 bucks. the complete bike is downgraded a bit, but that frame is, in my opinion, every bit as good as the caad. I own one myself from several years back and it is fast and furious as hell. a first class racing machine, and really, a steal at that price.

    Specialized Bicycle Components

    the wheels are probably heavy, and tiagra isn't really a race level group. but the frame is worth the investment. also looks super aguri. otherwise spesh doesn't really have a low cost carbon frame; the Roubaix you can get but with a sora group, even lower than tiagra. plus the Roubaix isn't (marketed, anyway) as a racing frame. although most guys who own it will tell you it flies like the effin wind. good thing about the allez frame is in addition to being primo engineered aluminum, welded shut, is it basically has the same footprint as tarmac. which makes it faster, man. you can also get a specialized tarmac frame, an AWESOME frame btw, with a tiagra group and heavy wheels, starting at 2100. but the sora group will probably not sustain a racing level load, like buying a corvette and putting a chevy engine inside. a tarmac with a 105 is pretty much gonna cost you 2800 and up, no way around it, more if you want good wheels.

    super six and evo vs felt f series, I go felt every time and twice on sunday, but that's just me Im a felt guy...
    Last edited by easyridernyc; 01-03-2014 at 08:16 PM.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,885
    Quote Originally Posted by easyridernyc View Post
    to be fair, the caad ten is an awesome, race caliber bike. maybe the best aluminum frame in its class (although some felt 75 owners might differ, I always thought my 09 75 with carbon stays, fork, and steerer was right there). last year's specialized race allez, with the e-5 frame, is also right there with caad tenl. although they didnt spec the e 5 with a 105 this year, the frame with tiagra, allez comp for 14 at 1350 is a dynamite and explosive option at 1350. the complete bike is consequently downgraded a bit, but that frame is, in my opinion, every bit as good as the caad. I own one myself from several years back and it is fast and furious as hell. a first class racing machine, and really, a steal at that price.

    Specialized Bicycle Components

    the wheels are probably heavy, and tiagra isn't really a race level group. but the frame is worth the investment. also looks super aguri. spesh doesn't really have a low cost carbon frame; the Roubaix you can get but with a sora group, even lower than tiagra. plus the Roubaix isn't (marketed, anyway) as a racing frame. although most guys who own it will tell you it flies like the effin wind. good thing about the allez frame is in addition to being primo engineered aluminum, welded shut, is it basically has the same footprint as tarmac. which makes it faster, man.
    I agree actually. Both the Specialized Allez Smartweld and the Cannondale Caad 10 are very solid choices if he is interested in alloy. They are very nice race bikes, especially for crits. I would probably still take the Felt F5 over either all things considered though.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    I agree actually. Both the Specialized Allez Smartweld and the Cannondale Caad 10 are very solid choices if he is interested in alloy. They are very nice race bikes, especially for crits. I would probably still take the Felt F5 over either all things considered though.
    me too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Review of Ebay: 1800 Lumen CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle bike HeadLight Lamp
    By spartacus001 in forum Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 02-15-2014, 01:03 AM
  2. A modern, high quality 2x5 speed or 2x10 with friction shifting?
    By PdxMark in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-21-2009, 02:19 PM
  3. Good bike in $1800-$2500 range
    By oz25 in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03-25-2008, 03:52 PM
  4. New CL Scam - 2007 Trek Equinox TTX 9.9 Time Trial Bike - $1800
    By niterider in forum Classifieds Feedback - Scam Warnings
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 03:16 PM
  5. $1800-2000 road bike: looking for advice
    By MSC2 in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 05:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.