Lynskey R240/R250 vs. Trek Emonda ALR frameset
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015

Lynskey R240/R250 vs. Trek Emonda ALR frameset

I currently have a 2011 Lynskey Cooper. I've had it since new, and it's been a great, comfortable bike. The trouble is that I've recently ridden some newer, stiffer, more responsive bikes like a Madone and an aluminum Emonda. Neither rode as well, but they certainly weren't awful (and a switch to 28s would definitely help). The Emonda in particular really felt like little was wasted under high power situations. I rode the Cooper and a Madone 5.2 on the same ride, and yeah, the difference is there. The Cooper is more comfortable and no slower, but the Madone and Emonda do the point and squirt thing better, which is fun. All in my head? Maybe, but that's all that really matters.

So, since I can't find a Lynskey R240 or R250 to test, has anybody ridden either one? If so, does it approach the reactiveness/stiffness/whatever of something like an Emonda ALR?

The other side of the equation is cost... the Emonda frameset is under a grand, and the Lynskey can be had for ~$1500 on sale. That $500 means I could keep my Cooper frame if I wanted, and I'd be no more out of pocket than buying the R250. I like US made Ti frames, but I also like Trek. Both have lifetime warranties, and both are pretty solid companies to deal with.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Pisgah2000; 01-23-2017 at 04:07 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Apples & oranges. The Cooper frame geometry compared to the Trek's are vastly different. The Madone is supposed to be a do-it-all aero bike while the Emonda is built for climbing. Both are race oriented bikes ie. meaning a low & stretched out front end.

The Cooper is supposed to be a do-it-all gravel grinder/cx bike & so the comparison isn't really fair. Maybe it is time for another bike by the sounds of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    Sorry, I should have clarified - my Cooper is the old straight-gauge road frame, not the current CX bike. I'd imagine it's similar to the current R150. This is it:

I'm more interested in how the R250, which is supposed to be stiffer than my Cooper/R150, compares to something like the Emonda ALR. From a value standpoint, I'm leaning towards the ALR 6 Pro and selling the Vision 40 wheelset. It's hard to beat at this pricepoint.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I have a Lynskey R240. I consider it a fairly compliant, long distance bike; not a racing oriented bike at all. I would not refer to is as stiff. I have not ridden either of the Treks so I can't compare
    Last edited by DaveG; 01-26-2017 at 10:00 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks for the information about the R240. That's kind of what I was thinking. It's not like the Cooper is an excessively flexy bike or anything, but I also wouldn't call it particularly stiff when compared to other bikes I've ridden.

The other day, I rode my Cooper and the Emonda back-to-back over the same route. The Emonda rode a little more harshly (could have been the narrower tires or carbon wheels) and felt a slightly more direct under acceleration, I guess, but drivetrain performance was the biggest positive difference that I noticed. So in the end, I decided to just upgrade the Cooper to 6800. That's a lot cheaper and more fun anyway.

I think the big change I notice with my wife's Madone is because it's a couple of pounds lighter, smaller, and is likely even stiffer than the Emonda. That's going to be expensive to replicate, and I don't think I care that much. If I want to get that feeling, I'll just snag her bike again. That's free.