Merida Scultura bottom bracket problem.
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019

Merida Scultura bottom bracket problem.

Hi Folks
    I've got a 2012 Merida Scultura, which belonged to my wife. She didn't like it and went back to her Litespeed Bella so I have inherited it to use as a winter bike.
    I have discovered that the aluminium BB30 bottom bracket liner has come away from the carbon frame, so the cranks move about 3mm under load. This allows the chain to touch the cage of the front mech in all but the middle 5 gears of the cassette.
    Does anyone know of a good epoxy glue that I could pour into the frame to stabilise the liner. I can't think of what else to do, as I don't want to scrap the frame.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by ned_wills View Post
    Hi Folks
    I've got a 2012 Merida Scultura, which belonged to my wife. She didn't like it and went back to her Litespeed Bella so I have inherited it to use as a winter bike.
    I have discovered that the aluminium BB30 bottom bracket liner has come away from the carbon frame, so the cranks move about 3mm under load. This allows the chain to touch the cage of the front mech in all but the middle 5 gears of the cassette.
    Does anyone know of a good epoxy glue that I could pour into the frame to stabilise the liner. I can't think of what else to do, as I don't want to scrap the frame.
    There's your answer.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    how about try a viscous filler-type epoxy. I'm thinking JB Weldit would work great here. After all, there is no crack to repair, and all you really need is a way to permanently epoxy the aluminum sleeve into the carbon frame, right. And I don't think the epoxy will crack under crank pressure either, this stuff once harden is tough and strong!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    how about try a viscous filler-type epoxy. I'm thinking JB Weldit would work great here. After all, there is no crack to repair, and all you really need is a way to permanently epoxy the aluminum sleeve into the carbon frame, right. And I don't think the epoxy will crack under crank pressure either, this stuff once harden is tough and strong!
    Problems might crop up in the form of misalignments and fudged Q factors. I'd at least check out estimates from frame repair before commiting to a FUBAR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Problems might crop up in the form of misalignments and fudged Q factors. I'd at least check out estimates from frame repair before commiting to a FUBAR.
    Yup. Making sure the BB is square to the frame will be a challenge given the description of 3 mm of movement. That really sounds like a major crack in the BB that is opening up under load. If the movement is only left/right then the problem is a little easier but still: how do you insure that you get everything lined up properly and keep it there while the JB Weld (or whatever) cures.