Motobecane Fantom Cross CX or Dawes Lightning Cross?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009

Motobecane Fantom Cross CX or Dawes Lightning Cross?

I'm new to biking other than riding recreationally as a young kid. I just got done with college and have a job about 4.5 miles from home that I'd like to commute to by bike. I was looking at the different types of bikes and have determined that a cyclocross bike would suit my needs best as I will be riding roads to work and also riding some gravel trails on weekends. I don't really want to spend $1000 on a bike since I'm brand new to riding so I saw two bikes on bikes direct that I thought would be alright, the Motobecane Fantom Cross CX and the Dawes Lighting Cross. The Motobecane is about $100 more but both of these bikes are in a price range that I'd be happy paying. Which of these two would be a better bike? I would also consider bumping up to the Fantom Cross or the Windsor Cyclo if the benefits of spending the extra money would be worth it. Any thoughts? Also, if I bought slick tires could these be converted into a decent all pavement bike and maybe switch back and forth with the tires for riding gravel? Like I said I am brand new to this and any input would be really helpful!

Oldie
    Jan 2006
    I was looking for a low cost way to try a "road" bike and being a mountian biker for 25 years I wanted something to ride dirt roads also. I just bought the Dawes Lighting Cross and it should be delivered Thursday. I'm planning on a touring/comuter style set up maybe some fenders,rear rack, and touring tires. I'll post what I think after I've got a few rides in.
    "You don't need a lighter bike....you need bigger muscles"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I'm now looking at these 2 bikes. (Motobecane Fantom Cross CX or Dawes Lightning Cross) Any updates or comparisons? Weight? Handling?

Thanks in advance.

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brayne
    I'm now looking at these 2 bikes. (Motobecane Fantom Cross CX or Dawes Lightning Cross) Any updates or comparisons? Weight? Handling?

Thanks in advance.

can't go wrong w/ either. best bikes on the planet...

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply FTF!

I'm mid 40's, Just starting, currently doing 12+ miles every morning to beat high B.P. I'm riding "the station wagon" of bikes, a trek knockoff, comfort bike. (37lbs.) I live in a hilly area and looking for something made for a daily ride w/occasional 20-30 mile rides.... So either of these seem to be a nice upgrade from my present situation... So am I now reduced to selecting a bike based on color? LOL