My new Canyon Aeroad
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011

My new Canyon Aeroad

I just received my Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Di2 8.0 a month early.

I love the integrated stem/bar, aero design, and all black.

The wheels are Reynolds Strike SLGs (62mm).

Pretty happy with it except both the Continental GP 4000s were defective - one suddenly popped (after a ride, thankfully).
    The Bike Race Database:
    www.meet4rides.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Looks nice. Glad you like it. How's it ride?

So, in the case of that stem and bar, does "integrated" mean "can't use another stem and bar"?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Looks nice. Glad you like it. How's it ride?

So, in the case of that stem and bar, does "integrated" mean "can't use another stem and bar"?
    So far it rides ok but i have yet to really experience it in great detail. It's my first time on wheels this deep and I had no idea how much I'd feel the wind catch them!

Yes, that's pretty much what integrated means - more specifically, it means you can use another stem and bar but you have to replace both.

But since Canyon allows you to specify the dimensions of the integrated stem and bar, it pretty much fits me. I had a bike fit in advance, so from that I could safely request the right size.

I may be removing that and replacing it with a set of aero bars and re-fit the bike for a tri setup as I have a few triathlons coming up.
    The Bike Race Database:
    www.meet4rides.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    We're bar drop and reach also options on the integrated bar or was it just stem length and bar width? Wanted know just how far they go. Looks great BTW.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FeltF75rider View Post
    We're bar drop and reach also options on the integrated bar or was it just stem length and bar width? Wanted know just how far they go. Looks great BTW.
    reach 70 and drop 128 are constant. Only thing that changes is stem length and width of bars. (for h11 aerocockpit)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I only specified width and drop, as per my fitter's advice, though I think that's all you can configure. Yes, it's H11.

spdntrxi seems to know better than I do...
    The Bike Race Database:
    www.meet4rides.com

Cpark
    That is one sharp/fast looking bike!!!
    You will be expected to pull longer and more often during the group ride, so good luck trying to sit in the pack....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cpark View Post
    That is one sharp/fast looking bike!!!
    You will be expected to pull longer and more often during the group ride, so good luck trying to sit in the pack....
    You're right cpark - but it's ok because (I thought I'd never say this) I really am faster on this bike. It's considerably lighter and more aero but I didn't expect the difference to be really noticeable like it is.
    The Bike Race Database:
    www.meet4rides.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Very nice rig, and though it's not currently set up that way, I see that the Reynolds wheels take tubeless tires. Would you be interested in trying that, although popping one of those things is always more fuss and bother than a GP 4000.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aa.mclaren View Post
    Very nice rig, and though it's not currently set up that way, I see that the Reynolds wheels take tubeless tires. Would you be interested in trying that, although popping one of those things is always more fuss and bother than a GP 4000.
    Good eye, and you're right. I was thinking of it but for road biking I just don't see the advantages. With MTB at least you can run lower PSI and not worry about pinch flats. But I found I still had to carry a tube in case I did flat or it burped enough air out.

I wonder what the advantage is with road? Any thoughts?
    The Bike Race Database:
    www.meet4rides.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Patterson View Post
    Good eye, and you're right. I was thinking of it but for road biking I just don't see the advantages. With MTB at least you can run lower PSI and not worry about pinch flats. But I found I still had to carry a tube in case I did flat or it burped enough air out.

I wonder what the advantage is with road? Any thoughts?
    If you're using the tires size and PSI you want and don't have to worry about pinch flats, I wouldn't bother.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Put tubeless on it, they work better all around. I switched to them 3 years ago and have not had a flat in 9000 miles of riding. I am able to run 25 MM tires and run them at 80 PSI and month them on wide 25MM X 40MM Carbon rims and it makes for a very fast but soft ride. Just pout 2 OZ of sealant in each tire and you are good to go.

I run Schwalbe Ones on a non tubeless specific rim with Stans tape and it makes for a great combination.

I will never go back to tubed road tires.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006

Nice choice

Pretty happy with it except both the Continental GP 4000s were defective - one suddenly popped (after a ride, thankfully).
    I rented one at the Rapha shop in SF - fantastic ride. I am envious of you - that's a nice selection you will ride well for many to come - congrats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2016

I got the same bike two months ago. Rode about 500 miles. I've had around 6 or 7 punctures on the backwheel + 2 blowouts with ruined tires. Is there something wrong with those wheels?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel muller View Post
    I got the same bike two months ago. Rode about 500 miles. I've had around 6 or 7 punctures on the backwheel + 2 blowouts with ruined tires. Is there something wrong with those wheels?
    interesting! check the carbon rim to make sure there are no sharp edges. Sometimes that will happen with carbon. If there are, then lightly smooth out the rim hook with fine sand paper.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks for the tip!