My new Jamis Xenith SL**********
    RoadBikeReview Member

My new Jamis Xenith SL**********

Got my new ride finally. I posted it in the Jamis forum, but I am not sure how many people go there. Anyway here are the specs and a few pictures. Hope you enjoy!

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0461.JPG

IMG_0465.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

Frame: 2008 Jamis Xenith SL ulta-high modulus carbon 54cm
    Forks: Jamis Xenith SL carbon dropouts
    Headset: Cane Creek
    Handlebars: Easton EC90 SLX carbon 44cm
    Stem: Easton EA90 120mm
    Seatpost: Easton EC90 carbon
    Seat: Selle Italia SLR Carbonio Flow
    Shifters: Sram Red
    Cables: Gore RideOn
    Cranks: FSA K Force Light hollow carbon w/MegaExo Ceramic BB
    Front Derailleur: Sram Red
    Rear derailleur: Sram Red
    Casette: Sram Red 10 speed
    Chain: KMC X10SL w/ ti-nitride coating
    Brakes: Sram Red
    Wheels: Zipp 404 clinchers
    Tires: Michelin Pro Race 3's
    Tubes: Michelin
    Skewers: Zipp
    Computer: Cateye Wireless/ Garmin Edge 305
    Cages: Arundel Dave-O matte carbon
    Pedals: Look KEO Carbon Cromo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Go James, er I mean Jamis!!!

You're right, I'd never have looked in the Jamis forum...Nice looking bike. Bet it's a blast.

No team-cest unless 8+!
    I thought that thing in the ad, and I must say, it looks MUCH COOLER when it's "real".

I also thought it came with tubulars.

I gotta ask... whats it weigh?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks. It did come with tubulars, but I swapped them out for the much heavier clinchers because I am using them as everyday wheels. I will probably build up a really light pair of climbing wheels when I get a chance. Total weight with everything on it, came to 14.5lbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

VERY nice..

wow, that thing looks smoking!!
    Get this thing off my head!!!!!
    www.augustacrosscoalition.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    That bike looks bad ass.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Wow, very nice.

Do you have enough miles on it for a ride report yet?

NewRider
    May 2008
    beautiful bike, Mario, congrats!!

Why do you have a cateye in addition to the 305?

On the wrong floor again
    My last ride was a Jamis, but it didn't fit well. IMO Jamis is very underrated. Sweet ride!!!

Tim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    sweet

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Wahh ...nice looking bike with super light weight, super sweet:drool ...saw one in our LBS...want one cant afford it yet! good choice and Jamis is super underrated!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for my new wallpaper. Nicest bike I have ever seen, seriously.
    All I said was that our son, the apple of our three eyes, Martha being a cyclops, our son is a beanbag, and you get testy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for all the very nice comments. Still only have about 250 miles on it (travel/work), so I still need some time for a ride report. Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    why are you using the KMC chain and not the SRAM 1090R?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The gold chain does look a little out of place--I would've gone for a Wipperman, SRAM or even Campy. I also would've gone with a SRAM Red crank...it looks nice in person. In any case, the bike is awesome.

Polka Power
    Because short of switching that bike to 404 clinchers/michelin tires from the stock 404 tubies/ vittoria tires, adding the computer/bottle cages, pedals, and switching the saddle....its 100% stock as it comes complete from Jamis.

I'm pretty sure the chain is on there for being a bit lighter, as are the cranks. The chain is cool looking in person. Plus, in theory, the gold Ti Nitride coating might make it last a bit longer.

Jamis does pretty smart builds for the complete bikes, IMO. It's a killer deal too for how it is spec'd.

Jun 2008

I have on too!

Got one a month ago. Very stiff bike! And I am a Cat 2 roadie in NM, so I say that in a GOOD way!

This is not a tour bike though! If your not hammering, this bike is gonna make your butt hurt after a few hours of spinning easy in the saddle. A more comfy saddle may help though. The ASPide saddle is a lightweight race saddle , for sure!
    Tracks very well, not too twitchy, but if your nervous, the bike will be nervous too! I've screamed down some mountain passes, and it flies!
    I have the 61cm, and race ready its 14.5 lbs!! Wow!

Get spec for the money!

Keifer
    Colavita NM Elite Team

RoadBikeReview Member
    does your sram red cassete come off your back wheel mine is like bonded on lol the zipp

Jun 2008

SRAM Red Cassette Issues

The SL came with a 11-23 Red cassette. It will not slide down onto a 2006 Reynolds Stratus clincher, or my 2005 Easton (Velomax) Orion clincher. It does slide onto the Zipp 404 that came with the bike, but you have to push a little to get the last cm or so.
    I called Reynolds first, and they said it should fit, and to call SRAM. I called SRAM and they stated that they hadn't heard of this problem. They said make sure the slines on the freehub are not gouged and jagged. My wheels are not like this. I have been using Rival group witht the Powergilde cassettes for two seasons with no problems.
    The 11-23 is too tall for most of my racing and riding here in the Rockies, so I haven't used it yet. I have been using my Rival 11-26 cassettes, but that sacrifices about 100 grams of weight. I have a flat race coming up that will use the Zipp/11-23 Red combination. We'll see if the Red cassette tries gets stuck on the hub.
    I also have another friend that said his Red Cassette didn't fit on his older wheel. I'm not sure what he did about it though.
    Keifer

Jun 2008

Smile Jamis Comfort Update-Keifer's

I just replaced the San Marco ASPide saddle with my trusty Selle Italia Flite Gel saddle (classic shape, 1 year old) and the comfort level has gone way up! My butt just doesn't like ultralight saddles on the road. I've tried Selle It. SLRs too.
    Actual weight of the ASPide is 180g, not 135g by the way. By Flite Gel is 280g actual, so I added 100g, but LOADS of rideability! There's some pretty good flex happening at the head of the seatpost (EC90 with 2.5 cm setback), so that is helping too.
    I have a 220g New style white Flite Gel on order, to keep with the white saddle scheme.
    My old Flite is blue. It doesn't look right.
    Aren't saddle getting EXPENSIVE these days? I remember pricey ones being $70 not $200+! Falling US Dollar Value maybe???
    FYI
    Keith

RoadBikeReview Member
    You should seriously check out the Bontrager Inform saddle. Supposedly to most heavily engineered saddle, ever. Judging by how many Astana riders haven't pulled it in favor of their old favorites, I'm not the only one who really likes it.

... And it's light and only expensive by old standards. 215g & $99
    http://www.bontrager.com/model/07134/en

I really like this saddle... and it comes in white.