My new Lysnskey R300
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

My new Lysnskey R300

Hello all,

Been waiting since February to receive my Lynskey R300. Have spent the better part of a year reviewing post and bike reviews about this company and decided to pull the trigger despite being happy with my current carbon fiber bike, a Look 765. Always wanted a titanium bike.

I chose Lynskey due to all of reviews, but also because I could get a semi-custom bike for 1/2 the price of the more esoteric builders. I looked at the others such as Seven, Moots, Independent Fabrication, Firefly, etc after following many of your recommendations.

I ordered this bike directly from Lynskey during one of their many X% off sales. Mine was 30%. Spoke directly with one of their representative via chat or email. Fortunately their frame dimensions worked perfectly for me so no full customization was required. My body has pretty ordinary dimensions!

So, here is my "semi-custom" order:
    1. R300 disc
    2. Brushed finish
    3. Bronze anodized label etching versus black decals
    4. Bronze anodized headtube shield
    5. Vision 30 wheels (which I upgraded with my previously purchased Mavic Kysrium Pro Carbon wheels with Yksion Pro 28 mm tubeless tires)
    6. Internal cable routing on the downtube. This was a customization as the internal cable routing is only available on the gravel GR300 bike
    7. SRAM Force 1x with 42 chainring and 11-42 rear cassette. This was a customization as this drivetrain is only available on the gravel GR300 bike
    8. Gravel flared handlebars

Despite the 30% off, they included a titanium setback seatpost (this I knew about beforehand) and upon opening up the box, I found they had upgraded to the ENVE front fork (this I had no idea would be happening)

The bike was shipped by UPS and arrived in three days from notification. The thick and sturdy box was largely intact with only a few dented corners and some minor punctures. Upon opening the box, the frame, wheels, seatpost and seat arrived well protected with foam pipe tubing covering the frame and foam wrap on everything else. Massive amounts of bubble wrap filled every available space. Kudos to the shipping department

Assembly was minimal. Attach handlebars. Replace Vision 30 wheels with my Mavics using the 11-42 cluster that came with the bike. Attach seatpost and seat. I replaced the seat with my Selle SMP Drakon which I have had for years and is well formed to my derrier. I did remove the chain and clean and dunk into molten paraffin wax. I just like to have non-greasy chains. Checked the torque on all the bolts. The ones Lynskey did were spot on. Checked the brakes. Even with changing the wheels, the discs were spot on as well with no rub. Shifter was adjusted perfectly as well!

Bike weight with wheels, pedals (Speedplay stainless steel spindles) seat, etc is 18#. No featherweight but not a slug either. This frame is a medium. I have not had a chance to ride it yet due to weather but will update soon.

Some pics. Sorry for the phone quality.

Last edited by 1Lieutenant; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:08 PM.
    Steve
    Lynskey R300 disc SRAM 1x
    Lynskey titaniium seatpost
    Speedplay ultralight action pedals
    SMP Drakon saddle
    Redshift shock absorption stem
    Mavic Pro Carbon wheels
    Man I love this bike....

Look 566 Rival (Still here but on my trainer)
    Look 765 up for sale (still a great bike!)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Lynskey R300 in its natural habitat

Went for my first ride with the bike. My ride was only 20 miles but was on the same route I have ridden for several years. Since I am using the same wheels, drivetrain, tires and similar handlebars (flat top flared) and saddle, differences should be due to the frame.

First: Despite similar geometries with my Look 765, the Lynskey R300 is not as upright. A little more towards performance rather than endurance, if that makes any sense. Despite being 67, I felt the position to be comfortable.

The bike itself rides smoothly with no evidence of twitchiness. Very stable with high speed downhills. Of course, my high speed may not be yours.... Acceleration and hill climbing were on par with the Look. What was most notable was the smoothness of the ride. The carbon fiber Look, with flax layers for vibration absorption works great, but the titanium frame is an order of magnitude improvement. Background vibrations that would normally be noted on the Look were completely absent with the Lynskey. Basically felt like I was riding on perfectly smooth asphalt. More severe shocks (like uneven pavement, potholes, etc) were much less jarring.

20 miles is not enough to formulate a definitive conclusion, but things are looking positive. One downside. the Lynskey is 1/2 pound heavier than the Look. Never seemed noticeable even on some seriously steep hills.
    Steve
    SMP Drakon saddle
    Mavic Pro Carbon wheels
    Man I love this bike....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Really nice bike, and should last you a lifetime.

Congrats!

xxl
    That's a real fine bike.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. Im fd.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    That's a real fine bike.
    Thanks!
    Steve
    SMP Drakon saddle
    Mavic Pro Carbon wheels
    Man I love this bike....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Welcome to the world of Ti! The bronze accent looks sharp. I recently took delivery of a PRO-GR frameset, but just decided to go with Shimano GRX 2x groupset. Careful, this is my 3rd Lynskey and my 7th Ti bike. Like Doritos, you can't have just one...

Just curious why you went with the R300 instead of the GR300?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    Welcome to the world of Ti! The bronze accent looks sharp. I recently took delivery of a PRO-GR frameset, but just decided to go with Shimano GRX 2x groupset. Careful, this is my 3rd Lynskey and my 7th Ti bike. Like Doritos, you can't have just one...

Just curious why you went with the R300 instead of the GR300?
    I do 99% of my riding on road. Despite that, I like the 1x SRAM as shifting is brainless and the range from low to high exceeds my previous 2x drivetrain. I am fortunate that the inevitable larger jumps from one gear to another do not seem to bother me. I also did not want the additional braze ons found on the gravel model.
    Steve
    SMP Drakon saddle
    Mavic Pro Carbon wheels
    Man I love this bike....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Lieutenant View Post
    I do 99% of my riding on road. Despite that, I like the 1x SRAM as shifting is brainless and the range from low to high exceeds my previous 2x drivetrain. I am fortunate that the inevitable larger jumps from one gear to another do not seem to bother me. I also did not want the additional braze ons found on the gravel model.
    Dude, that is a great looking bike! Congrats man!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.