My New (to me) 2012 Kuota KOM Evo w/ DA7900!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

My New (to me) 2012 Kuota KOM Evo w/ DA7900!

After looking for literally the past 18 months at carbon framesets to upgrade my existing road bike, I finally pulled the trigger and am now looking at a complete new build-

I introduce my 2012 Kuota KOM Evo!!

More photos here: 2012 Kuota Kom Evo Carbon Road Bike Frameset | eBay

The bike was purchased on eBay slightly used from a European team. The same seller had a lot of other frames/components listed, including a full Dura Ace 7900 group.

More photos: Shimano Dura-Ace 10 speed Group set | eBay

I was able to work with him on price, and he ended both auctions early and sold the items to my outright for what I believe to be a fair price ($2,500 for ALL, including wheelset and shipping to USA).

He said I should have everything within 2 weeks, and is even going to throw in a DA7900 chain and shift cables as a bonus. I will be building up as soon as I receive it, and adding my existing FSA Carbon K-Wing bars, DA7800 pedals, and Specialized Toupe Team seat.

I am very excited about this new project! I'd love to hear others thoughts on the bike or price I paid?

Will keep you all posted on progress as I receive the bike and start to build!

9/11/12: Frameset and components showed up today and so of course I was excited and slapped her together real quick for a photo shoot:

9/17/12
    Finally got the bike built on Saturday, but only took some crappy pics on my phone:

Before wrecking the bike on it's very 1st ride:

The frame is currently at "The Frame Doctor" being repaired....

Update 9/27/12:
    Well, it's been a long road getting here, but I'm proud to say the bike is fully built up again and ready for the MS150 this weekend!

I wanted to make sure I snagged a few decent pictures before the weekend:

Overall I think she's beautiful, and rides great. I still feel a little stretched, so I'm going to swap out the K-Wing bars for the compact version. I am also going to get an FSA stem with no rise, but the Bontrager fits the best of the stems I have.

Next upgrade will be 7900 C50 wheelset instead of C24's, as much because I think they look awesome as for their aero benefits. Any other comments, tips, or suggestions welcome!

2/22/13:
    I scored a great deal on a Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 wheelset, so I replaced the DA C24's.

I still haven't had an opportunity to get any good photos of the current setup, but here is how she currently sits:
    Last edited by toddious; 02-22-2013 at 09:04 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    That is sweet! Make sure and post pics along the way. Nothing is more satisfying then building a bike yourself. Congratulations.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    That's a great deal.

irony intended
    This is one case where I could live with this amount of logos...sweet looking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for the compliments!

I thought the price seemed pretty fair. Essentially I got the frameset for $1,300 , the carbon 1380g wheelset for $650 , and the full DA 7900 group for $650 ... which all seemed like pretty good prices to me (especially considering it included shipping from overseas). My only wish was that it had internal cable routing, but beggars can't be choosers.

I am excited about having the opportunity to fully outfit/build the bike myself. I'm considering white bar tape and red cables. I'm also thinking I need to change out the seat clamp, and was thinking a red clamp would be cool. Thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The seat clamp looks alright imo. The red inclusion wouldn't disagree with anything but it would make the bike resemble the more typical white/black/red color schemes found on many bikes.

I myself would go white everything with Fizik's black glossy tape, but red is no way a wrong idea. Would still look cool.

And congrats on the deal. Maybe at worst the brake pads have some wear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Killer man.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks! More photos posted in a link of my original post!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    That KOM looks AWESOME! Have always loved the Kuotas... enjoy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    The KOM is a bomb. Great project ahead of you and should be a superb ride!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I'm definitely leaning towards using red cable guides (any recommendations here??), and am also considering red wall tires. I really want to bring out the red accents from EVO that are already in the design (not to mention my shoes are white/red).

I am also thinking I'll use the Kuota "Team" white bar tape, and a white bar stem. Mocking it up, it would look something like this:

I really wish I could get white spokes like the wheels in the picture. I think that looks awesome. However, the 7850-C24 spokes are factory only and don't come in white.

Thoughts anyone?

irony intended
    Don't eff it up with the effing red, please...my preference would be black, but if you can find a white seatpost and stem, then you would also have my conditional approval....YMMV

Moose > Clydesdale
    Aug 2012
    Great price for some great components! Can't wait to see the build up.

As far as the red goes, I'm kinda partial to red. I would however, caution against too much red. You don't want that accent to become a distraction.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    If you like the red, who cares what anyone else thinks? It'll still be a great bike.

I say look at what you want to do, ask yourself are you sure?, then if yes...do it.

You are not insane to ask yourself, then answer...I promise. :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by carlislegeorge View Post
    Don't eff it up with the effing red, please...my preference would be black, but if you can find a white seatpost and stem, then you would also have my conditional approval....YMMV
    Haha- I'm not trying to "eff" it up, but there is some red in the original paint scheme, so I'm trying to bring it out because I like red. Keep in mind that photo was a crappy photoshop job done in Microsoft Paint, so the red colors are pretty exaggerated. In reality, it would look more like this one:

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMoose View Post
    Great price for some great components! Can't wait to see the build up.

As far as the red goes, I'm kinda partial to red. I would however, caution against too much red. You don't want that accent to become a distraction.
    Thanks. It's definitely a beast of a bike. I do have a little buyers remorse though, wondering if I should have gotten something that was more aero- and aero wheels. I live in Florida, so I definitely won't be reaping the benefits of the "King Of Mountain" in terms of lightness, since most of my riding is straight and flat.

I'm also partial to red- but I didn't want a red bike (if that makes any sense). Definitely not trying to overdo it either- just a little here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Defy View Post
    If you like the red, who cares what anyone else thinks? It'll still be a great bike.

I say look at what you want to do, ask yourself are you sure?, then if yes...do it.

You are not insane to ask yourself, then answer...I promise. :-)
    Haha, I like your attitude- and ultimately it's gonna look the way I want it to. I do like hearing others input and feedback, because it gives me ideas I may not have considered. I love the absolute freedom in building a bike myself, there's just a lot to consider!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by toddious View Post
    Haha- I'm not trying to "eff" it up, but there is some red in the original paint scheme, so I'm trying to bring it out because I like red. Keep in mind that photo was a crappy photoshop job done in Microsoft Paint, so the red colors are pretty exaggerated. In reality, it would look more like this one:

That looks much better than the original mockup! I like that a lot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by seemana View Post
    That looks much better than the original mockup! I like that a lot.
    I agree. I'm leaning towards the Continental 4000's, which only have the single red stripe down the center (not on the side walls). Should be very similar the picture.

I just wish I was putting those Cosmic Cabon wheels on instead of the C24's! I love the deeper aero wheel look, even though they would add another 1lb to the weight of the wheels (1750g vs 1380g.)

I didn't intend to build a "weight weenie" bike, but since I'm already on that path.....

Moose > Clydesdale
    Aug 2012

Thanks. It's definitely a beast of a bike. I do have a little buyers remorse though, wondering if I should have gotten something that was more aero- and aero wheels. I live in Florida, so I definitely won't be reaping the benefits of the "King Of Mountain" in terms of lightness, since most of my riding is straight and flat.
    You did have that chance you know.

The Blue SL was calling you.

I'm also partial to red- but I didn't want a red bike (if that makes any sense). Definitely not trying to overdo it either- just a little here and there.
    Just keep in mind that colored tires will get dirty. My white Zaffiro's sure did!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    You did have that chance you know.

The Blue SL was calling you.

Just keep in mind that colored tires will get dirty. My white Zaffiro's sure did!
    Haha. You're right about that. I was on the fence for quite a while about buying one of the Blue AC1 SL. Not sure what it was about that frameset, but I just couldn't convince myself that I loved the way it looked. There's no doubt that I LOVE the look of the Kuota, just not sure I get all the functional benefits under my riding conditions. I may upgrade to an Aero wheelset before too long. I can live with a non-aero (but 600g lighter) frame though.

And I agree regarding the tires (especially if they were WHITE). Just one of the drawbacks to riding piece of art!

Moose > Clydesdale
    Aug 2012
    Not sure what it was about that frameset, but I just couldn't convince myself that I loved the way it looked.
    Aww c'mon, what's not to love? This thing is a piece of sex!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Aww c'mon, what's not to love? This thing is a piece of sex!

In the purple?!

You're right, and I certainly didn't mean to put you or the Blue AC1 down. It is without a doubt a sweet looking ride. I just couldn't convince myself to buy it. Then again, I bought the KOM and I'm still not convinced I made the right decision... But I'm "stuck" with it now.

Also- I didn't notice your white tires until now. Which are those? I'm considering the same idea but in Red.

However, I'm confident I got it for a reasonable price, and that I will ultimately be happy with it.

Moose > Clydesdale
    Aug 2012
    In the purple?!

You're right, and I certainly didn't mean to put you or the Blue AC1 down. It is without a doubt a sweet looking ride. I just couldn't convince myself to buy it. Then again, I bought the KOM and I'm still not convinced I made the right decision... But I'm "stuck" with it now.

Also- I didn't notice your white tires until now. Which are those? I'm considering the same idea but in Red.

However, I'm confident I got it for a reasonable price, and that I will ultimately be happy with it.
    The guy in purple is my wrenching buddy and fellow rider. ;)

I wasn't taking offense. Just poking at you. I like your bike just the same.

The tires are Vittoria Zaffiro's. TBH, they are very sticky tires, but have worn very fast. Being a Clydesdale, I really need something more heavy duty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    The guy in purple is my wrenching buddy and fellow rider. ;)

I wasn't taking offense. Just poking at you. I like your bike just the same.

The tires are Vittoria Zaffiro's. TBH, they are very sticky tires, but have worn very fast. Being a Clydesdale, I really need something more heavy duty.
    Haha, just messin about the guy in Purple. Assumed it was you actually, but it's always nice to have a "wrenching buddy"!

I appreciate your feedback on the Vittoria's. They were one of the tires that I was looking at. These would be my All Purpose (but only good Florida weather) tires, so I want something that has good performance, but decent durability as well (and comes in red)....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I just received the EMS tracking number, so this baby is officially on it's way! I'm hoping I may see it by the end of next week!

I'm trying to prepare a list of outstanding components, so please chime in if you can help!

1. Tires: Looking for a clincher with a small red stripe. So far I'm considering the Kenda Kaliente , Schwalbe Ultremo , and a few others.
    2. Bar Tape: White tape. Any recommendations here? Was considering the actual Kuota Team tape.
    3. Shifter Cables: Want red cables. Seller is including cables, but I'm assuming they're black or white. I'm thinking of ordering some red Jagwire Racer cables. Do I need to order inline barrels? Or stops or something? Never cabled a bike so I'm not sure what to order.
    4. Pedals- Using the Dura Ace pedals from my old build
    5. Chain- DA7900 Included with purchase
    6. Bolts- I'm wondering about bolts to mount the derailleurs, brakes, shifters, etc. Should these come with the Group? Or is there a "Kit" I can order that would be for a complete build? I would love to do an all Ti build (since I'm leaning towards a super-light build).
    7. Seat- Specialized Toupe Team from previous build
    8. Bars- FSA Carbon K-Wing from previous build
    9. Stem- Ritchey WCS from previous build. May swap for a white eventually.

What am I missing?

Moose > Clydesdale
    Aug 2012
    Did I see brakes?

Also, I got this kit for my cables: Tree Fort Bikes - Online Bicycle Parts and Accessories, Bicycle Tools and Maintenance

Came with everything I needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast