Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncmaster View Post

But we all know Ultegra should be top notch. What makes this bike unique is the frame. For $150 I'm absolutely thrilled with how it performs. The complete bike with the frame is super light-weight which I realized again and again when I went to accelerate. It takes off like a rocket and feels very very nimble under power. Didn't feel any flexing when pushing it hard. Not skatey or unstable either. When going down hill It held it's line well and I felt very confident in the bike at speed. The frame size I got I feel is spot on. I think the 52cm would have been too big for me and I'm very glad I ended up getting the 50cm. Nashbar's frame sizing is weird. Their 50cm frame has a ST length of 54.5cm. I went what was closest to my current frame size and I'm glad I did.

The carbon fork, seat post, seat stays and chainstays definitely help to dampen the bumps in the road and it was quite comfortable once I figured out my saddle position.

Overall I'm blown away by the bike and so stoked on riding it. I'm going out again before work tomorrow morning before the park's open to cars :-)

Highly recommend the frame! At $150 it's a total bargain. And not to worry, at the same time, I was still able to give my LBS business in this whole process ;-)

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'll keep updating this thread with more pics soon.

Glad I found this post! I have the 54cm frame, same as you, and am eagerly awaiting arrival of my Vuelta wheels from Nashbar (got quite a deal, considering weight/price point!) and SRAM Force components. I am SO pumped and can't wait to get on the bike!

Any more comments on how the frame rides??

Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mlewis73 View Post
    Glad I found this post! I have the 54cm frame, same as you, and am eagerly awaiting arrival of my Vuelta wheels from Nashbar (got quite a deal, considering weight/price point!) and SRAM Force components. I am SO pumped and can't wait to get on the bike!

Any more comments on how the frame rides??

Mike
    Which wheelset did you end up getting? I just looked at the Vuelta Corsa Lite set and they seem like a great deal. $279 and 1578g. They're lighter than the Aksiums I have.

Should be a sweet build with the SRAM Force group! I'm sure it'll be very light and quick.

I've been having a blast on mine and the only regret I have is not having enough time to ride it! Especially with this lousy hurricane happening now... Sucks to see it just hanging on the wall!

I did a few laps around central park with my brother the other day averaging around 18-19mph and topping out around 32mph down hill on some very small hills and the bike feels very nice. I'll be taking it on some longer rides when the weather clears up.

Hope you enjoy your build! Post pics and stats once it's done! Would love to see how our bikes compare.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Syncmaster,

Got the Vuelta Corsa Lites for $279 off Nashbar. I could not justify another $170 for less than a fifth of a pound of rolling weight between the two wheels. At my level, such a purchase would be ostentatious, as 0.17 pound is NOT going to put me on the podium.

When finances are more free and if I ever begin bicycle racing again, I may consider something lighter... but that is awhile down the road. I'm a runner, not a competitive cyclist.

At any rate... I'll snap some pics when the bike is assembled. Should be a week or so, unless I hit a snag or some key part doesn't arrive in a timely manner.

Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    What fork are you all putting on it?
    "Those who like it, like it A LOT!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    I went with Nashbar's full carbon fork... solely due to value. We'll see how it rides...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I used the full carbon fork that came off the Motobecane Imortal Force. Very light!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    So I finally took some pics of the Motobecane carbon frame that I got all these parts from. Cracks and chips around the top of the Seat Tube. And some scratches along the left chain stay. You think it can be repaired if someone wanted to repair it? I think I'll throw it up on ebay and see what I can get. I know there are some people who buy broken frames as wall art or to paint or whatever... I'll be sure to state it's broken and has no warranty, and that I'm not responsible for anything.....

Last edited by Syncmaster; 08-28-2011 at 03:40 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Enough duct tape can fix anything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    is this the same frame that comes with the "al-2" bike with 105 components from nashbar?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

i don't think so

i think this is a different frame. the al-2 didn't mention any carbon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Noticed Nashbar increased the price on these frames to $175 today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Great looking bike. I'm looking to get my first road bike after years of MTB'n. I thought I narrowed my search down to a Specialized Allez Apex but your Nashbar build has intrigued me.

This past spring I built a single speed on a Nashbar Nekkid frame. I love it and I can't tell you how many compliments I've gotten. Your project makes me want to build another instead of going the manufacturer route. That frame would look great with a SRAM Apex White gruppo.

Post more pics when you get the chance.
    Last edited by OTlevel7; 09-04-2011 at 06:01 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Question to Lewis and Sync:

How is the finish on the Nashbar frame? The Nashbar Nekkid single I built has a very thin finish. Reviews recommended a powder coat but the color was too beautiful to cover up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OTlevel7 View Post

How is the finish on the Nashbar frame? The Nashbar Nekkid single I built has a very thin finish. Reviews recommended a powder coat but the color was too beautiful to cover up.
    I have no complaints. Hit it with heavy cut cleaner, 2 coats automotive wax, and finished with a shot of lemon Pledge. She is smooth as a baby's bum and looks just plain glossy!

Paint quality on both my frames is good. White with a little pearlescent look.

Only did this to painted sections, not the carbon tubes.

Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Mike...another question and forgive me if I missed it in one of your other posts:

What fork is on your bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OTlevel7 View Post

Don't see any issues with the finish on my frame. Glossy and smooth!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Sweet bike. I love the value in this build, great work.

How do you like the Specialized Romin?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by monkfish View Post
    Sweet bike. I love the value in this build, great work.

How do you like the Specialized Romin?
    Thanks.

But if you're asking about the saddle, it's not a Specialized Romin, it's the Ritchey Comp saddle that came on the Motobecane which is surprisingly comfortable.

I'm looking at potentially getting a full carbon saddle though with a lighter carbon seat post eventually.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

Took the plunge, with full Rival group.

Ordered everything over the weekend taking advantage of several Labor Day sales.

Nashbar Alloy/Carbon frame, full compact Rival group, Richey Comp UD Carbon fork, Vuelta Corsa Lites, Nashbar's Carbon seat post, Richey 80mm Adjustable carbon stem, Continental 4000s 25mm, and I was so undecided on the handlebar that I have forgotten which one I ordered but it is alloy (and backordered for another week). I'll use my old bike's pedals and seat (Trek 7900) for now.

Ordered from Nashbar, Lickbikes and Performance.

I'll keep the progress posted if anyone is interested.

Jeff

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncmaster View Post
    Thanks.

But if you're asking about the saddle, it's not a Specialized Romin, it's the Ritchey Comp saddle that came on the Motobecane which is surprisingly comfortable.

I'm looking at potentially getting a full carbon saddle though with a lighter carbon seat post eventually.
    Whoops. XavierM's bike with the same frame has the romin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjmr View Post
    Ordered everything over the weekend taking advantage of several Labor Day sales.

Nashbar Alloy/Carbon frame, full compact Rival group, Richey Comp UD Carbon fork, Vuelta Corsa Lites, Nashbar's Carbon seat post, Richey 80mm Adjustable carbon stem, Continental 4000s 25mm, and I was so undecided on the handlebar that I have forgotten which one I ordered but it is alloy (and backordered for another week). I'll use my old bike's pedals and seat (Trek 7900) for now.

Ordered from Nashbar, Lickbikes and Performance.

I'll keep the progress posted if anyone is interested.

Jeff
    I am definitely interested, lets see some pics when you have it together. Thanks!
    "Those who like it, like it A LOT!"

Needs new heart and legs
    Jul 2011
    Sick!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    FYI: as of today (9/7/2011) the Nashbar frame in question is back to $150.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

Nashbar frame price

Not sure what was up with that $175 price. I went to order Sunday to take advantage of the 15% off everything sale and saw the $175 so I called and they told me no, it was still $150, or $127.50 with the 15% off. Couldn't pass that up!

Jeff

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjmr View Post
    Not sure what was up with that $175 price. I went to order Sunday to take advantage of the 15% off everything sale and saw the $175 so I called and they told me no, it was still $150, or $127.50 with the 15% off. Couldn't pass that up!

Jeff
    Dammit. Nice work. Wish I had picked it up then.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast