Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    so glad I found this thread. I was going to order a 54, since that is my size, but it turn out I need to order the size "50" to get the 54 cm c-t seattube I need...

BTW, Supernice bike. The way the Seat stays and chain stays look, it totally reminds me of frames found on Argon 18s, Norcos, etc...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrycan42 View Post
    so glad I found this thread. I was going to order a 54, since that is my size, but it turn out I need to order the size "50" to get the 54 cm c-t seattube I need...

BTW, Supernice bike. The way the Seat stays and chain stays look, it totally reminds me of frames found on Argon 18s, Norcos, etc...
    Glad to see another one buying this frame. I've been enjoying mine very much. But I've become addicted to searching for upgrades I can make....

to be fair, I didn't have total final decision over which parts I ultimately put on the bike because I sourced them from a damaged complete bike.

Tomorrow I have a new set of handlebars coming (the swapped bars from the donor bike were too wide), new tires (lighter, with some color too), new tubes (again, lighter) and some new bar tape (the donor bike's tape had some knicks).

Also have some lightweight Ti skewers from ebay coming.....

Might upgrade the saddle and seat post eventually. We shall see.

Will post more pics when I"ve swapped some things.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

Progress report

As others have posted, I am happy with the fit and finish on the frame. All rear and BB components mounted without complaint. The fork and seatpost are not here yet. Had to file some of the paint off the tight rear dropouts to mount the wheel. Otherwise all machine work is spot on. It also does not appear as though any cutting (truing) of the head tube will be required. The headset seated firmly but easily and measured square. Happy as well, so far with the Rival group.

One interesting observation: Seems the seat stays could be a bit longer. I have Vuelta Corsa Lites (I like them so far, nice fit and finish, perfect truing) with Continental 4000s 25mm. There is so little clearance between the tire perimeter and seat stay notch that the tire casting nubs rub the notch. There appear to be less than 2mm clearance. I know the nubs will rub off in a few miles, but it is tighter than I expected. And I'm sure I'd gain a few millimeters with 23mm tires. If I haven't described it properly I can post some pictures.

As far as fit is concerned, at first glance it appears 56cm is going to work for me as it had on the name brand bikes I test drove before settling on the Nashbar Integrated build. I know others have said they went a size or two smaller, but after temporarily jury-rigging a spare fork and mounting the front wheel, seems I lucked out and the normal size is going to be fine.

Pictures to follow when I get further along.

Cheers,
    Jeff

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I bought the same frame about a month ago. Wasn't looking to buy a frame but after looking at their return section it was there for $100.00, so I bought it. I'm in the process of collecting parts for it. It's my first road bike. Plan on getting it painted. Don't have a real time table to finish it, but after seeing yours I may have to set one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    wow, just finished my own build and stumbled upon these forums and this post!! pretty neat stuff... not quite as nice as the the OP, but i like it.

damn, they won't let me post pics because i've just joined and don't have 10 posts. my setup is very similar to the OP, just not quite as nice components, except for my wheels. oh well, maybe later.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjmr View Post
    One interesting observation: Seems the seat stays could be a bit longer. I have Vuelta Corsa Lites (I like them so far, nice fit and finish, perfect truing) with Continental 4000s 25mm. There is so little clearance between the tire perimeter and seat stay notch that the tire casting nubs rub the notch. There appear to be less than 2mm clearance. I know the nubs will rub off in a few miles, but it is tighter than I expected. And I'm sure I'd gain a few millimeters with 23mm tires. If I haven't described it properly I can post some pictures.
    have the exact same problem with my frame and 25mm Continental Gatorskin tires. not too big of a deal though it seems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Man, considering selling my very similar quality bike and mtn bike, doing this, and pocketing the profits for life. And I'll finally be able to run full campy. Sweeettttt.

banned
    Sep 2011

Link ?

Sync, I didn't see a link to your frame in your post or your referenced thread with build up. I didn't see anything remotely resembling your frame at the Nashbar.com site under frames either. Do you a link or a Nashbar frame/model/SKU number ? I didn't see any $149 frames in any incarnation. Thanks !! Nice build !!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MySpokeIsABroke View Post
    Sync, I didn't see a link to your frame in your post or your referenced thread with build up. I didn't see anything remotely resembling your frame at the Nashbar.com site under frames either. Do you a link or a Nashbar frame/model/SKU number ? I didn't see any $149 frames in any incarnation. Thanks !! Nice build !!
    Here's the link. It's list now as $175.00, Keep coming back to Nashbar they have sales all the time, or sign up for their emails. I bought mine during the Labor day sale.

Someone else will have to post the link - I'm too new here to right now. There usually is a return section where they take an extra 33% off, thats where I bought mine. Tho I haven't seen it the last couple times I visited their site.

banned
    Sep 2011
    Thanks, I saw that link and wasn't sure. Now, I am more confused about buy cheap bike online or buy cheap build from online ?>?<

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Very nice

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Indeed, Nashbar has raised the price of the frame to $175 :-(

As others have said, though. Check back for sales and you could still get a great deal on it.

It's here: Nashbar Integrated Alloy/Carbon Road Frame - Bike Frames

banned
    Sep 2011
    Pardon my ignorance of all things bike, but what is the purpose of the carbon inserts ?
    Benefit over the plain Jane Aluminum frame they offer ?? Thanks !!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Do you notice the bottle cages being misaligned as mentioned in the other thread?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MySpokeIsABroke View Post
    Pardon my ignorance of all things bike, but what is the purpose of the carbon inserts ?
    Benefit over the plain Jane Aluminum frame they offer ?? Thanks !!
    The main benefit is to dampen road vibration to the rear end, similarly to the way a carbon fork will soften road noise in the bars. You might see some slight weight benefits but I'm not certain on that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    So I am going to add my name to the list of folks building on this frame.

I made my first part purchase today: Easton EC70C carbon fork. I mention it because it's dirt cheap and has a carbon steerer...$92ish shipped via UPS ground from Price Point. It's on sale until 10/10 if they last that long.

Unfortunately, my build is going to take a bit longer than I had hoped due to an upcoming move and other expenses but once the ball starts rolling I will update accordingly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    I can't speak for this frame in particular, but one of my favorite bikes ever was a Look AL384 that shared similar construction (alum frame carbon seat/chain stays). It rode great and if this is anything like it (due to the construction) then this should ride nicely too.....
    Last edited by CSquare43; 10-03-2011 at 04:43 AM.

banned
    Sep 2011

? ? ?

Ya lost me. Carbon inserts. That to me means within. Within what I have no clue. Within the headset, the seat post, what ??? The above post mentions carbon chain stays, which with the seat stays in noobie speak are the rear frame section that supports the rear axle. As a supportive element, the chain isn't anything. Why call it a chain anything ? It's a rear frame supportive elment, it holds the axle and wheel, which bear maybe half the weight.

So, from the OP, the Nashbar frame, does it have carbon inserted into anything, or is it a carbon frame subsection ???

Thanks for lessening the confusion.

The Parts Of A Bicycle Nomenclature Bike Component Names What Things Are Called by Jim Langley

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Portions of the frame are made from carbon. There are no 'carbon inserts' on this frame. In my original reply I (incorrectly) assumed you were referring to the seat and chainstays. My apologies.

If you look at the image below...anything that is black is made from carbon. Everything else, including the rear dropouts, is aluminum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I've made some upgrades to the bike so far. Some lightweight Forte tubes from Performance, lighter tires, smaller bars, cork tape, and most recently my Ti skewers arrived from China. Amazing how much lighter they are.... I will have an official weigh in tomorrow for those interested.

On the wish list are lighter wheels, pedals, saddle and seatpost. Oh and most importantly. More time to ride....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Can't sleep. Thinking about going for a ride.

banned
    Sep 2011

A little off topic

A little off topic, but maybe some are thinking the same thing. How do they join the aluminum frame to the CF frame ? It aint gonna weld. Thinking mass production in the worker's paradise, I can't envision this. Also, wouldn't this create a weak spot or add weight over straight Al ??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Regarding joining the two materials... I'm leaving that to the engineers who designed the frame. I'll worry when we start to hear mass reports of folks' back ends falling off, but suspect that'll happen long after I've gone to a different frame.

If I recall, my 1988 Specialized Allez Epic had aluminum lugs joined to carbon tubes. This is not new science. That bike was perfect till I sold it to go to a smaller frame (bought it when I was still growing, then STOPPED growing...)

Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Epoxy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mlewis73 View Post
    Regarding joining the two materials... I'm leaving that to the engineers who designed the frame. I'll worry when we start to hear mass reports of folks' back ends falling off, but suspect that'll happen long after I've gone to a different frame.

If I recall, my 1988 Specialized Allez Epic had aluminum lugs joined to carbon tubes. This is not new science. That bike was perfect till I sold it to go to a smaller frame (bought it when I was still growing, then STOPPED growing...)

Mike
    Until very recently (the 2010 model year) the Trek 2.1 frame featured a carbon stay assembly...a line priced near the current Allez Apex Comp. For the 2011 model year Trek ditched the carbon stays but upgraded the components to a full 105 setup. Point being: this type of frame is nothing new and I trust that if it were an unsafe concept there would be lengthy reviews and warnings.

edit: It should be noted that Trek replaced the carbon in favor of a full aluminum frame to keep the price competitive...not because it was unsafe.

If you think about it, this method of construction wouldn't be too terribly different fron the marrying of a carbon fork to an aluminum steerer or crown.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast