New '02 Trek 1000 vs. Used '99 Specialized Allez Comp
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

New '02 Trek 1000 vs. Used '99 Specialized Allez Comp

I can get the Trek 100 for $579, new on close out locally. It has a chomoly fork and misc. parts, but Shimano Sora in the gear & braking trains. It's 8 speed.

The Specialized Allez Comp is a '99 model, with 5,000 riding miles. No racing, no crashes, he says. It's got Shimano Ultra parts. I've asked him to clarify just which parts, or all. Also is flight deck wired. Don't know yet if the computer comes with. Don't know the speed, yet, either.

I've read some reviews on this bike and it sounds like the frame breaks around this many miles.

So, of course, any thoughts on which to get? The Specialized is clearly the better bike, if it had less miles. But it does have 5,000.

This is about the price range I'm looking for, as I'll just be starting in as a road rider.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, and thanks for having me on the boards!

PT

Off the back

Go new

IMHO: That's a lot to pay for a 1999 Aluminum bike of OK quality. That group is likely pretty used and due to be replaced. Especially if you've got no idea who's maintained it and how. The frame isn't "ready to break" though. I think that some opinions about "disposable Aluminum frames" that you read here are questionable at best. Some believe it, some (me included) don't buy it.

But: You are at least due for cables, brake pads, tires. You should be due for chain, cassette, chainrings. You might be due for wheels, BB, saddle. In other words: You'd need lots of $$$ to get as good of performance that you'd get from that new Trek.

I owned a 1999 Allez sport. A bit harsh riding and needed lots of attention to keep it running well. That was 105 and not Ultegra, so my comparison is probably moot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pitt83
    IMHO: That's a lot to pay for a 1999 Aluminum bike of OK quality. That group is likely pretty used and due to be replaced. Especially if you've got no idea who's maintained it and how. The frame isn't "ready to break" though. I think that some opinions about "disposable Aluminum frames" that you read here are questionable at best. Some believe it, some (me included) don't buy it.

But: You are at least due for cables, brake pads, tires. You should be due for chain, cassette, chainrings. You might be due for wheels, BB, saddle. In other words: You'd need lots of $$$ to get as good of performance that you'd get from that new Trek.

I owned a 1999 Allez sport. A bit harsh riding and needed lots of attention to keep it running well. That was 105 and not Ultegra, so my comparison is probably moot.
    Thanks! Being a newbie, I hadn't thought of any of those things.

I went and road the Allez a bit and it rode pretty well, but I didn't really take it out and put it through paces. It did have new tires and was single owner and they seemed really meticulous. It looked to be in almost new condition, but I didn't look carefully at the cassette, etc.

I decided I better wait and see all of the options, rather than making an impulse buy on what seemed like a bargain.

pt