New bike!!! Cyclocross???!!!???

Jul 2004

New bike!!! Cyclocross???!!!???

Hello All,

I'd like some opinions on a new bike purchase. my first and only bike I've owned is a 1981 Lotus Eclair. Purchased at Proteus Bikes in College Park in 1981. I have determined that a cyclocross would be the best bike for me. I like to tour, ride on the rode, and trails such as the C&O Canal Tow Path in Washington DC. I like the idea of a bike that has the drop-down handlebars and the ability to go offroad. Not any serious stump jumping, that's not me. I am a roadie. I like taking casual rides on local bike paths and neighborhood roads, and also enjoy a good mountain climb followed by speedy descent (Skyline Drive in Virginia). I want to be able to tour (did 1 mo. in Ireland on my Lotus). I want be able to stomp it on flats and pretend I'm head to head with Robbie McEwen, but will never join a club ride or anything like that, like the speed. I am thinking of the Trek XO, Redline Cross, or Fuji Cross, all of which I've seen in local DC bike shops. I have read nothing but positive reviews of these bikes and would appreciate some possible negatives re: purchasing and owning a cyclocross and other suggestions of bikes I could purchase. Plus does my logic to purchasing this type of bike hold water or should I just by a tourer? I would spend $1700 for a bike.

Thanks ahead of time.
    Bill

Jul 2004
    Im sure you've already thought of this route, but anyhow, if you're not exaclty sure if a cross bike is right for you, why not buy used to begin with. If you dont like it, then you're not out the 1700 bucks. If you like the bike, even better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    a cross bike is the way to go for what you're doing. I have a couple of suggestions if you will. If your budget is $1700, consider buying a bike in the $1300 range and buy a second set of wheels. Then you'll have a dedicated set of off-road wheels and a set for the road. If you never ride anything more tecnical than the C&O, then is this unnecessary.

The other thing I would suggest is to upgrade the cantis on the bike. It's pricey, but worth getting a set of canti brakes that not only stop well with road bike levers, but also allow you to modulate. I have 2 friends who had bad incidents with avid brakes, they weren't really working then engaged too fast. You don't want this to happen when you are on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Empella, Pauls or Spookys are great choices.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

Thumbs up cross bike

I think a cross bike is the way for you to go too. I have ridden the paint branch, lake artemesia, ne branch, sligo... on a cross bike and have not had any problems. I switched the tires to road tires 25's though as the cross tires dont exactly inspire confidence in the corners.
    Head down to college park cycles and test out their cross bikes... lemond, cannondale, and redline if they have one. I am sure they can get you an xo1 if you are so inclined. They are good people there, Chad and the gang will fix you right up.
    Proteus is a good shop, but I think they sell mostly iron horse, and I dont think they have a cross bike.
    Good luck!
    http://www.bike123.com/mtairy.htm
    College Park Bicycles 4360 Knox Road College Park MD 20740 301-864-2211

AJS
    banned
    CX might be your best choice. I bought this bike for much the same reasons you're talking about.

Check out the K2 Enemy at www.k2bikes.com - great frame & parts selection at reasonable price (around $1000. MSRP), and excellent geometry (for me). Easily competes with the Bianchi Axis, Redline Conquest, Kona Jake, etc. I rode quite a few in the $1300. range and couldn't find anything better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jan 2003

a cross bike is a great choice.

i purchased an interloc cyclocross frame and built up a cross/city bike with a winwood cross fork, xt components, ritchey aero wheels and mtb riser bars. i love it. i have several pairs of continental tires: a set of 28mm gatorskins; a set of 40 mm semi-slick avenues; and, a set of 37mm twisters for trail riding. its not quite as fast as my road bike with the gatorskins, but it scoots along pretty nicely. plus, i can either bomb around the city with the fat avenues or go on trails with the twisters. the frame easily handles the 40 mm tires. the frame itself is very stiff and very lively. its a great climber and its really quick and handles nicely on trails, if i have to wind my way through roots and the like. i know its pretty easy to find the frame, but i dont know where or how you could find a complete bike built up from the frame. also, most of the other options you are looking at utilize aluminum frames. and while i know lots of folks say that it doesnt matter that much, my humble opinion is that you'd definitely notice the difference if you rode a decent steel frame - like the interloc frame and then compared it to the aluminum. considering that you could get a pretty decent steel frame for about the same money, i'd go for the steel frame.
    a cross bike will give you a nice bit of versatility and i would definitely go for one.

Quote Originally Posted by bbirdy202
    Hello All,

I'd like some opinions on a new bike purchase. my first and only bike I've owned is a 1981 Lotus Eclair. Purchased at Proteus Bikes in College Park in 1981. I have determined that a cyclocross would be the best bike for me. I like to tour, ride on the rode, and trails such as the C&O Canal Tow Path in Washington DC. I like the idea of a bike that has the drop-down handlebars and the ability to go offroad. Not any serious stump jumping, that's not me. I am a roadie. I like taking casual rides on local bike paths and neighborhood roads, and also enjoy a good mountain climb followed by speedy descent (Skyline Drive in Virginia). I want to be able to tour (did 1 mo. in Ireland on my Lotus). I want be able to stomp it on flats and pretend I'm head to head with Robbie McEwen, but will never join a club ride or anything like that, like the speed. I am thinking of the Trek XO, Redline Cross, or Fuji Cross, all of which I've seen in local DC bike shops. I have read nothing but positive reviews of these bikes and would appreciate some possible negatives re: purchasing and owning a cyclocross and other suggestions of bikes I could purchase. Plus does my logic to purchasing this type of bike hold water or should I just by a tourer? I would spend $1700 for a bike.

Thanks ahead of time.
    Bill