New bike purchase help
    T.R., conservationist

New bike purchase help

Hello.

Considering a new disc road bike. The disc Felt VR4 I have is not as efficient or comfortable on the road as my Look caliper braked bike, so want to make the Felt strictly for gravel and get a disc road bike that can handle 28, 30, or 32 tires for the isolated, rural area where I ride.

I am a fan of Ti, but open to CF. Would just like the weight to be reasonable as I draft behind turtles on climbs.
    Electronic shifting preferred and I already have a good carbon wheelset to go on this, so the wheels that come with it will be for back-up.

Budget is $8K max, total... so, opinions please?

I am 62 and am trying to get back to a 17mph average by spring when I've signed up to do a 100 mile ride. TIA

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lynskey has what you offerings in Ti disc Di2/Etap. Carbon would be lighter and more to choose from. You could help narrow it down with geometry wants. Specifically, reach and stack would be helpful. Personally, I would go with Carbon Fiber for weight and more choices.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    $8k would buy a pretty nice titanium bike. Especially if you're not going to spend a ton of money on wheels. You can get a nice set of aluminum rimmed custom wheels for $800-$1000. Do bikes off the rack fit you well, or are having to swap the stems out (really long/short -- big angle) or use 2" of spacers? There's plenty of custom titanium builders who can make a nice custom frame if that's the case. If not, its even easier to find a nice frame. If you want a Lynskey, shop around, they often sell really cheap new frames on ebay. A friend of mine bought one from a UK vendor a lot cheaper than what Lynskey wanted to charge.

Consider buying the frame and all the parts separately. Its not always the cheapest route, but you get exactly what you want. Do you really want a set of Mavic Ridculem wheels? No, you don't.

I think everyone should have a titanium bike. They're not the lightest option, but they ride really nice, are tough and last forever. And really -- you'll never notice a couple pounds of weight. If I ever travel anywhere and take a bike, it's always my titanium bike. No paint to chip. Even an airport luggage handler, dropping the case 4 feet out of the cargo hold of a plane onto the runway couldn't hurt it. It's a 1999 Litespeed Ultimate I got on close out in early 2000. A few years ago, I completely refurbished it down to buffing the frame and replacing the decals. It as like the thging was brand new again. Lately, I really like the classic looks of Seven, Erikson or Moots. Lynskey (formerly Litespeed), and Litespeed are a bit more showboat with bent and shaped tubes that look cool, but I'm not really sure they add much to the performance of the frame.

For a 20 year old bike, it still looks decent and rides nicely ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

T.R., conservationist
    Thank you!
    Yes, off the shelf sizes seem to fit good, I'm relatively average sized.
    I do have a Merlin with caliper breaks so I considered CF.
    Went with BMC 01-three.
    That Petrol Blue color with the coral-red highlights was just too appealing to me.
    That, and the weight savings that would have played on my mind, made the decision for me.
    Thanks for the input!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerman View Post
    Thank you!
    Yes, off the shelf sizes seem to fit good, I'm relatively average sized.
    I do have a Merlin with caliper breaks so I considered CF.
    Went with BMC 01-three.
    That Petrol Blue color with the coral-red highlights was just too appealing to me.
    That, and the weight savings that would have played on my mind, made the decision for me.
    Thanks for the input!
    Pictures please!
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett