New bike: SCOTT ADDICT LTD or TIME VXRS ULTEAM 06
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Roadcyclist

Wink New bike: SCOTT ADDICT LTD or TIME VXRS ULTEAM 06

hi guys..

appreciate any feedback from anyone.

i will be selling off my current bike (TIME VXR-great bike!) selling due to wrong size , and planning to purchase a new frame/bike soon.

at the moment, i'm down with a couple of choices.
    1. SCOTT ADDICT LTD (with intergrated post)
    2. TIME VXRS ULTEAM

may consider the COLNAGA EXTREME POWER as well.

can anyone provide me with the pros/cons of the above frameset(s)?

anyway, FYI, i weigh 130lbs, am 5ft 4in tall.

cheers

Roadcyclist
    frame pic..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lemur-ing
    Hmmm... both? hehe...

Why don't you try out both and see which one you like? But, since you had a Time before, you might wanna try something different. Look at the colnago as well.

good luck and keep us posted

EuroCrash
    Get the Scott.

52-16
    (Time owner)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    In my opinion there is no contest: Time, period. That said, a guy I race with broke his Time frame in the last race of this season - his drive-side chainstay snapped clean through near the drop out. This happened half way through the race and yet he still managed to win the sprint! Time has already replaced the frame.
    Time is a more exclusive brand compared with Scott and I think their products are superior. My 5 cents worth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    If you can, i would go for the colnago extreme power

Adrenalina Italiana
    I have mixed feelings on the Time.I felt it lacked torsional stiffness in the head tube/frame...although the stiff fork does somewhat compensate for it.The top tube was just too thin,it flexed alot from side to side.(Boonen's had a different top tube than what is available commercially - confirmed by a friend I have over seas that picks frames up alongside the Quickstep mechanics). However...the drivetrain is incredibly rigid..with nice stiff wishbone stays. I also felt the French craftmanship was done in good taste..the bike had a nice finish.

Not too familiar with the Scott bikes...can't get past those gaudy big silver graphics they seem to love to plaster all over the frame.I have heard that they are light and corner fast. Also know they have replaceable alloy hangars that are a plus in my book.

I'd look real strong at the Colnago. A company that has put alot of bikes under alot of fast kidsbeacause they get it. They have a long successful pedigree that is the only one that I know ofthat can put out bikes with soul at production rate.Another good plus for the Italian company is that they have a wider spectrum of sizes to choose from...they come in cm. increments. Also they seem to fit the guys with long legs with shorter torsos the best but having said that...I would go one shorter than normal to allow for a longer stem...the bike is already balanced but a long stem would put alot more weight...which it likes...over the front wheel..getting nice and low.

Also, I wouldn't rule out the Pinarello camp.I've been cacooned by their Paris carbon offering and after riding this bike for a season....I can't wait to get ahold of their magnesium Dogma FPX early next year,when they are made available.Sure these frames run heavier than most but they make up for it in the ride characteristics.The paris is probably the smoothest bike I have ever been on...I think the Onda forks and stays contribute alot in the aspect. It really shines on the descents.It almost forces you to go faster and gets you to the finish line alot fresher.

Sorry for the rant...I love talking about fast bikes!
    " the odds are good, the goods are even odder."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SPINDAWG

I'd look real strong at the Colnago. A company that has put alot of bikes under alot of fast kidsbeacause they get it. They have a long successful pedigree that is the only one that I know ofthat can put out bikes with soul at production rate.Another good plus for the Italian company is that they have a wider spectrum of sizes to choose from...they come in cm. increments. Also they seem to fit the guys with long legs with shorter torsos the best but having said that...I would go one shorter than normal to allow for a longer stem...
    SPINDAWG: not to change the thread topic, but what other bike makers are you aware of that are good for long legs/short torso? (I heard Specialized)

May 2002
    The Scott Addict with integrated post won't be available for quite some time due to production problems with the clamp.

Self-Banned
    deleted

Self-Banned
    I love my VXRS but with that being said, the Look 595 Ultra and the Pina Paris carbon are on my radar for my next frame.

Roadcyclist

thanks guys..

between 595 and ULTEAM, i would prefer the ULTEAM.

TIME frameset seems a more superior frame although the 595 Origina/ULTRA uses the latest in carbon (nanotechnology apparently)

Pina paris is another good bet.

as for the SCOTT, i do agree with the overly large DECALs.

for 2007, it seems to that TIME has not improve the ULTEAM by large.

Adrenalina Italiana
    Quote Originally Posted by P.D.E.
    SPINDAWG: not to change the thread topic, but what other bike makers are you aware of that are good for long legs/short torso? (I heard Specialized)
    Unfortunately,there are very few frames with short top tubes. Some that come to mind are some Look models but only the few that have the traditional 72.5 STA like the 481 and 386...Colnago and you might check the Gios line.Some Merckx frames have slack STA such as the stock team sc.

Contrary to what most folks believe,frames with more relaxed STAs actually have a shorter reach for an given saddle position,relative to the bb.The exact difference in horizontal reach is the c-c frame size times(cosA-cosB) where A and B are the two STAs.To compare two frames with different STAs,the (positive) value can either be added to the TT length of the frame with the steeper STA or subtracted from the TT length of the frame with a more relaxed STA to figure the true difference in reach.For an average 55cm frame,the value is 9mm per dgree.The comparison even holds for frames of slightly different sizes,assuming the same handlebar height is used.
    " the odds are good, the goods are even odder."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks SPINDAWG, that was very helpful, and it makes perfect sense now that I think about it as you describe. I wish the LBS guy who sold me my last bike (when I was pretty much a road newbie at the time) was that knowlegeable as he basically got it the wrong way around when we were discussing different bikes and their relative cockpit lengths!

Roadcyclist

Smile Colnago Extreme Power..hmm

Quote Originally Posted by mytorelli
    If you can, i would go for the colnago extreme power
    I've never ridden a Colnago until today..

have ridden Merckx, Trek, and now Time.

as far as i'm concern, Colnago has not impress me on their tubing technology unlike TIME or SCOTT.
    not much development has taken place over the yrs on Colnago's CF tubing. It claims to be manufactured by similar CF manufacturer that does FERRARIs and that's about it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

Simple answer- Go TIME

I have the Ulteam and I love it. It is extremely stiff. Don't believe those who say differently. I don't know if Boonen has a different frame then what I have, but I do know that there are only a few number of people that can generate the power and torque that Boonen produces. That being said...you, me and everyone else isn't going to flex this bike. Also, only time and the higher end Colnagoes recieve carbon sheets and then shape their carbon by hand in house. This allows the bike makers to fabricate the frame to their desired specifications. My bike built up with Campy euros, Campy Carbon Record weighs in at 15.9lbs, which I think is pretty light. Add into that the stiffness and I think you can't find a lighter and better bike.

As for the Scott, I too looked at this bike because of the claimed stiffness to weight ratio. I had a Pinarello Alum and was told that I would hate the highest end Scott even compared to my midrange Pinarello because of the flex. They wouldn't even let me try it. Take what you want out of that. (PS it wasn't a scam to get me buy a more expensive bike bc I basically got the bike at cost)

I also looked at the Colnago Extreme-C, but chose the Time bc it was lighter, seemed stiffer, cost less, and seemed to have more "thought" put into the design. Good luck with your decision.

Self-Banned
    When I firmly grasp the saddle and stem on my VXRS and push one and tug the other with some effort I can make the frame flex laterally but whether it's enough to make much of difference in how the bike performs in it's intended use for me or anyone else seems dubious.
    If anything bad ever happened to me while riding this bike I doubt it had anything to do with the frames front end lateral rigity. ...bad drivers, perhaps ...bad roads, perhaps ...flat tire, yes ...rear derailleur that needed adjustment, yep ...my fitness, sure ...the frame, no, never.

FIRESTARTER
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick
    hi guys..

appreciate any feedback from anyone.

i will be selling off my current bike (TIME VXR-great bike!) selling due to wrong size , and planning to purchase a new frame/bike soon.

at the moment, i'm down with a couple of choices.
    1. SCOTT ADDICT LTD (with intergrated post)
    2. TIME VXRS ULTEAM

may consider the COLNAGA EXTREME POWER as well.

can anyone provide me with the pros/cons of the above frameset(s)?

anyway, FYI, i weigh 130lbs, am 5ft 4in tall.

cheers
    If ya don't mind, what kind of riding are you doin and what are you looking for in a frame (looks,weight,material,and so on)? From what I've read, the Colnago Extreme Power is a sprinters bike with larger diameter tubes and internal reinforcements for when guys with a name like "THOR" throw down the hammer (not that he rides one). At your weight and height and if your thinking Colnago, why not a C50 or Extreme-C to think about? Without knowing more about your type of riding and what your looking for, it's hard to recomend. But from the other 2 you mentioned, I know a lot of racers that use a Scott CR1 and are happy. I think the Addict is still fairly new (and costly) that you won't get much feed back on it. It's supposed to be a good upgrade from the CR1. If it fits ya ok, then give it a shot
    "handles corners like a prostitute"- Bike Snob NYC

"He who dies with the most toys...still dies"- Bumper Sticker

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would check out the offerings from Look. Great Frames and great customer service. I had a small paint crack in my headtube of my Look 555. They sent me a Look 565 to replace it within 1 week of me posting a pic of the cracked headtube on the Look forums on this board.. Customer service goes a long way to me!
    Tomorrows battle is won during today's practice. - Samurai maxim

In the course of achieving anything, nothing is more important than persistence.

Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret!.

RoadBikeReview Member

This what I would get

I have a Look 585

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/ph...ic.php?t=23362

Nothing more sexy than that (bikes that is)

Roadcyclist

Talking thanks for the input guys..

i'm actually on the look-out for a frame which climbs (and fits) well.

i've tried the CR1 LTD once, and it's a totally different animal if compare with my 06 VXR.
    Seems much smoother and stiffer.

i guess a lot of it has got to do with the larger diamter and thin walled CF tubing

nevertheless, both a great frames..

never ridden a Colnago, so i can't tell the difference between TIME and Colnago

Jan 2004

Get the Time if it fits

As someone mentioned earlier, Colnago sizes are spaced out at 1cm increments. So, you should have a much easier time of selecting the right frame size. You already made the mistake of choosing the incorrect size with you existing Time. The large number of Colnago sizes is really a plus when compared to the relatively low number of sizes offered by Time or Look.

If the Time Ulteam fits then it's the best choice in terms of ride quality, build quality and performance. But, it has to fit! If you have not already done so, get measured by a serotta qualified fitter and use the measurements to make you choice. Don't compromise on fit by choosing an in-between size. Otherwise, you will be in the same position as you are now with your Time.

One thing that I do not like about these choices is their decals. I really like the Colnago colors, headbadge and decals. But, Time and Look decals are just not appealing to me.
    Moots Vamoots SL - Uber Alles

Not Banned

hmmm from my perusal at interbike (CF rides)

I'd take the Time over the Scott
    I thought the Look 595 integrated seatpost was the best of the bunch
    if ya want a stiff sprinters bike, the Ridley Noah is beefed like no other in the BB and in Green
    if money isn't an object Merckx AXM
    the Nag extreme power was nice too! but it was down on my list.
    lots of Italian rides are short TT with Long ST
    Boonen is just the opposite, a 57 ST with a 59 or 60 TT (another reason he needs stiffened TTs)
    but his build is just like De Vlaemnics and eddy thinks that long torso short stocky legs makes a lower center of gravity superior for the pave
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Roadcyclist

Smile thanks for the great advice to everyone..

my previous ride before my current VXR was the Eddy Merckx GX2, and the TEAM SC. both are great bikes nonetheless.

the reason i choose TIME over EDDY MERCKX AXM was the tubing technology TIME put in.
    there`s no denying both TIME and EDDY are great bikes, but as we all know, CF frames has evolved by leap and bounds over the years (there`s so many CF framesets out there nowadays as compared to, say 2 yrs ago?)
    TIME attracted me with how they manipulated the carbon tubes into different types of shapes sizes, etc. and I believe TIME were among the pioneers with INTEGRATED SEAT POST frame design?

it goes to show the research TIME puts in is none other than marvelous, manufacturers are currently following suit the ISP design. it works, i guess

with EDDY, we can`t go wrong. AXM is indeeed a great frame. among the stiffest frame out there (as according to Bicycling Mag)

but TIME has the technology.

cheers.

Lemur-ing
    I like Tom Boonen's bike... The white world championship bike.. SWEEEET... is the frame available?

Look 595, white just does it....

Hmm to the OP, is tere anything about your Time bike you don't like or do you just wanna try something different from time?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast