RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009

New Crank Brothers Egg Beaters Pedals

Installed the new pedals - very happy

http://route306technology.blogspot.c...er-pedals.html

photo attached

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I picked up 2 pairs of the new Egg-Beaters at Performance. I like these pedals a lot, but the stick in the mud here is finding the 3-hole road cleat. If you use MTB shoes, it's not a problem, but if you want to use a road shoe, Crank Bros. seems hesitant to come up with anything other than the 0-float Quatro cleat.... and their long term commitment and availability of these seems questionable. I personally thought their 2-hole "pontooned" road cleat was a real winner for those with a 2-hole option on their road shoes, but those are long gone. I'm currently using a Crank Bros. 3 hole road cleat that does not have the 0-float "outrigger". That cleat can no longer be found anywhere that I'm aware of. So while I like the Egg-Beater, their apparent non commitment to a road cleat seems frustrating.

your text here
    what is so new about the new eggbeaters?

the candies look slick...
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    I couldn't stand the slippery float provided by the CB pedals on my road bike. I'm still running them on my MTB and they seem to do well with that. I think that they are way over priced for pedals with bushings in lieu of bearings. If you serviced them as often as recommended, you'd almost spend more time servicing than riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    I didnt like the float on the egg beaters and went back to my spd's on my mountain bike. I am glad you like yours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003
    I use the egg beaters for CX and XC. I have two sets of the Road Quattros, but have gone back to SPD-SL.

The old (read, pre 2010) Crank Brothers pedals had embarrassingly short bearing life. I have Shimano pedals that are 10 years old and have never needed bearing service.

However, if you want to shead mud, the Egg Beater has them all...well...beat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    When I stared riding again, some nine years back now, it took me a year or so to get up the impetus to try clipless - then some while to retrain feet used to pulling up, not twisting sideways, to get clear of the pedals.

Didn't care for SPD, tried Eggies and got along fine. Eventually, delusions of grandeur got me onto Shimano road pedals. Then we moved to Chicago after living yards from one of the main cycling roads out of DC. Now, instead of a set of lights in the village, there's a set every block as I cross town for the lakeshore trail, or north to lighter Burb-ville. Didn't take long before I got the new black eggies back on the best bike - much easier for this non-stop clip in/clip out lifestyle.

Even found a comfortable pair of two / three bolt Shimano road shoes in local Performance, plus a pair of Crank's original pontoon'd two bolt road cleats lurking in another LBS. Didn't know they'd dropped their three hole road cleat, though have thought that their zero float 3-hole cleat could acquire float for five minutes in my shop with a hacksaw.

Am presently riding a pair of adaptors I found in REI - these allow MTB CB cleats to fit on road shoes with 2/3 hole fittings. A little creaky ocassionally, but they seem to be holding up.

D

RoadBikeReview Member
    I definitely hate the vertical play/float on my Candy's. Love the simplicity, though.

Considering some Egg Beaters or newer Candy's. As long as road shoes has 2-bolt patterns, I'm in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    so far still happy with them - not sure of the cleats that I got with the new box or the cleats that the sell - not sure if they ship the high end clear with the pedals

i have been using the MTB shoes on the road - looking to get a new pair - maybe SIDI?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Well if you continue to use MTB shoes, you'll be fine. If you want to switch to a road shoe, however, the only road cleat still available is three-hole Quatro 0-float cleat. And as I've said above, their long term commitment to providing these seems questionable as the Quatro has been discontinued.. The only cleat they ever supplied with either the Candy or the Egg-Beater was the standard MTB cleat. The special 3-hole road cleats were supplied with the Quatro. A few years back, you could still find their excellent 2-hole "pontooned" road cleat, but these have long been discontinued to the best of my knowledge.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I had a set of the 2 hole pontooned cleats that came with a new set of candy's i bought, as well as the regular mountain cleat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I never was that fortunate. Always had to find the 2-hole "pontoons" separately packaged.....when I was lucky enough to find them at all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Moved to the new Eggbeater 1 SE's from Performance. Quite the difference from the previous-gen Candy's (aside from the lack of "platform"). Engagement/release is much tighter than I recall with the Candy's and so that noticeably helps with the notable excess float issue. I've gone back and forth thinking of trying another system but I got a great price for these, and loved fact that they've been improved upon in the ways I wanted.

I wonder if I could replace the bushing with a needle bearing, have me a cheap "1.5". But I doubt I'll complain about the bushing ever. Also lusting the 3-hole cleat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck
    Moved to the new Eggbeater 1 SE's from Performance. Quite the difference from the previous-gen Candy's (aside from the lack of "platform"). Engagement/release is much tighter than I recall with the Candy's and so that noticeably helps with the notable excess float issue. I've gone back and forth thinking of trying another system but I got a great price for these, and loved fact that they've been improved upon in the ways I wanted.

I wonder if I could replace the bushing with a needle bearing, have me a cheap "1.5". But I doubt I'll complain about the bushing ever. Also lusting the 3-hole cleat.
    If you're lusting for the 3-hole cleat, the only one I've found is the "fixed" or "0" float version. This was at the Crank Bros.site BTW. Don't know if they'll continue to produce these or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Can any of you new eggbeater owners comment on the inboard seal, and whether it looks any better than the old one. The major problem with my older eggbeaters is crap getting past the seal and scoring the spindle.

kg1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Second this

Quote Originally Posted by strathconaman
    I use the egg beaters for CX and XC. I have two sets of the Road Quattros, but have gone back to SPD-SL.

The old (read, pre 2010) Crank Brothers pedals had embarrassingly short bearing life. I have Shimano pedals that are 10 years old and have never needed bearing service.

However, if you want to shead mud, the Egg Beater has them all...well...beat.
    I also have a pair of the older Crank Brother pedals that need to be rebuilt on my fixie, and a pair of shimano pedals that have probably ten times the miles on them on my road bike. The Shimano pedals still work great. The CB rebuild kit is only $25, so it's not terrible, but with most of the bike stuff I have, I get sick of if long before it wears out, not my CB pedals, though.

thanks.

kg1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mick wolfe
    If you're lusting for the 3-hole cleat, the only one I've found is the "fixed" or "0" float version. This was at the Crank Bros.site BTW. Don't know if they'll continue to produce these or not.
    Looking at the image on the CB site, it looks like a little work with a saw could get rid of what looks to be a primitive 'float stopper' and make these work like their 'old' three hole road cleats.

Of course, having a fine cutting jigsaw handy might not apply to many folk...

Am contemplating giving it a try, as the floaty three holer seems to have gone away. Couple of months ago, I idly tracked a pair of three hole cleats on ThiefBay - they went for $40 plus shipping. Not a good sign.

bikerjulio - the 2010 Eggies I got look to have way better bearings than my others, which were all around 2005/06-ish. They came with a little sideways float - which Crank Bros appeared to treat as normal, from my enquiries to them. The jury's still out on sealing issues, but am pretty much an aged fine weather cyclist these days, so maybe I'm the wrong one to ask ;)

Regards

Dereck

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is what I'm talking about on "stainless" SL spindles. Probably salt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    I just bought the Eggbeater 3s.

I'm probably in the minority on this one - but I'm going back to the XTRs since I find that I can clip in faster. I know, I know - it should be just the opposite. I always find the hard way to do things. Going to ebay the 3s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    If anyone's still around on this one, I just got an email back from Maxine at Crank Bros,

From her email:
    At this time we are out of the 3 hole cleats. I do not have a definite ETA on those. However I will save your contact info and let you know when they are back in stock. You can get the "fixed" 3 hole cleat and take the tab off. This is essentially the same product. I will keep your e mail and let you know when they come in.
    End quote

So, I might just try sawing off the fixed cleat tab. I can do it in my hobby workshop, I reckon, and if they are prepared to agree with it, it can't be all that bad.

That November has been cancelled for all wonderful activities bar 'travelling' - on the wrong number of wheels, of course - and the impending Chicagoland winter may impact on whether this is of any use...

Regards
    Dereck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Apologies for digging up this old thread, but Crank Bros just emailed me that they have new stock in three hole road cleats with float.

Might be of use to Crank-ie fans?

D