New to Mountain Bikes. Cake 2 DLX ?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

New to Mountain Bikes. Cake 2 DLX ?

Hey everybody. I've decided to add fat tires to the stable. I'm looking at the Gary Fisher Cake 2 DLX, but there seems to have been a lot of problems with the bike? I want a "bullet proof" bike to complement my road biking. I'm considering Kona maybe Specialized. I want a full suspension bike. I'm 6'4" and 240 lbs.
    I like my local bike shop. They offer free lifetime service, but they are an hour away.
    Any thoughts?
    David

Gone for a bike ride ....
    Quote Originally Posted by 5th wheel
    I want a "bullet proof" bike to complement my road biking. I want a full suspension bike. I'm 6'4" and 240 lbs. I like my local bike shop. They offer free lifetime service, but they are an hour away.
    Any thoughts?
    David
    At 240 and 6'4", you're going to be very demanding of any bike. How do you know you want full suspension? Where and what kind of riding will you be doing? I wouldn't worry too much about the free lifetime service as I would about getting good advice and getting to test ride a number of bikes, and not just in the parking lot. Off-road riding is much more demanding on the bike, so nothing will be "bullet proof" unless you ride only on manicured trails. If you're really new to mountain biking, I'd suggest an "entry level" bike to get you started, to see what kind of riding turns you on, to find where you like to ride, and also to get to try out out friends' bikes during group rides. Only then will you be able to make a really informed decision about your second bike.

Good luck. I hope you fall in love with mountain biking as much as I have.

Nasty, brutish, and tall.
    I've decided to add fat tires to the stable.
    Consider not spending ginormous sums. You won't look as cool, but you'll be happier when you find out it's really hard or just not the sport for you (or what have you).

Seriously, go rent a bike and ride it for a week - don't just go write a $3000 check.

For that matter, just get a rigid singelspeed. You'll be able to spend a pittance and get parts you know won't break under your not-minimal size. Plus, you'll look really, really cool.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

To me singlespeed=knee pain

Thanks for the posts. In the past I've gone entry level and spent more money selling and upgrading than if I had bought what I wanted to start with. I'm looking at something in the middle ground. I can get the Cake 2 DLX for about $1,700 which is a little less than my budget for this bike. I going to test ride a couple of bikes. Specialized, GF, and Intense.
    David

Nasty, brutish, and tall.
    To me singlespeed=knee pain
    Popular fallacy.

Test riding multiple similar bikes is probably much more effective than asking a bunch of road bikers what they think is good. Likewise, MTBR is quite a resource.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

kona

at 6'4" and 240, you should check out the Kona Clydesdale line. They are hardtails, but if you're new to the sport a hardtail will improve your skills a heck of a lot faster than a dualie. Good luck...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

fair enough

Fair enough.