New vs upgrade! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New vs upgrade!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ivanthetrble View Post
    The LBS has a '19 Domane in my size and I have strongly considered it. Main drawback for me is the issues I have been hearing about with the press in bottom brackets and squeaking. The '19 have press in bearings and the '20 have threaded. Small differences and not sure the threaded will be any better/quieter but I have a few friends with Treks with press in bearings and they all complain of noise.
    I have had one bearing creaking on my Domane after 3000 miles of use, the shop I bought it from fixed it. 28,000 + miles on it and no problems since that first one. I did replace bearings once in between there because of normal wear, not creaking.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Again, "same tires and PSI you've been using" is what I said. If you don't think that's a good idea to use tires and PSI one is familiar with for testing a new bike that's fine. Why you keep harping on copying the PSI one might use for 23 to 32 is a complete mystery to me because I didn't even hint at that.

I said use what he has been using so he can feel the different in the bike not just the difference in the tires. Again if you don't think that's a good idea fine. But enough with turning what I said into something else just to argue about nothing.
    Because I never fathomed that you meant for him to put his 23's on the Domane .

Yea I think putting his 23's on rims that are 30mm wide and a bike designed for 32mm tires is useless and will ride like total crap. It's ridiculous to test ride a bike setup like you're never going to use it.

I'd definitely verify with bontreager that it's even safe to put 23`s onto their rims.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    It makes absolutely no sense for the OP to put 23's on the Domane to 'evaluate' the ride w/ the same basic set up he has now. You want to ride it as it would be sold...as tlg says you're buying a bike not a frame. If you were trying to decide between a couple of different Domane models then putting the same pair of wheels on both of them might make sense, but just inflating the same size tire to the same pressure will definitely do the job.

And yes OP...you have to bring a tube just like if you were using clinchers in case you get a flat the sealant won't seal. I can't see any reason at all to ride tubeless on the road. Mtb yes, the only way to go, you actually see benefits you won't see on the road.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Guys, get a room. A lot of threads are derailing lately and going on ad-nauseum.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Guys, get a room. A lot of threads are derailing lately and going on ad-nauseum.
    Threads are derailed because someone wants to argue bad advice just for the sake of arguing.

I'm trying to help the OP out.

Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I'd definitely verify with bontreager that it's even safe to put 23`s onto their rims.
    Like I said...
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/u...stions-wrapper

Question: What is the minimum/Maximum tire size I can use for the rim?
    Open Reply - Customer Service
    These rims can safely use tires from 28mm to 64mm wide.

OP. Do not put 23's on.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Get a new bike, no comparision in quality/technology improvements in the last 16 years. I think $1200 is a little light, plus there is a lot of work/fitting issues.
    If money is an issue. You don't have to get a Domante, look around. IMO, you are comparing 2 different types of bikes.
    If you ride in hills, you'll need a compact crank & 34 cassette, get one with disks & 28 tires. You will not regret it.
    BANNED

Banned Sock Puppet
    ...................but at the same time feel like I may be missing out by not keeping up with all the new tech.
    Probably not unless you have chronic FOMO - fear of missing out. My gravel bike has disc brakes and they are nice, but they are not the cost of a new bike nice. I have no interest in e-shifting or tubeless.

So you got stung by those Bontrager paired spoke wheels too - ecccch! Yep, you will need new wheels for sure. I would replace the wheels and get a pair of the widest tires that will fit in the 2004 Zurich. Choose good tires that have supple sidewalls and you will be more noticeably faster than a 1.5lb difference in weight which as one poster here already said is the weight of a water bottle.
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The LBS has a '19 Domane in my size and I have strongly considered it. Main drawback for me is the issues I have been hearing about with the press in bottom brackets and squeaking. The '19 have press in bearings and the '20 have threaded. Small differences and not sure the threaded will be any better/quieter but I have a few friends with Treks with press in bearings and they all complain of noise.
    It's interesting that Trek, and a lot of other manufacturers are moving away from the press fit BB. My wife has one on her Lynskey 350 (I think Lynskey has since gone back to threaded) and it doesn't make any noises. It's been problem free. But she is 125 lbs and probably not as hard on it as a guy would be. I've always thought the press fit BB were a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

As for you dilemma -- only you can answer that. I've gone from being the only guy riding/racing a carbon fiber bike -- a Kestrel 200 sci back in 1992 -- and catching sh!t from the steel is real crowd for riding a plastic bike -- to buying 25 year old used Eddy Merckx frames and building them up with modern components. The last new frame I bought was Colnago Arabesque steel frame. I have refurbished a 1999 Litespeed Ultimate and a 2000 Colnago C-40. Now I'm thinking, maybe a modern bike with disc brakes, huge tubeless tires and electronic shifting is my next bike. There's no right answer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    It's interesting that Trek, and a lot of other manufacturers are moving away from the press fit BB.
    Do you know what are they using out of curiosity? BSA or some other standard?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Do you know what are they using out of curiosity? BSA or some other standard?
    Praxis, T47
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Praxis, T47
    That must be a real windfall for that company.

I heard those are pretty much flawless so good for them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12