Nishiki Provo on sale. Weakest Components? Concerns? Good for the Price Point?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015

Nishiki Provo on sale. Weakest Components? Concerns? Good for the Price Point?

User is infamous around
    Meh. You could/should be able to find similar at your LBS as a regular deal. No wonder it's on clearance if it was $799 regular price. Nobody would waste their time on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by chudak View Post
    It's made with a mixture of titanium, unobtanium and the freshly harvested dew from the sweaty brows of 16 YO suburban virgins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Don't forget the ground up unicorn horn. That makes it magical.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Its $375. Can I get an aluminum road bike with Sora components at my lbs for that price?

User is infamous around
    Sora 9 speed? You just might. Depends if they have left over past year inventory. Best bet is to go in and ask. Also keep in mind that with the LBS it's the after sale support that's just as valuable as the bike (in this case).
    Quote Originally Posted by chudak View Post
    It's made with a mixture of titanium, unobtanium and the freshly harvested dew from the sweaty brows of 16 YO suburban virgins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Don't forget the ground up unicorn horn. That makes it magical.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsweet View Post
    Its $375. Can I get an aluminum road bike with Sora components at my lbs for that price?
    Probably not, because they're likely going to offer more prominent brands. And I wouldn't fret about that, especially with bikes at this level. $375 period for that kind of road bike really is a solid enough pick-up. Has everything you need in a road bike.

Dick's staff has better know-how than Sports Authority at least, but with this kind of bike (and I'm not trying to say it negatively), you can take things as a riding and wrenching experience. The $45 for the optional coverage can just go to a basic tool set and spoke wrench. As much as I'd like to help the hard business of an LBS, I strongly believe in people learning how to fix their bikes themselves regardless if they're going to be a competitive rider or just commuting.

The bike you're looking at is really a "it is what you make of it" kind of platform. It's heavy, but it's going to do what you need it to as long as you take care of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Thank you for your reply. It is very helpful. As for the extended coverage, it includes a tune-up. So it covers any damage and a tune-up. What do you think the value of a tune-up at a store like this consists of and how good will it be. And how hard is it to tune up. Do you recommend certain web sites or videos that could get me started? The bike will be used as a back up and extra bike when my athletic, but not cyclist, family members want to join us for a weekend, 15-25 mile workout on paved, bike trails. I am assuming this bike would be a fit.
    You state that it is heavy. I think it is 23 or 24 pounds. Is that about 4 lbs more than the entry level name-brand road bikes? It is pretty flat around here and we like to go 'fast', but we are not racers, so I think the weight won't be a problem. Right?
    Last edited by dsweet; 08-17-2015 at 10:38 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    My BMC ALR01 with Sora components is about 20 pounds just to give you a point of comparison. That does include a better but still low end wheelset

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thank you for your reply. It is very helpful. As for the extended coverage, it includes a tune-up. So it covers any damage and a tune-up. What do you think the value of a tune-up at a store like this consists of and how good will it be. And how hard is it to tune up. Do you recommend certain web sites or videos that could get me started? The bike will be used as a back up and extra bike when my athletic, but not cyclist, family members want to join us for a weekend, 15-25 mile workout on paved, bike trails. I am assuming this bike would be a fit.
    You state that it is heavy. I think it is 23 or 24 pounds. Is that about 4 lbs more than the entry level name-brand road bikes? It is pretty flat around here and we like to go 'fast', but we are not racers, so I think the weight won't be a problem. Right?
    Videos and simply searching online. Don't do it all at once though. Just one job at a time, and usually in the order you find yourself needing to replace things. How hard is working on a bicycle? In the nicest way I can put it, it's just a f***ing bicycle. It's Lego-tier simple to understand, with the exception of sometimes needing very specific tools. Think of it this way, if you go to an LBS you might not be the first in line, you might get snob attitude, you could be laughably overcharged for the simplest things— and I really don't want to make it sound like it's a horrible place (each one varies), but the reality is you can be more efficient just doing things yourself even after tool costs...some of which can be used for the next bike or for other bikes in the garage.

Park Tool is one of the better resources imo because they have videos and step-by-step reads, and you'll identify the right tools needed...even if the videos kinda sell their products. But still, Park Tool has one of the more solid lines of tools to pick from.

Forum searching, as you're exercising, is also a solid option. You'll get many opinions, from experienced people at that. But definitely search before asking as it might've been covered already.

As far as weight goes, if you research up the topic a bit you'll find that it's not that big of a deal, especially on flats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Thank you for the information and the validation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015

Update

It has been 5 years since I bought the Provo. Dick's quit selling it soon after I bought it. I also bought the three year warranty, which turned out to be of value.

I am happy with the bike and have used it a lot to commute to work and to take on camping trips. Places where it might have to be locked up with the possibility of being stolen or rained on. I have a nicer bike that I use that I use for longer rides where I can keep it safe at all times.

There were problems. The brakes were not good. I replaced the pads and the brakes became acceptable, but still not good. Also, spokes kept breaking. Because it was under warranty, Dicks was very good in support, and replaced the wheelset. No problems since then.

I am very happy with my purchase.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    this is a long term review, folks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    this is a long term review, folks
    Is it a record?

Anyway, Dicks still sells similar bikes and I thought it might be of value to some.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Is it a record?

Anyway, Dicks still sells similar bikes and I thought it might be of value to some.
    It is, we hardly ever get this sort of follow up.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Is it a record?

I'm surprised you've had such good luck buying a bike from a general sporting goods store such as Dick's. Usually this is a recipe for disaster.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    We only recommend bikes from Dicks Sporting Goods on this forum.
    And be sure to frame size up while you're at it.
    You don't want to buy a road bike too small.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    My BMC ALR01 with Sora components is about 20 pounds just to give you a point of comparison. That does include a better but still low end wheelset
    LOL! How about a GT Grade with Claris for $900?

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I'm surprised you've had such good luck buying a bike from a general sporting goods store such as Dick's. Usually this is a recipe for disaster.
    I would generally agree. However, in a region where LBS's are scarce and the few LBS's in the buyer's area don't have the bike the buyer wants, the big box stores may be a necessary evil. The buyer can always take it to an LBS and pay them to iron out the kinks.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I would generally agree. However, in a region where LBS's are scarce and the few LBS's in the buyer's area don't have the bike the buyer wants, the big box stores may be a necessary evil. The buyer can always take it to an LBS and pay them to iron out the kinks.

You're now sprinkling powered sugar on your poo bike recommendation.
    Short to the point.... Shimano Claris @ $900.

And yes , I was clearly uncomfortable with your sizing recommendations.
    Last edited by rudge66; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:32 PM.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    You're now sprinkling powered sugar on your poo bike recommendation.
    Short to the point.... Shimano Claris @ $900.

And yes , I was clearly uncomfortable with your sizing recommendations.
    What is powered sugar? Is that sugar on steroids?

And I really think there are more people here who are uncomfortable with your sizing advice than mine. You still can't handle that nobody agreed with you. Do you need a cookie? Maybe one with powered sugar?

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What is powered sugar? Is that sugar on steroids?

And I really think there are more people here who are uncomfortable with your sizing advice than mine. You still can't handle that nobody agreed with you. Do you need a cookie? Maybe one with powered sugar?
    It's inappropriate for you to give fit advice to road bike riders. The riders that ask advice , and the readers assume, you are able to power ride in the drop's... And You Can't Do.
    Trying to elaborate on fit.... is out of your Orbit.
    Last edited by rudge66; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:20 PM.

Banned Sock Puppet
    It's inappropriate for you to give fit advice to road bike riders. The riders that ask advice , and the readers assume, you are able to power ride in the drop's... And You Can't Do.
    You are really grasping at straws here. You are just assuming all road riders "power ride" in the drops as you put it. It is highly inappropriate to assume a beginner rider will be doing this.

And stop putting random apostrophes on words. It's drops, not drop's. And your attempted poetry doesn't cut it.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You are really grasping at straws here. You are just assuming all road riders "power ride" in the drops as you put it. It is highly inappropriate to assume a beginner rider will be doing this.
    Certainly... if they follow your Prairie Dog position on a road bike; they are assured to have numerous fit problems.
    These problems will prohibit their development, strength, and skill.

Just like you.... if I dare say.
    Last edited by rudge66; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:14 PM.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    What is this 'power ride' you speak of?
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    What is this 'power ride' you speak of?
    yes... thanks for asking.
    To Me A power ride is your full blast effort on a road bike . And an understanding relationship of oneness with your bike. If you ride Prairie Dog... you'r not
    gonna understand it.

A road bike demands your effort to enjoy. The bike is your instrument. Your body is your ability. You gotta push it. Ride . Train. ..Adjust ..
    Road Road. Fit Fit. Power Power.
    Prairie Dog .. On a road bike ?

All road bike riders put their head down and force their power forward. The bike is their mentor. the frame is the savior.
    Last edited by rudge66; 1 Week Ago at 08:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast