• 09-19-2010
    eyezlee
    Older Trek 830 - What to do with it?
    I've got a nicely cared for Trek 830 that I'd like to do something with. Thinking about building single speed or something like a commuter / bad weather trainer.

What options do I have? Where to start? Opinions of RBR?
  • 09-19-2010
    backinthesaddle
    Single chainring the front, put on a road cassette, slap some 1.5" slicks on it, and make it a townie bike.
  • 09-19-2010
    eyezlee
    Now I'm thinking maybe turn it into a CX style do anything bike. Go with the single ring up front as mentioned above and perhaps the SRAM 11-32 on the back. Want drop bars too so, I'll need a rear brifter and maybe new rear der.
  • 09-19-2010
    zion rasta
    If you do not have the parts to convert to SS, donate it a street bum....
  • 09-19-2010
    Opus51569
    eyezlee,

I would be happy to accept your donation as per zion rasta's suggestion.

XXOO

Street bum :)
  • 09-19-2010
    moonmoth
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezlee
    I've got a nicely cared for Trek 830 that I'd like to do something with. Thinking about building single speed or something like a commuter / bad weather trainer.

What year is your 830?

My around-town beater is a 15-speed 1984 Trek 830 (Reynolds 501, lugged) built in Waterloo, WI, and still going strong. It was called an "All Terrain Bike" back then, way too heavy to be considered a MTB today. I still like riding it and if yours is as heavy as mine, you'll want to reconsider turning it into a SS if there are any hills in your area!