• 07-22-2019
    bon_gabs
    1 Attachment(s)
    Open Cycles U.P Gravel bike
    Anyone here owns this brand? Im having issues with my Rear hydraulic Brake hose being kinked on the frame head tube guide opening..brake still works but a bit worried that it might snap..
  • 07-23-2019
    kiwisimon
    cut the zip tie. If you are still worried, replace and use shrink wrap to keep things tidy.
  • 07-23-2019
    Finx
    I love me some shrink wrap to tidy up cables, but I'm not sure you're going to be able to get it close enough to the frame widget to deal with that issue.

You are dealing with either poor cable routing or poor frame design.

I can't tell from the picture where the hose goes from where it exits the frame. Is there any chance you could change the angle enough to reduce the stress on that spot?

You might consider sending this picture to OPEN and see what they have to say.
  • 07-23-2019
    fronesis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bon_gabs View Post
    Anyone here owns this brand? Im having issues with my Rear hydraulic Brake hose being kinked on the frame head tube guide opening..brake still works but a bit worried that it might snap..

That looks horrible. I ride with a guy who has this bike, and I recall his front cables looking quite tidy. Can you show us the full picture? Seems like someone did something funky there; I highly doubt that itís a design issue.
  • 07-23-2019
    kiwisimon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fronesis View Post
    That looks horrible. I ride with a guy who has this bike, and I recall his front cables looking quite tidy. Can you show us the full picture? Seems like someone did something funky there; I highly doubt that itís a design issue.

It's not a design issue, it's cables of different lengths being zip tied together, they both can't move freely so the brake line is having to make a suddenly bend.
  • 07-23-2019
    cxwrench
    Both of the ones I built had so much crap on the inside of the frame at that location you couldn't get the screw into the housing guide. The brake hose hit the excess carbon on the inside of the frame and pushed it so much you couldn't get the guide/cover to screw in correctly. One of the two had an issue w/ the Shimano rear caliper as well, the radius between the seat stay and chainstay was too big and the edge of the caliper mount tab had to be filed so I could adjust the brake correctly.

Not overly impressed w/ them.
  • 07-24-2019
    fronesis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    It's not a design issue, it's cables of different lengths being zip tied together, they both can't move freely so the brake line is having to make a suddenly bend.

Ah! In the photo I'm looking at, I can't see the zip tie. But if that's what's happening, then the zip tie seems like a terrible idea.
  • 07-24-2019
    kiwisimon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Both of the ones I built had so much crap on the inside of the frame at that location you couldn't get the screw into the housing guide. The brake hose hit the excess carbon on the inside of the frame and pushed it so much you couldn't get the guide/cover to screw in correctly. .

Don't those frames come with a foam liner that goes inside the frame covering the cabling to stop rattles. Maybe that foam was the crap?
    https://youtu.be/_-ezDxUSfdM?t=47
  • 07-24-2019
    cxwrench
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Don't those frames come with a foam liner that goes inside the frame covering the cabling to stop rattles. Maybe that foam was the crap?
    https://youtu.be/_-ezDxUSfdM?t=47

Dunno, the ones I built didn't. And there was definitely some carbon where there shouldn't have been any and it caused problems. It's not hard to look inside the frame, there is no mystery here.