Painting a carbon fork
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Painting a carbon fork

I am building up another bike and want to transfer my carbon fork (which doesn't match at all) to the new frame. I want to paint it first.
    Do you just use a high grid sand paper then spray paint it?

Thanks.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    That's what I'd do. I'd be a little careful not to sand through the clear coat. I'd just want to "rough it up" so that the primer & color coat would bond to it.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Use wet and dry paper, about 320 grit or finer. Make sure you clean everything before you spray..use a dust free rag with lots of the appropriate thinner after washing off fork with clean water. You can also use a fine Scotch-bright..available at hardware stores. Again, get everything absolutely clean before you spray.
    It is pretty easy if you are meticulous in your preparation before the spray

Don Hanson

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try. One last question - does it matter what type of paint I use?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    You should be fine as long as you don't sand down to the carbon, a good scuff with a scuff pad should do fine. I would recommend any enamel paint. Good luck.

Sep 2005
    I would not use something like Krylon! I could be totally off base with this comment, but I would look at maybe seeking a bike frame painters expertise if the fork warrants that expense, or at least their opinion of what paint to use. JMO. Good luck!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

Paint Choice

Did you ever paint your fork?

How did it turn out?

I was wondering if you used laquer (which would probably require a spray gun) or enamel?

And by the way, why not Krylon? I used to paint cars and when used by someone with "the touch" a paint job done with a spray can can be flawlwss.

RayGun

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    yes I painted my carbon fork,and it turned out great. I used a polyurethane enamel from PPG. i don't even know where you would buy lacquer anymore. i wouldn't waste my time with any rattle can. if you used to paint cars it should be no problem.