Pinarello Dogma 2 $16,500

Printable View

  • 02-02-2012
    Wyatt963
    Pinarello Dogma 2 $16,500
    Has anyone else seen the 2012 Pinarello Dogma 2 / Campagnolo Super Record EPS for sale at Competitive Cyclists for $16,500.
  • 02-02-2012
    foofighter
    the McLaren Venge goes for more and it's not electronic or is it?

    $10,000 Bikes ? What's The Point? - BikeRadar
  • 02-02-2012
    Wyatt963
    What drives the cost of this bike, is it the amount of labor required to build one?
  • 02-02-2012
    jcgill
    I got their email with the Pinarellos in it yesterday, very nice bikes.....i would love to try out the Campy electric stuff sometime!
  • 02-02-2012
    tihsepa
    Isnt this discussed in the chinese carbon crapola thread?
  • 02-02-2012
    tihsepa
    Seriously its cool lookin but i dont know if its worth it.
  • 02-02-2012
    PaxRomana
    Best of all, you get a 2 year warranty. Yay!
  • 02-02-2012
    King Arthur
    Pinarello Dogma 2
    If you can afford the bike, what is the problem? I would like to have the super record eps system, but need to see more info and review data on it.
  • 02-02-2012
    Hanks
    Pinerello PT Barnum 2
    It's really amazing how some really dumb people have so much money.

    https://i983.photobucket.com/albums/...8833-800wi.jpg

    Hank :rolleyes:
  • 02-02-2012
    PaxRomana
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post
    If you can afford the bike, what is the problem?

    No problem with anyone buying it, and no problem with laughing at them for doing it.
  • 02-02-2012
    trailrunner68
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Wyatt963 View Post
    What drives the cost of this bike, is it the amount of labor required to build one?

    Heck no. These frames cost a few hundred bucks to build.

    You can buy a bike with a custom carbon frame from Crumpton, Parlee, Serotta, etc. for less money, and those are built in the U.S. to the customer's specification.

    These bikes from the big bike makers are like putting a Ferrari price on a Yugo and then seeing who is dumb enough to buy one.
  • 02-02-2012
    PRB
    For comparison the MSRP of a 2011 Ducati 1198 is $16,495 (and anything left in stock right now is likely being blown out because of the new 1199).

    Can you guess which one I feel is the better value? :D
  • 02-03-2012
    looigi
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by trailrunner68 View Post
    Heck no. These frames cost a few hundred bucks to build.

    You can buy a bike with a custom carbon frame from Crumpton, Parlee, Serotta, etc. for less money, and those are built in the U.S. to the customer's specification.

    These bikes from the big bike makers are like putting a Ferrari price on a Yugo and then seeing who is dumb enough to buy one.

    Right. The price isn't driven by cost, but what they can get some consumers to pay. That's standard marketing strategy: Create a "high-end" version of a product and charge through the nose for it because you know there is a segment of the market that can afford it and will pay it. Those products have the highest profit margin.
  • 02-03-2012
    WTFcyclist
    What is the warranty policy of this frame (Pinarello Dogma 2 $16,500)? Till the end of the universe (or just lifetime warranty), no question ask, 1 year satisfaction guarantee?
  • 02-03-2012
    PaxRomana
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by WTFcyclist View Post
    What is the warranty policy of this frame (Pinarello Dogma 2 $16,500)? Till the end of the universe (or just lifetime warranty), no question ask, 1 year satisfaction guarantee?

    As has already been mentioned in this thread, the warranty on it is 2 years.
  • 02-03-2012
    Hiro11
    I see lots of S-Class Mercedes, 7-series BMWs and Porsche 911s being used as commuters here in Chicago. In the summer, the harbors are flooded with hundreds of million dollar sailboats that millionaires use for about four months out of the year in the lake and dry dock for thousands of dollars a month in the winter. I know men who blow five grand on a single suit. I know lots of women spend a few thousand on a purse. People give money to NPR (heh). There are entire towns in Florida that consist solely of $7MM, 10,000 square foot houses built for couples. All of this is much more common than someone buying a Ferrari Colnago.

    My point is that in the grand scheme of things there are lots of worse ways to blow a lot more money than $16K. At least a bike requires some physical activity to operate.
  • 02-03-2012
    PaxRomana
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    I see lots of S-Class Mercedes, 7-series BMWs and Porsche 911s being used as commuters here in Chicago. In the summer, the harbors are flooded with hundreds of million dollar sailboats that millionaires use for about four months out of the year in the lake and dry dock for thousands of dollars a month in the winter. I know men who blow five grand on a single suit. I know lots of women spend a few thousand on a purse. People give money to NPR (heh). There are entire towns in Florida that consist solely of $7MM, 10,000 square foot houses built for couples. All of this is much more common than someone buying a Ferrari Colnago.

    My point is that in the grand scheme of things there are lots of worse ways to blow a lot more money than $16K. At least a bike requires some physical activity to operate.

    By that logic, there are no stupid ways to spend money.

    The question is not whether there are worse ways to spend money. There always are. The question is whether there are better ones.
  • 02-03-2012
    PaxRomana
    Stupid stuff that people with too much money and too little taste do.

    Yes. That's an Alfa Romeo. In a General Lee paint scheme.

    https://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dim...lee-8c-900.jpg
  • 02-03-2012
    forge55b
    When you're that rich, money doesn't matter.
  • 02-03-2012
    chase196126
    I have seen posts about this particular bike on several forums, and each time I see people complaining about the price I ask: "Why do they give a $hit?"

    Pinarello is selling 1st generation technology with Super Record EPS and charging a premium for it. It is standard procedure in this industry. Almost every piece of gear we use today came out with a price that brought gasps from many people. Give it a year and the prices will go down.

    You don't have to buy the Pinarello EPS bike. If someone else wants to buy it at that price, good for them. The profit made from selling something like that will help Pinarello fund the sponsorship for my team and others. Pro riders being on bikes like this helps companies develop better products down the line which eventually trickle down to low level frames. People who buy bikes like this help you get a better bike in the future.

    It seems that many who have a problem with bikes in this price range argue that customers are getting suckered by buying a bike that will perform very close to something costing $12,000 less. If this is your argument and you are riding a bike more expensive than a Cannondale CAAD 10/Specialized Allez with SRAM Rival you are doing the very thing that you are critical of in those buying this Pinarello. The technology in most of the "low end" frames is at least as good if not better than the bikes riders were using in the height of the EPO era. If a CAAD frame in 2002 could handle 480+ watts for an hour or a 1700+ watt sprint the CAAD 10 is way more bike than you will ever need.


    I just do not understand the vitriol that Pinarello is getting for offering a bike at this price.
  • 02-03-2012
    trailrunner68
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by chase196126 View Post
    I just do not understand the vitriol that Pinarello is getting for offering a bike at this price.

    I think people scoff at the price because subtacting off the cost of the components and wheels leaves an outrageous price for a stock frame popped out of a mold in China.

    Bike companies don't sponsor pro teams for development. It's for marketing. They sponsor pro teams to increase their brand values and raise their prices.
  • 02-03-2012
    chase196126
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by trailrunner68 View Post
    Bike companies don't sponsor pro teams for development. It's for marketing. They sponsor pro teams to increase their brand values and raise their prices.

    The main purpose of sponsoring a team is for marketing, but companies also receive a lot of feedback from mechanics and riders, which is an added bonus for the company as well as customers. I know for a fact that our BISSELL mechanics have helped Pinarello develop and improve some of the parts on the Dogma 1.
  • 02-03-2012
    PaxRomana
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by chase196126 View Post
    The main purpose of sponsoring a team is for marketing, but companies also receive a lot of feedback from mechanics and riders, which is an added bonus for the company as well as customers. I know for a fact that our BISSELL mechanics have helped Pinarello develop and improve some of the parts on the Dogma 1.

    I hate to break this to you, but Pinarello cares about two teams: Sky and Movistar. What they say goes. They sponsor Bissell to have a presence in the lucrative US market.

    If Bissell says A and Sky says B, guess which one goes? I realize you want to defend Pinarello because you get free bikes from them, which is great. But their pricing is still ridiculous, and just because there are nitwits who pay for it, doesn't mean the rest of us can't laugh at them.
  • 02-03-2012
    chase196126
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PaxRomana View Post
    I hate to break this to you, but Pinarello cares about two teams: Sky and Movistar. What they say goes. They sponsor Bissell to have a presence in the lucrative US market.

    If Bissell says A and Sky says B, guess which one goes? I realize you want to defend Pinarello because you get free bikes from them, which is great. But their pricing is still ridiculous, and just because there are nitwits who pay for it, doesn't mean the rest of us can't laugh at them.

    Not to sound rude but no $hit, of course Pinarello listens to the desires of Movistar and Sky more than our continental team. We dont get a major say in the features that go into new products, but they still listen to the feedback that our mechanics have given them on their products. They don't write off our opinion just because we are a continental team, which is what any good sponsor should do. Pinarello has treated our team well and it gets under my skin when people complain about their product because they dont want to pay the asking price.

    I don't understand why so many are bothered by the pricing on these high end frames, especially when the diffent companies are producing a good product they will stand behind with a warrenty. If Pina wants to price it at $16000 it is your choice if you dont want to buy. It's a premium product that some are willing to pay a premium price for. Calling someone who buys an expensive bike a nitwit for doing so is about as immature as you can get.

    Just my .02 on the issue, just like yours.
  • 02-04-2012
    Wyatt963
    You raised some very good points chase19126, and I now think it is good that there are some people out there who will spend this amount of money on a bike. It allows the technology of bikes to be elevated, and will eventually find its way to the lower priced bikes, therefor benefitting all of us.