Pinarello Dogma 2 or Colnago C59

View Poll Results: What should my next ride be?

Voters
218. You may not vote on this poll
  • Colnago C59

130 59.63%
  • Pinarello Dogma 2

88 40.37%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

Pinarello Dogma 2 or Colnago C59

Hi All,

It's time to replace my 2004 Serotta Ottrott. That frame could probably last me another 10 years but I want something lighter and stiffer. I've always wanted an Italian frame and I am deciding between the Pinarello Dogma 2 or the Colnago C59.

I like the Pinarello because I think it's a great looking bike and I dig the lines on it. Also, it's .17 Lbs lighter than the C59 which means I'll get my fat arse up the climbs .0004 seconds faster (Very Important.) I'd go with BOB paint.

I like the C59 because I have wanted a Colnago since I started racing in high school many moons ago. I think it's really cool to keep the traditional lugged frame and use modern materials. I also like that the whole frame is made in Italy and not just painted there. Also, I liked seeing the bike in this year's TDF and watching Voelkler in yellow for 10 days on it. I'd go with the 2012 Nero paint.

Either way I can't go wrong. They both feel great and I'll be stoked whichever way I go. I'm hoping some of you have some advice on why I should go one way or the other.

The rest of the kit is already on my Ottrott. SR11, Enve Smart 3.4 Tubular Wheels, Enve Carbon Bars & Stem, Fizik Antares. And of course my Garmin Edge 500 so I can see how fast(I mean slow) I get up the climbs.

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I've never been a fan of the odd curvy stays/fork on Pinarello but recently, perhaps it's grown on me because I'm intrigued by the Dogma and the Dogma 2. Nice looking bikes.

That said, I'd probably still go for the C59. Ride comparisons aside (because I've not ridden either), the C59 has a more traditional look that appeals to me.

So, C59 in traditional geometry for me.

Special guest
    I'm curious as to whether the lugs on the Colnago are actually a separate piece, or is it just molded to look like a lug. Either construction method seems like an odd choice to me.
    And the curvy lines on the Pinarello don't appeal to me, but I know plenty of people that love the ride.

banned
    Apr 2010
    The Dogma 2 is not a lightweight frame by any means. Frame is around 1220 grams or so.
    However, it is a very nice ride and a superb descender. I had the pleasure to ride it in the Gran Fondo Pinarello and was very pleased with it, especially during the descents of the Grappa.

I have owned a Prince carbon as well. The difference between the two probably requires are more refined sensory ability than mine, but I would stay that I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the Dogma 2 other than it is ridiculously overpriced. Compared to my Prince, maybe it is a bit more comfortable, but not a huge difference in comfort.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogrover View Post
    I'm curious as to whether the lugs on the Colnago are actually a separate piece, or is it just molded to look like a lug. Either construction method seems like an odd choice to me.
    And the curvy lines on the Pinarello don't appeal to me, but I know plenty of people that love the ride.
    The C59 is made from lugs and tubes. See this article for pictures of them being built.

FEATURES: BEING THERE: THE COLNAGO FACTORY TOUR

Special guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vettracer View Post
    The C59 is made from lugs and tubes. See this article for pictures of them being built.

FEATURES: BEING THERE: THE COLNAGO FACTORY TOUR
    Cool, thanks!
    Now I understand why its done that way, but I would rather have a carbon frame without the lugs. (unless I was getting a custom geometry made for me) Its definitely old fashioned.

I would choose a poll selection of "other"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    If you're willing to pay that much for an Italian frame, I would suggest getting the one that is actually made in Italy.
    Personally I've never liked the wavy look of the Dogma. I've always thought the C59 geometry was a bit too conservative, but it's growing on me more and more. Plus you're talking about a carbon lugged bike, which is at least as original as a wavy fork.

Mehpic
    the lugs are carbon and the main tubes are basically glued in. there's a thing on youtube on how they made the EPS and it's the same method.

Chapter Two: The full creation of an EPS frame - YouTube

the C59 is a great bike if you want to feel every piece of grit in the road. i've gotten to ride two of them. i'll take a cx1 instead.
    catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010

Custom Carbon--for real

My next was going to be a Dogma 2 but I'm thinking about this now:

Sarto Cycles - Handmade custom frames for Triathlon, Road and TT made in Italy :: Forte - handmade custom frame made in Italy Sarto Cycles

Custom geometry in 30 days!
    Cheaper than the Pinarello or Colnago and tailored exactly to your needs, weight, comfort.
    I think these are the guys that make Cipollini frames, and they are very nice.
    Delivery is probably quicker too.
    Last edited by Cinelli 82220; 08-27-2011 at 04:06 PM.

classiquesklassieker
    Cool, thanks!
    Now I understand why its done that way, but I would rather have a carbon frame without the lugs. (unless I was getting a custom geometry made for me) Its definitely old fashioned.

I would choose a poll selection of "other"
    If you want custom carbon but don't want lugs, there are options out there including Cyfac's tube-to-tube construction.

Formosan Cyclocross
    I think the Dogma looks like "aggression" the Colnago looks "classy"... for carbon bikes. Both of the bikes look "different" in a time when so many CF bikes are beginning to look the same.

My LBS sells both, so I have had some experience with the DOGMA and the C59 Italia LE.

You really need to think about who you really are and how you really ride and not how you dream of riding.

With both bikes I am pleased to see the companies pulling back from the "lightness" trend in exchange for a better, more durable bike. Both bikes have massive head tubes. and similar geometries. I am a little surprised that the Dogma2 has such a slack HTA. Colnago does not like to list theirs. They both have very small rear triangles. The Dogma has a shorter TT and the C59 is a bit long for a good, stable line.

For me, I would go for the C59. The tubes are smaller (much less CF) and Colnago changes tube lengths as the geometry changes, which Pinarello doesn't do so much of. For Pinarello a CS length of 406mm is fine for most people with an adjustment to 408mm for taller people. Colnago changes the CS length for each size from a 397mm to 413mm. This tells me the Colnago might be more fine tuned.

Funny, after looking at these two geometries they surprisingly line up very well (almost exactly) with my custom titanium race bike, which was actually a little cheaper than either of these two bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Ten minutes after unpacking the Dogma I forgot about the curves. People get used to anything I guess.

Formosan Cyclocross
    Personally, I don't mind the looks. Maybe when it first came out I was surprised, but at least they own the mould. It looks like a "mean" bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I voted based only on looks, and voted for the Dogma. If it was any other colour and not BoB, I would have voted for the C59, but I love the stealth Dogma's.

However in terms of a rational decision, I'd probably go with the one that fits your style best, and the one with the best functionality (as you decide). Also, does Pinarello have only a 2 year frame warranty on Dogma 2's? If so, that might be another factor, as expensive imports don't come cheap.

Anyway good luck with your decision

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Register on the Pinarello site and you get a three year warranty.
    I bought it with a Visa card that adds a year to most warranties, so it is effectively four years.
    By then I will probably want something new anyway.

banned
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    Register on the Pinarello site and you get a three year warranty.
    I bought it with a Visa card that adds a year to most warranties, so it is effectively four years.
    By then I will probably want something new anyway.
    The warranties of both companies are disgracefully poor, especially considering the cost.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    I'm not sure about that. Three or four years is a long time for a manufacturing defect to remain latent.
    There is a bathtub curve for product failure. Most products with an inherent manufacturing defect will fail soon after they start being used. This is well documented. Then the curve bottoms out and rises again at the end of the product's life cycle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Go with the pinarello dogma I mean you can't go wrong with it it evenly keeps your pedaling on both feet by changing up the back of the frame that's what I read anyways

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Pinarello looks more beautiful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    the best part about both these bikes is that they offer many sizes, so you should be able to get a frame that fits. most manufacturers now do the S,M,L,XL route to save costs, which is just plain greedy based on the mark up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I know these are not the exact bikes, but I just switched from a C40 to a Dogma. I am very happy with my decision. The Dogma is significantly stiffer and yet more comfortable. I initially did not care for the looks of the Dogma, but know I find it a beautifully aggressive looking bike. Ride both if you can and decide which fells best to you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JWALK View Post
    I know these are not the exact bikes, but I just switched from a C40 to a Dogma. I am very happy with my decision. The Dogma is significantly stiffer and yet more comfortable. I initially did not care for the looks of the Dogma, but know I find it a beautifully aggressive looking bike. Ride both if you can and decide which fells best to you.
    I have been trying to determine if I want to move up to the C59 but when I asked the LBS that carries Colnago if they had a C59 to test, all they did was chuckle. They are very hard to find. Maybe some shops have them but in Central Florida there are none.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    If you live in San Francisco you should drive down to Velo Tech Cycles in Palo Alto, which carries both and, I believe, has a couple of demo bikes. It is a small shop that basically specializes in C59s and Dogmas.

Just Plain Bitter
    I am not a fan of the squiggly lines of the Pinarello. I voted C59 becuas eof the classic looks and geometry. 2cflyr is absolutely correct about the ride though! you will feel every little piece of the road with the Colnago!
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joep721 View Post
    Maybe some shops have them but in Central Florida there are none.
    where in c. fla? check Brick City cyclery in Ocala. I was there last summer and they had quite a colnago collection.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast