pinarello opera resale value
    cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member

pinarello opera resale value

What is the value of a used 2000 pinarello opera frame and fork? does the frame have any unique markings other than the name on the top tube? were they all made from Deda EOM 16.5 steel? does anyone know the history of this model? thanks for any information.
    cmg

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg
    What is the value of a used 2000 pinarello opera frame and fork? does the frame have any unique markings other than the name on the top tube? were they all made from Deda EOM 16.5 steel? does anyone know the history of this model? thanks for any information.
    cmg
    I have a 2000 PO with about 5000 miles on it. Recently, I've been entertaining the notion of stripping it down and seeing if I could sell it to someone who'd treat it kindly. I was figuring somewhere in the $500 to $700 range for frame/fork/headset. Mine is in showroom condition - no more than the occasional chip here and there. Not sure I will come anywhere near that cost, but judging from how new frames and old frames do on eBay, I think that's the right ballpark.

The frame has nothing unusual in the way of markings other than the branding, the model name and a couple of pinarello.com stickers here and there. There may be a tubing type sticker on the seat tube. The 2000 model came before Pinarello's shift to the wavy fork and stays, so this one has straight carbon stays and a regular fork. Mine is the silver/black fade which was the common version sold in the US.

They were and continue to be built in EOM16.5 (as far as I know.) I think 2000 was the first year it reached the US, I received mine in April 2001 after a several month wait. It's a nice steel bike - not as smooth as some but pretty quick and stiff in the rear.

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member

opera

Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    I have a 2000 PO with about 5000 miles on it. Recently, I've been entertaining the notion of stripping it down and seeing if I could sell it to someone who'd treat it kindly. I was figuring somewhere in the $500 to $700 range for frame/fork/headset. Mine is in showroom condition - no more than the occasional chip here and there. Not sure I will come anywhere near that cost, but judging from how new frames and old frames do on eBay, I think that's the right ballpark.

The frame has nothing unusual in the way of markings other than the branding, the model name and a couple of pinarello.com stickers here and there. There may be a tubing type sticker on the seat tube. The 2000 model came before Pinarello's shift to the wavy fork and stays, so this one has straight carbon stays and a regular fork. Mine is the silver/black fade which was the common version sold in the US.

They were and continue to be built in EOM16.5 (as far as I know.) I think 2000 was the first year it reached the US, I received mine in April 2001 after a several month wait. It's a nice steel bike - not as smooth as some but pretty quick and stiff in the rear.
    How much was it worth when it was new? what other bikes would you compare this too?

eminence grease
    How much was it worth when it was new? what other bikes would you compare this too?
    Pretty sure the frame was in the $1800 to $2200 range when new. It came from an internet dealer with Chorus and Nucleons and cost me about $4000.

I guess it compares to the Bianchi Boron XL (I also have one of those, EOM16.5 steel too) as well as the Fondriest Status Carb and a couple of other italian steel (non-lugged) bikes. I also have a custom done in Ultra Foco, and its ride is pretty similar.

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member

comparing bikes

Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    Pretty sure the frame was in the $1800 to $2200 range when new. It came from an internet dealer with Chorus and Nucleons and cost me about $4000.

I guess it compares to the Bianchi Boron XL (I also have one of those, EOM16.5 steel too) as well as the Fondriest Status Carb and a couple of other italian steel (non-lugged) bikes. I also have a custom done in Ultra Foco, and its ride is pretty similar.
    thanks for the info. the one i'm looking at is going for around $750 or so. I have a colnago mxl and a MIX . the mxl is really smooth and the mix a climber and stiff. i was hoping the opera was closer to the mxl. i'll have to reasearch it some more, but it does seem like a good deal.

eminence grease
    thanks for the info. the one i'm looking at is going for around $750 or so. I have a colnago mxl and a MIX . the mxl is really smooth and the mix a climber and stiff. i was hoping the opera was closer to the mxl. i'll have to reasearch it some more, but it does seem like a good deal.
    I too have a MxL. Comparing the two - the Opera "feels" quicker, although I'm not any faster on it. Both are comparable in terms of offering a smooth steel ride. The only difference being - I'd never consider parting out my MxL where I would consider it with the Opera.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I bought a complete Opera from RBR classifieds about 18 months ago. It is a 2001 model, with full DA, open pro wheels, Deda Newton bars on ITM stem, synchros ti post. The condition at purchase was very good - about 2500 miles. I paid $1600 with shipping included. I think that was a pretty good deal. It sure beat a used Lemond for the same price. The previous owner had some difficulty selling the bike - not because of condition, but because it is a relatively small size (52 cm).

I would think that $500 - $700 is a fair price for a frame with about 5000 miles (and in good condition) - especially for someone with a Campy group laying around the garage.

Competitive Cyclist now wants $3000 for the 2005 frame! - sure, it has the squiggly fork and stays, but that's a lot more money than a Vanilla or a Kirk.

E-Bay is a nice way to test the waters. List the frame with a reserve of $800 (or some other number you'd be happy to get) and see what happens.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

I have an '02

cmg
    The only change were the grahics. OPERA is in larger letters on the TT. Awsome bike as far as I am concerned. Pinarello keeps making and "improving" it so it must be selling pretty well. The 02 has the 1 HS and 27.2 seatpost. The '03 went to te 1 1/8 HS as is the '04 which added Prince size carbon seat stays and consequently a 31.? seat post size. The '05 has the Onda stays and fork.

I bought mine from GVH in '02 for my 40th B-day. Paid about $3500 with Record 10 and Neutrons. The used market is awesome, considering that the new ones are MSRP $3000 for frame/fork only. The Opera was a favorite of RussW19 (R.I.P.)!

Peace!