Pinarello Opera VS. DeRosa Planet
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003

Question Pinarello Opera VS. DeRosa Planet

I have been looking for a frame that is light yet as some comfort. I am a recreational rider that averages about 75-100 miles per week. I want to start to get more involved in group rides and maybe a century or two. I have a steel bike (Bianchi Mega Pro st) that I like but the size is a little too compact, thus the reason for the new ride. I have narrowed down the decision based on reviews with the difference being steel for the Pinarello and aluminum for the DeRosa. Both frames have simuler geometry, so it's mainly a question of performance. I was also considering a carbon bike like the Bianchi XL, but there is not much unbias info on that bike. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

Coco Puff
    Quote Originally Posted by Tris
    I have been looking for a frame that is light yet as some comfort. I am a recreational rider that averages about 75-100 miles per week. I want to start to get more involved in group rides and maybe a century or two. I have a steel bike (Bianchi Mega Pro st) that I like but the size is a little too compact, thus the reason for the new ride. I have narrowed down the decision based on reviews with the difference being steel for the Pinarello and aluminum for the DeRosa. Both frames have simuler geometry, so it's mainly a question of performance. I was also considering a carbon bike like the Bianchi XL, but there is not much unbias info on that bike. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks
    fwiw- I always lusted for the Opera. Cool bike.

Not Banned

if you like the feel of steel

get the opera. I have a friend w/ both a Pin Prince and Opera and he prefers the Opera overall. Prince he says is only better in the sprints.

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    get the opera. I have a friend w/ both a Pin Prince and Opera and he prefers the Opera overall. Prince he says is only better in the sprints.

Go with Pin. I have 2 teamates who absolutely love theirs. I have another teamate with a derosa and he wanted to trade it for a trek. we had an intervention and changed his mind quickly. i don't know what he was thinking. he must have had a case of the BONK

Oct 2004

opera is the real deal

You can't compare the planet to the ride of hte opera. What year is the opera? does it have a carbon rear?

Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by skian
    You can't compare the planet to the ride of hte opera. What year is the opera? does it have a carbon rear?
    All Pinarello Operas have a carbon rear end. They are all Deda EOM 16.5 steel tubing with carbon stays. The only change they have made to it since it's inception in 2000 is that it now comes with the Onda curved stays instead of straight carbon stays.

Oct 2004
    The addition of the new onda stay's will make this bike handle way better but have the comfort and longevity of a great steel ride. Has any one seen this new bike does it have the same tube set as before?
    Last edited by skian; 11-06-2004 at 10:40 AM.

Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by russw19
    All Pinarello Operas have a carbon rear end. They are all Deda EOM 16.5 steel tubing with carbon stays. The only change they have made to it since it's inception in 2000 is that it now comes with the Onda curved stays instead of straight carbon stays.
    the first operas had 1in headets. second gen 11/8 plus larger diameter tubing somewhere. 3rd gen is internal headset..
    www.flaviocolker.com.br
    i am in love w/a black woman.

Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    the first operas had 1in headets. second gen 11/8 plus larger diameter tubing somewhere. 3rd gen is internal headset..

Yep! If there's a guy I would trust for Pinarello info it's Flavio!

Thanks for the correction.

Russ

AJS
    banned
    "Pinarello Opera VS. DeRosa Planet"

Neither. Just get a Pegoretti and be happy. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I bought a Pinarello Opera on the RBR classifieds about 18 months ago. I haven't ridden the DeRosa for comparison, but I can tell you that the Opera is a sweet ride. It's light and stiff, but incredibly smooth. It also has a bit of a "wow" factor - most everywhere I go, it gets compliments.

The only disadvantage is the price - if you are buying new. At a list price of $2500 there are lots of alternatives in hand made steel frames. Sacha White (Vanilla Bicycles) makes some of the most gorgeous frames I've seen - and for $2500 you could have lots of options.

Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by russw19
    Yep! If there's a guy I would trust for Pinarello info it's Flavio!

Thanks for the correction.

Russ
    thanks russ but... naaaahh, i'm know peanuts of fine italian road bikes. i learn from you all the time! but there's a big pinarello shop here in town and i lurk there whenever i can('t), even if the owner is an absolute pr%$#
    www.flaviocolker.com.br
    i am in love w/a black woman.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

did you get the opera?

I have an opera and the boron XL bianchi. to me the ride is great on both, the opera is a bit lighter, but that is likely because it is a record bike, wheras my bianchi is chorus (both are ebay bikes). I will sell one this spring, but have not figured it out yet.
    I also have a moser tk1, which is comfy as well. it was my first steel and first road bike in years (was on a tri bike and erred on sizing), and bought it a size too small, so will be selling it as well.
    was curious what you decided.
    jim

merckxman
    Jan 2002

Opera Welds

The main reason I didn't buy a Pinarello Opera two years was that the TIG welding was a bit sloppy and that turned me off. That may have been that particular bike but other than that it was sure sweet.