Please help Identify old trek bike
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2020

Please help Identify old trek bike

Hey! new member here, well title says it all. I was givin an old Trek bike from family friend, i cant figure out the S/N. S/N is "N5E8613." i tried following instructions on Vintagetrek.com i still cant figure out!
    Please help!

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveridesoldtrek View Post
    Hey! new member here, well title says it all. I was givin an old Trek bike from family friend, i cant figure out the S/N. S/N is "N5E8613." i tried following instructions on Vintagetrek.com i still cant figure out!
    Please help!
    Post some pics, that'd help.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

There are over 6.2 million covid cases in the United States (as of September 6th), eight months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Trek serial numbers have been "WTUXXXxxXXXXx" for a loooooooong time. You're definitely gonna have to post photos.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveridesoldtrek View Post
    Please help!
    Vintage-trek's guide would list that as being a 610/613/614 size 25.5" built May 1978.

I would suggest checking the old catalogs there too. Or drop a photo here.

Trek, Fisher, Klein, Lemond bike catalogs, bicycle brochures

EDIT. Just saw the reddit post and the photos you shared. Looks like that serialization is correct.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TrekBikes/c...odel_and_year/
    Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2020
    Wow! Thanks! I was thinking 82

Russian Troll Farmer
    I own a 710 from 1978 in the next size smaller (yours is a very large frame, suitable only for people about 6'3" or taller..). I notice that yours has the 531 'horizontal" sticker, which means it uses Reynolds 531 butted tubes on the main triangle, as opposed to the "diagonal" sticker, which means butted tubes in the stays and fork as well. The frame is hand-made and silver-brazed. These frames are quite collectible.

Since a lot of these frames were sold as framesets and were built independently, the components used are important to consider the value of this bike. It seems to be all period components, which, depending on the condition, might raise the value considerably. Please post some closeups of the crankset, derailleurs, hubs, etc.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2020
    Alrighty, I posted some more pics on reddit, link is above, thanks for helping out!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I own a 710 from 1978 in the next size smaller (yours is a very large frame, suitable only for people about 6'3" or taller..). I notice that yours has the 531 'horizontal" sticker, which means it uses Reynolds 531 butted tubes on the main triangle, as opposed to the "diagonal" sticker, which means butted tubes in the stays and fork as well. The frame is hand-made and silver-brazed. These frames are quite collectible.

Since a lot of these frames were sold as framesets and were built independently, the components used are important to consider the value of this bike. It seems to be all period components, which, depending on the condition, might raise the value considerably. Please post some closeups of the crankset, derailleurs, hubs, etc.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/TrekBikes/c...m_source=share

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2020
    alrite! updated and added some pics, i dont know what im going to do with it, im 5'7, way to short for this guy! haha
    https://www.reddit.com/r/TrekBikes/c...m_medium=web2x

Russian Troll Farmer
    What you have is a mid-priced model from what was at the time a high-end brand. The Suntour group was a decent mid-priced groupset, but nothing terribly valuable. As it sits, it could be worth about $400 for somebody tall enough to actually fit this frame; somebody with about a 36" inseam!

These frames are also quite spreadable, so if somebody wants to resto-mod it for modern components, that is also quite possible. I've done that with my 710 (which is a higher-end frame), where I have 8-sp components from the mid-late 80's fitted. My frame is the next size smaller, and I used to find the reach down to the downtube shifters to be extreme. Whoever ends up riding this thing as it sits will also need long arms!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2020
    how much do you think its worth, or trade in value? def too big for my 5'7 frame. Not sure where to start on pricing?