PressFit Bottom Bracket Issues
    TheSnide
    Aug 2012

PressFit Bottom Bracket Issues

I have a PressFit BB that I'm having issues with. Here's some background. I have about 3000 miles on the bike and bought it brand new. I do check bolts and bearings regularly and even keep a maintenance log. There have been zero issues with this bike, and the Di2 makes it almost maintenance free. Early last week I was riding and noticed something come loose. It felt like the rear hub at first but I quickly noticed it was the BB. It's at the shop now and the non-drive side BB / shell interface has like 2mm or more of slop in it. I don't think it can be fixed without replacing the frame.

Has anyone else had problems with pressfit BB on Scott or other brands?
    Last edited by snidemcbride; 05-23-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Not a Scott, but I've had enough problems with pressfit BB's that I've gone back to threaded.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree with JoelS ... the only BB that I've ever had major issues with is the "Press Fit" BB's.

I have standard threaded, BB30's and Press Fit BB30 ... the Press Fit is a pain, creaky and is all around a horrible design. I'm sure somebody will try and defend it, but the reality is compared to other designs it's an inferior design ... but does allow a little more flexibility.

When you get it back ... You can try the Praxis adapters, which appear to provide a tighter fit and possibly less problems down the road.
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

TheSnide
    Aug 2012
    Thanks Wookie! Looking up the Praxis adapters now. Hope also has a threaded press fit that looks like it would solve some of the issues. I'm honestly thinking about going back to a high quality steel or ti frame. Something like a Serotta, or a custom builder. I can't go back to mechanical after Di2 so really that's the only thing stopping me right now. If Scott does replace the frame and can see selling it and getting something metal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Keep in mind that with Di2, wiring is normally passing through the BB area, and there needs to be space for the wiring and a shield between the spindle and shell/adapter.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM