Ribble's Audax/Winter 525 Frame
    User is infamous around

Ribble's Audax/Winter 525 Frame

Looking at building up this frame for general cycling and commute,
    Ribble Winter/Audax 525 Frame, Frames, FRAMES AUDAX / WINTER .
    While I've read on the forums that a few folks have this frame, there's not many details handy.

1) How large a tire can the frame handle? I'll need 25mm minimum, 28mm would be better as I am large (240# but dropping). I'm not worried about fender clearance as I avoid foul weather riding (plus we get little rain in S.E. Az).

2) What is the outer diameter of the seat tube? It appears from photos on Ribble that it requires clamp on bracket for the front derailleur.

3) Can anyone confirm this frame has 68mm BSA BB shell?

4) Ribble spec's a 1 1/8" hidden headset on their in-house build, but does anyone know if a 'normal' external 1 1/8" headset would work as well? Their house brand headset is good price but buying options are always a good thing.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    I have the aluminum version of the Winter/Audax frame. While the geometry of the aluminum and steel version of the frame are identical, the build details may not be.

Grains of salt and YMMV apply.

With the Dedacciai Black Rain fork and Shimano BR-R650 brakes (F&R) I can run 28mm Conti GrandPrix 4-Seasons on Velocity A23 rims in the front under SKS P-35 fenders. They fit comfortably. Bear in mind GP 4-Seasons allegedly run small. I don't own a micrometer, and I'm not certain I'm anal enough to mic my tires, so I'm going just by the size as sold.

In the back, however, only 23mm GP 4-Seasons fit under a P-35 without extraordinary measures.

To fit a 25mm GP 4-Seasons in the back, I didn't use the fender's supplied brake bridge hardware. Instead, I drilled four holes in the fender and snugged it up tight with zip ties. Then the 25 fits, just barely.

I really want a 28 in back so that I only have to stock one tire for both my commuters. I bought, but have not yet installed, Reacharounds Fender Brackets. The idea is that you cut the fender so it doesn't have to pass under the brake, and suspend it with the brackets (which attach through the brake mounting bolt), thereby freeing space for more tire under the brake. One of these days when we get crappy weather on a weekend I'll mess with it.

FD: My aluminum Winter/Audax came with a bolt-on bracket to use a braze-on FD. Seems weird, but it works well enough. But, from what I can tell from the pic of the 525 version, it looks like a regular band clamp. Email the folks at Ribble. I had questions and heard back within hours.

BB: Mine is a standard English (68mm) BB shell. It came faced and chased, ready to build.

Headset: The head tube is sized to take an integrated headset. A regular one won't seat right. I used the Cane Creek.

Overall: With the Deda fork, the bike rides really well. With the A23 wheels and fat Conti tires, the ride rivals my Litespeed Classic. Its handling is slightly "low trail", meaning it tends to right itself in corners. I have to hold it down a bit in hard cornering. OTOH, this is exactly the behavior desired in an Audax/Brevet/Randonee bike where the typical rider uses a handlebar bag. The low trail self-righting compensates for the extra weight on the bars. I got used to it pretty quickly. It doesn't bother me at all when switching between the Ribble my other bikes. It's just a little different, and sometimes fun.
    Last edited by brucew; 10-03-2013 at 07:02 PM.

User is infamous around
    Thanks for the info. Like I said I'm not concerned about the fenders, I don't use them generally. The headset was the biggest concern I think. I'm surprised you're using the 36x45, since in the bike builder they spec the 45x45 on the in-house build. Any reason for the change? Either way, their prices for headsets are very good, so I'm not worried.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    I'm surprised you're using the 36x45, since in the bike builder they spec the 45x45 on the in-house build
    Linking error. Sorry.

User is infamous around
    No worries.