RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009

Ridley Fenix SL frameset

I built my bike with exactly the components, parts, and wheels I want and I was very happy with it for several years but then I broke a dropout on my low-end carbon frame -- not worth trying to fix. So I want a new frameset. I don't want to change anything else. I'm leaning towards a new last-year's, 2017, Ridley Fenix SL frameset. It's available for a good price right now. Does anyone have experience, knowledge, or thoughts about this frameset.

I'm a 16 - 17mph average, old distance/endurance cyclist, not a racer. I'm on the heavy side, 215 Ibs in season and closer to 225 in the dead of winter. The roads are rough where I live. I want strength and reliability but with as much performance as possible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_T View Post
    I built my bike with exactly the components, parts, and wheels I want and I was very happy with it for several years but then I broke a dropout on my low-end carbon frame -- not worth trying to fix. So I want a new frameset. I don't want to change anything else. I'm leaning towards a new last-year's, 2017, Ridley Fenix SL frameset. It's available for a good price right now. Does anyone have experience, knowledge, or thoughts about this frameset.

I'm a 16 - 17mph average, old distance/endurance cyclist, not a racer. I'm on the heavy side, 215 Ibs in season and closer to 225 in the dead of winter. The roads are rough where I live. I want strength and reliability but with as much performance as possible.
    From the competitive cyclist listing for that frame set:
    Please note that Ridley recommends a maximum rider weight of 209.5lb (95kg) for the Fenix SL.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Whatever you get chose something that will fit, at least, 32mm tires. Comfort, and all the performance that you'll need.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Why not get a custom built frame based on the geometry you had on the old bike? Steel or Ti, at your weight, (mine too), the weight penalty is no matter and they have a lifetime guarantee. Sorry can't help you on the Ridley.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Glad for that info. Thanks, fronesis!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks, kiwisimon. Not sure I can afford custom but I was also giving thought to trying one of the Lynskey Ti framesets.