Rigid MTB with road handlebar as a gravel bike? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 32 of 32
  1. #26
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,398
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Are you sure 3.0 is slower than 2.0? First of all, I didn't say 2.0. Secondly, you'd disagreeng with 202Cycle.
    And your point? I'm not taking sides other than to dispel misleading information.

    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    And thirdly, I'm just merely writing what the likes of Trek and Giant have done, you know, people who actually make bikes and have a vested interest in seeing their brand win races.
    Bikes don't win races, cyclists win races. And while a 0.2 inch difference may possible make a difference of a few seconds in a tight race by pros, I really doubt average riders can even tell a difference given everything else about the 2.2 and 2.4 tire are exactly the same. As 202cycle implied, it is unlikely that the only reason your riding buddies can't keep up with you is because of tire width. Tire compound, sidewalls and bike frame weight all come into play. To say that a 2.2 tire makes for a swift machine and putting a 2.4 will make that same bike a waddling pig would be silly.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  2. #27
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    28,565
    Might as well argue about XC racing tires....the OP topic was dumb anyway.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  3. #28
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,405
    What? I rode my FS MonsterCross today and got 7 trophies! Dumb? hump!
    BANNED

  4. #29
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: smokva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    647
    Just one short observation, turning mtb bike to road handlebars is very bad idea because geometry between road and mtb is very different. Mtb frames have reach longer for about 10 cm, so it makes this idea practically impossible.
    Bike that was posted by op is not really mtb, because it doesn't have mtb geometry. Its just gravel made to look like mtb.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Ante Smokrovic

    2009 De Rosa Neo Pro - Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, Sella, Gardena, Campalongo, Falzarego, Valparola, San Pellegrino, Valles, Staulanza, Vršič, Mangart, Furcia...

    2003 De Rosa Team - Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo, Bonette, Agnel, Izoard, Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, San Pellegrino, Staulanza, Manghen, Vršič, Učka, Mangart, Biokovo, Eisentalhöhe, Schonfeld, Schiestelscharte, Flattnitz...

  5. #30
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,398
    Quote Originally Posted by smokva View Post
    Just one short observation, turning mtb bike to road handlebars is very bad idea because geometry between road and mtb is very different. Mtb frames have reach longer for about 10 cm, so it makes this idea practically impossible.
    While I agree with you that I wouldn't want a long reach, some riders might.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  6. #31
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    28,565
    Quote Originally Posted by smokva View Post
    Just one short observation, turning mtb bike to road handlebars is very bad idea because geometry between road and mtb is very different. Mtb frames have reach longer for about 10 cm, so it makes this idea practically impossible.
    Bike that was posted by op is not really mtb, because it doesn't have mtb geometry. Its just gravel made to look like mtb.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    So

    1st, In the first sentence you say doing this is a bad idea

    2nd, You say it is impossible

    3rd, You say they aren't even doing it in the first place

    4th, you speak about MTB geometry as if it is a static and well-defined thing in the first place.


    I'd suggest taking this post back to the drawing board and get your story straight.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  7. #32
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: davesupra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    They've been things for years. "Monstercross" builds were things in the DIY space since 26" MTBs were things. That being said now they have some retail presence....some are less garish than others. One of my riding mates has a Salsa Fargo Ti setup for dropbars with 3" 650B tires. Thing it the perfect tank for pea-gravel roads and trails we have up here.
    Bingo. I've had a Salsa Fargo for years, which Salsa calls their "drop bar mountain bike" and it makes a great gravel bike. It has room for 2.35's but I run 1.8's on it with the type of gravel common around here. Heck, I've put saddle bags on it and used it to tour across the state of Minnesota.
    Liars often accuse you of lying. - Steve Maraboli
    The word of the week = racist.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Gravel Bike wheel q: Stan's ArchEX on gravel bike
    By stuarttx in forum Gravel Bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-23-2017, 06:53 PM
  2. Tires for rigid mtb/cx use.
    By kbiker3111 in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-28-2011, 10:01 AM
  3. Better commuter...rigid mtb or road bike
    By shades9323 in forum Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-19-2007, 07:51 AM
  4. Converting rigid steelie MTB to Road Bike...
    By MacTech in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 06:42 AM
  5. Converting rigid steelie MTB to Road Bike...
    By MacTech in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-05-2005, 08:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.