Which road bike is equivalent to a Turner?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which road bike is equivalent to a Turner?

My friend just got a roadbike...he is already acting different and stuffier to be honest. He used to be a hardcore mountain biker but now that his wife bought him a roadbike I doubt he will see much dirt.

I figure if you cant beat em, join em. He says specialized are the best and are probably the equivalent to Turners from the mountain bike world. If you dont know, Turners are like no other mountain bike made so its a tall order to expect Specialized road bikes to be at that level. is he right?

chur
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 07-11-2008 at 08:34 AM.

Oct 2007
    Well Turners are hand CRAFTED in the US

ALL Specialized Road bikes (like their Mountain Bikes) are made in Taiwan and China

Specialized are good bikes, no question there...but hardly a good comparison to a hand crafted US made product.
    Free Cascadia!

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. -H.G. Wells

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    your friend sounds like a real tightwad.

The road bike equivalent of a Turner is a Specialized.

Back from the dead
    I think I would enjoy the fact that this blowhard was off the dirt, and do a lot more mountain biking as a result.

Number 2 on the course.
    Specialized road bikes are the equivalent of Specialized mountain bikes from the mountain bike world. That can mean many things, depending on your view of Specialized, but IMO netheir their road or mountain bikes are the "best" by a long shot. Hard to imagine a Turner fan seriously entertaining such a notion --

I can't think of any analogs to Turner in the road bike world. Maybe Cannondale, to the extent that they still make aluminum frames in the US and charge a slight premium for that distinction.

Spicy Dumpling
    Which car is equivalent to a rhesus monkey?

This is off the scale on the apples/oranges/beets scale of comparison. There is no way to even answer such a question IMHO. Check out bikes and find what fits you and your budget.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    Specialized road bikes are the equivalent of Specialized mountain bikes from the mountain bike world. That can mean many things, depending on your view of Specialized, but IMO netheir their road or mountain bikes are the "best" by a long shot. Hard to imagine a Turner fan seriously entertaining such a notion --

I can't think of any analogs to Turner in the road bike world. Maybe Cannondale, to the extent that they still make aluminum frames in the US and charge a slight premium for that distinction.

Wasn't the stage winner of yesterday's TDF on a Specialized?

Must be the best.....

As far as their MTBs.....the Enduro S-works is a 28lb 6" travel bike. Nothing else comes close.

chur

Banned forever.....or not
    "Which car is equivalent to a rhesus monkey?"

It would depend if it was a crap throwin' rhesus monkey. If it was, the car would be a small Honda.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Wasn't the stage winner of yesterday's TDF on a Specialized?

Must be the best.....

As far as their MTBs.....the Enduro S-works is a 28lb 6" travel bike. Nothing else comes close.

chur
    good point...i think Trek used to be the best but they dont seem to be on Tour winner's bikes anymore so my guess is that they are not as good nowadays

chur

your friend sounds like a real tightwad.

The road bike equivalent of a Turner is a Specialized.
    well...to clarify, he really not so much a friend as he is somebody who i talk to so i can feel better about my life (ie, he is a total douchebag with nothing going for him).

Number 2 on the course.
    Did you read that on the Specialized web site? $7700 MSRP? ROFLMAO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    don't be a hater just because you can't afford it. Ferraris are expensive too

chur

thats not so bad...and i bet you could get a dealer down to the low $7000 range in which case its a killer deal

there are really no other mountain bikes that can be used for xc racing and big hits anyway so i would be happy to pay $7000 from what my friend tells me

my friend did say however that Ellsworth may be the only bike better than Turner; I currently have my eye on the new Ellsworth Ti Truth. Its offered complete for $10,000 but I am sure i could get it for about $9,000. With the ICT technology nothing can beat it!

As for roadbikes....i wonder if Ellsworth is something i should consider?

chur

chur
    he may be a hater buy you sound pretty friggin pretentious....you're like "Look at me..the big man on campus...i can afford whatever I want"

whatever dude...not everybody has a trust fund. Go snort some cocaine, b!tch

Number 2 on the course.

chur
    Catty fan-boys.

Catty fan-boys.
    chur...

Number 2 on the course.
    Tony Ellsworth knows road bikes for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    are they 110% efficient?

If so, that's what I want.

Spicy Dumpling
    Why did you have to bring TE into the fray? Oh boy....that's like talking motobecane at RBR...
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Spicy Dumpling
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    "Which car is equivalent to a rhesus monkey?"

It would depend if it was a crap throwin' rhesus monkey. If it was, the car would be a small Honda.
    You have this love for crap throwing monkeys don't ya! Crits and Hondas are both like crap throwing rhesus monkeys, therefore crits are like hondas. My head hurts...

I'm asking for it. Replying to a grumpy Smart Remark to one of my Smart Remarks. Off to the lounge with me!

Cheese is my copilot
    Its not the bikes Fo, its the riders. All roadies are the equivalent of Homers. Or maybe you should turn that around. ;)
    Life is better in the big ring.

http://theclemencyblog.blogspot.com/

Number 2 on the course.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA
    Why did you have to bring TE into the fray? Oh boy....that's like talking motobecane at RBR...
    I heard that Michael Ball's personal "De Rosa" was actually built by Tony Ellsworth and re-badged.

Not Banned

how does one equate

a small boutique company like Turner with a monolith like Specialized??

Turner's are owned by a morediscreet buyer

Specialized Road = Specialized MTB. great bikes,great technology, pricey,from a big mfr and you see heaps of them daily

Equivalentof a Turner in the road world would be a Pegoretti on a lesser note 3-D Racing

if you want the equivalent of a Turner in a road bike, a Pegoretti Love #3is your calling
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Last edited by doughboy_88; 11-25-2008 at 10:53 AM.

FTR
    Burn baby, burn.
    Fo
    Whatever you get should have some of those Ausgaylian Velocity wheels with the massive stickers and you should post lots of pics of you in lycra while riding them.
    Anyhoo it will not matter what you buy because you are worse than I am and will get upgradeitis within a matter of days and sell it for something else that is no better really but fulfills your deep seated need for baseless change.

Back to the topic and I reckon that Moots is the equivalent of Turner in the MTB world, but only because I have one ( a Moots that is). Moots owners certainly fulfill doughboy's comment about the Cult following although Moots and their followers prefer to call it a Congregation (must be true as it says so on the jersey they gave me).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast