Seven w/Dura Ace or Ultegra?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nov 2004

Seven w/Dura Ace or Ultegra?

Hi all,

I'm building up a brand new Seven Axiom with new componenets and I'm trying to decide if Dura Ace is worth the extra cost. The Dura Ace group is only 301 grams (less than 1/2 lb) less than the Ultegra group. But the cost is considerably more (~$800). Anybody know if the Dura Ace performs THAT much better? I don't race but I am a serious cyclist. But I'm thinking that the Ultegra group will suit me fine. Just to fill out the picture, I plan to put on an Easton EC90 SLX fork, Chris King Headset, Easton EC90 stem, seatpost, and handlebars, and Ksyrium SL wheels.

Thanks,
    Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK02048
    Hi all,

I'm building up a brand new Seven Axiom with new componenets and I'm trying to decide if Dura Ace is worth the extra cost. The Dura Ace group is only 301 grams (less than 1/2 lb) less than the Ultegra group. But the cost is considerably more (~$800). Anybody know if the Dura Ace performs THAT much better? I don't race but I am a serious cyclist. But I'm thinking that the Ultegra group will suit me fine. Just to fill out the picture, I plan to put on an Easton EC90 SLX fork, Chris King Headset, Easton EC90 stem, seatpost, and handlebars, and Ksyrium SL wheels.

Thanks,
    Mike
    IMO the DA 10 speed is worth it. Better fit parts, the bike setup as you discribed will be a joy for years to come. You went top shelf on everything else, the only question I would have is Campy or DA.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004

save your money

I disagree with the above poster. I recently had to make the same decision and chose the the Ultegra 10 and am amazed with it. I have not used the DA 10 but do use DA 9 on another bike and the Ultegra 10 beats it hands down. Simply put, I am very, very impressed with the new Ultegra stuff. BTW some claim that the ergonomics and shifting of the Ultegra 10 is beter than the DA 10. Like I said, I have not used the DA 10 but I can't immagine the ergonomics being any better than the Ultegra 10. It is especially comfortable if you like to ride high on the hoods. Anyway, I would make the same dicision again and save the money.

eminence grease
    If you're the type of person that can build a dream bike using second tier components, then Ultegra will do very well for you. I'm sure it will perform like a clock.

However, if you think you're going to lie awake at night and wish you'd just spent the money on DA, and if every time you look at the bike you think about upgrading it, then just spend the money now and get DA. Because, in the long run it will cost you more.

It took a long time for me to learn this lesson - several XT and one Ultegra bikes. I finally learned enough about myself to know I will never build another bike below Chorus or DA. Otherwise, I'll just sit there and wish I'd done it right the first time around.

(Yes, I know Chorus is second to Record, but in the days prior to carbon Chorus shifters, I actually preferred the alloy handles. Now, it doesn't matter.)

Think it over and buy the DA. You're buying a custom, top marque bike that deserves better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    "If you're the type of person that can build a dream bike using second tier components, then Ultegra will do very well for you. I'm sure it will perform like a clock."

Yowch, that's a stinger. Good advice though. I agree that if you're going to go top flight with the frame, you should with the group as well.

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanK-
    "If you're the type of person that can build a dream bike using second tier components, then Ultegra will do very well for you. I'm sure it will perform like a clock."

Yowch, that's a stinger. Good advice though. I agree that if you're going to go top flight with the frame, you should with the group as well.
    That was not intended to be a stinger. Most people are okay spending a reasonable amount of money on their bikes and sleeping comfortably. Some are not. Many are snobs - like me - who want to do the best as possible within budget. I second guess myself every time I don't buy the thing I want and choose to save money, just for the sake of saving it.

Now as far as Ultegra being second tier - it is. It's the second product in Shimano's lineup. Doesn't make it bad, just makes it second.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

How far do you want to take it?

Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    That was not intended to be a stinger. Most people are okay spending a reasonable amount of money on their bikes and sleeping comfortably. Some are not. Many are snobs - like me - who want to do the best as possible within budget. I second guess myself every time I don't buy the thing I want and choose to save money, just for the sake of saving it.

Now as far as Ultegra being second tier - it is. It's the second product in Shimano's lineup. Doesn't make it bad, just makes it second.
    Do you always have to have the best car, house, clothes, etc? Sounds like a good way to screw your finances up with little net satisfaction.

Jaybo

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Do you always have to have the best car, house, clothes, etc? Sounds like a good way to screw your finances up with little net satisfaction.

Jaybo
    I hardly have the best house - we live in a 35 year old adobe with big cracks in the walls. Car - 2000 Toyota. Clothes - mostly Lee jeans and Banana Republic polos.

But bikes? If I can't ride a custom frame with Chorus, I'm not going to bother riding. We throw our resources at the things we enjoy. For me it's bikes. My kids are both eating and college is paid for. Why not spend as much as is comfortable.

Banned forever.....or not

Would you wear $19 dress shoes with a $500 suit ??

First of all, how much does a Seven Axiom frame cost ? It looks like you're going to throw on some other high zoot components, so why go "cheap" on drive train components ?
    I won't even go into whether you "need" a frame like that or not. Lets just say that you "want" it. If this bike is going to be something "special", you might as well go all the way. Otherwise, you may begin to hate the bike after a short time.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

I actually agree with you. I'll never be able to afford the best of the best of many things, but I can afford and justify a nice bike because I use it a lot and my tastes in other things aren't that extreme.
    To me it just doesn't make sense to come within $600.00 of having the best and not get it. It probably represents another 20% or so investment up front, but it's better than losing the money invested in Ultegra if it starts bugging you later as it likely will.

eminence grease
    Exactamundo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Chorus? You cheapskate!

I hardly have the best house - we live in a 35 year old adobe with big cracks in the walls. Car - 2000 Toyota. Clothes - mostly Lee jeans and Banana Republic polos.

But bikes? If I can't ride a custom frame with Chorus, I'm not going to bother riding. We throw our resources at the things we enjoy. For me it's bikes. My kids are both eating and college is paid for. Why not spend as much as is comfortable.
    My gawd! How can you ride Campy's second best component group? Kidding. I hear you. Good points.

Jaybo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Doesn't bug me one bit...I love Ultegra.

Quote Originally Posted by IvanK-
    I actually agree with you. I'll never be able to afford the best of the best of many things, but I can afford and justify a nice bike because I use it a lot and my tastes in other things aren't that extreme.
    To me it just doesn't make sense to come within $600.00 of having the best and not get it. It probably represents another 20% or so investment up front, but it's better than losing the money invested in Ultegra if it starts bugging you later as it likely will.
    I love riding a lot more than I love high end component groups.

Jaybo

50ft. Queenie
    get 'r done

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Do you lust for flash components, or do you love to experience the ride? Some of us can afford both, many of us can't. Put Ultegra on the bike. Ultegra works well. 300g won't matter.

Take the 600 clams you "saved" and book a trip to the Tour de Georgia. Ride Brasstown Bald and Wolfpen Gap. Go cheer on the guys who get handed a bike every spring and are told to ride for their meal money. If you love to ride, go out and ride.

To be honest, I've never said to myself, "Whoa, my Centaur cogset is suh-weet! I am so glad I didn't get Veloce!" But I'll never forget riding the Col de Colombiere on a trip to the French Alps a couple of years ago.
    Riding to break the cycle of breast cancer in the Young Survival Coalition Tour de Pink--3 days, 200 miles.
    www.ysctourdepink.org

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Ultegra is not cheap. Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    First of all, how much does a Seven Axiom frame cost ? It looks like you're going to throw on some other high zoot components, so why go "cheap" on drive train components ?
    I won't even go into whether you "need" a frame like that or not. Lets just say that you "want" it. If this bike is going to be something "special", you might as well go all the way. Otherwise, you may begin to hate the bike after a short time.
    Excellent componentry! Roadies are such snobs.

Jaybo

Squirrel Hunter
    Feb 2003

If you have to ask...

...build a dream bike using second tier components...
    ...if you're going to go top flight with the frame, you should with the group as well...
    If you have to ask then get the DuraAce. Otherwise everytime you ride your bike you will still be asking yourself if you should have got DuraAce.

Of course you may find yourself also asking why didn't I consider Campagnolo (Chorus or Record).

Aug 2004

Ultegra Nice but ...

I have a bike with ultegra 10psd and I really like it. I have another with DA 10spd. If you aren't going to go broke spending the extra cash, I would go with the Dura Ace. The ergonomics of the brake/shifter levers is much nicer than the Ultegra. You're gonna be gripping them on a majority of the miles that you will be on that frame. Another benefit of the Dura Ace is the Shifting. The Dura Ace is a bit snappier on both rear and front shifts. Alot of the other differences are cosemetic. The lever ergonomics and the shifting response are enough for me to prefer the DA. Good Luck with your new bike. Either one is going to yeild a terrific ride.

Squalor
    Nov 2002

If you have to ask...

Get the Ultegra...

If you have to ask yourself the question it means the money for DA is going to be a stretch. The Ultegra will get you all of the function of the DA and you can spend the extra on a nice fixie.......THAT WILL ACTUALLY MAKE YOU FASTER!

BTW - I have a brand new IF with full Ultegra 9 (egats) and an IF steel fork...It's the motor not the bike!

I would hate to be a slave to my component selection like some of you guys. (hands shaking and eyes twitching)...Mumumumust hahahave newnewest andand bbbbbest...

LP

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Roadies are such snobs.

Jaybo
    I'm self-identified and guilty as charged.

eminence grease
    By that logic he should throw 105 on it and buy a fixie and a mountain bike.

Squalor
    Nov 2002
    By that logic he should throw 105 on it and buy a fixie and a mountain bike.
    Agreed - But he did not put 105 as a choice.

If he does not have a MTB...he really should get one (and make it an SS while your at it)...that will definately make him faster than ANY component upgrade would!

LP

Jan 2005

This is Easy...

"If" you can comfortably afford the DA, than get it. I just purchased a Six13, my last bike had Ultegra, when I test rode the Six13, it had DA and after one ride I was hooked. I admit I like flare and fortunately the money factory will not be an issue on this purchase.

Out of all my friends I will be the only one that has DA and Kyrsium SL's, I'll just carry along extra Dixie cups, to catch their druel...

Michael

eminence grease
    Then as responsible internet advice-givers, it's incumbent upon us to make that recommendation.

One thing for you to consider though - not all of us are interested in becoming faster. Some of us just want the best appointed, best looking and best peforming bike for the money. I could care less about decreasing my century time, but I know myself well enough to say that if I don't buy the right components, I'm not going to be happy with the bike.
    Last edited by terry b; 01-31-2005 at 08:58 AM.

Banned forever.....or not
    Would you put $39 tires on your $35,000 auto ???

The components on a bike should match the frame in value. In the same light, it would be silly to but 10 speed Dura Ace components on a $299 Nashbar frame.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast