Should I buy a Scott Addict...or?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

Should I buy a Scott Addict...or?

SO I have been itching for a new road bike. I currently have a Trek Madone 4.5 that I have updated to full ultegra with Mavic Ksyrium elites. I am thinking of getting a 2011 Scott Addict r2. I like the light weight and stiffness of the frame but am concerned with the durability...those frame walls are pretty thin and I have read some horror stories about the warranty not being honored..However all those posts seem to be from 2007-08 So I am thinking the issue(s) may have been resolved. So I am asking
    1. anyone who has an addict like/dislike it and why
    2. Anyone broken an addict frame and has Scott honored the warranty?
    3. Is there another frame or complete bike in the $3200 price range that is better that I haven't considered?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Bit long, appreciated, but warranty NOT GOOD.

Scott Bicycle. CR1. Pro. 2011 Model
    Supplier, Dynamic Bikes and Services... Cnr Kingston & Wembley Rds. Woodridge Qld. Australia Proprietor... Adam Guise 3209 5488 ... [email protected]

Bought brand new 11/8/2010………Cash receipt no…82 …Copy attached...Paid……$3233.00…
    Out for a social ride with two friends on Wednesday morning, 16th Feb 2011, having ridden 30 Kms from home, over one hour and 12 minutes, at an average speed of 24 Kph, and going at a very moderate pace up a small hill all of a sudden there was a loud bang, the bike wobbled, (or I did, as a result) I immediately unclipped as quickly and as safely as I could and got both feet safely on the ground. Good thing it wasn’t on a bad roundabout or going fast up or down a hill, it would have been life threatening.
    I was deliberately not going fast as there was a slower rider in front of me (and I wanted to sit in behind her to ensure she was ok.
    After I got off I looked down and saw that the bicycle frame had broken on one of the lugs where the bike fits onto the wheel. ... See attached photographs.

Adam had fitted new rear Ultegra Derailleur on the 28th of January 2011. Amount paid $89.50. ....Receipt No. 572721 attached.

I have ridden the bike approx max 300 Kms since Adam fitted the new rear derailleur.
    Adam also fitted a new hanging tip at the same time, which I understand attaches the rear derailleur to the bike.
    The rear frame where the bicycle attaches to wheel broke Wednesday 16/2/11, I took the bicycle back to D.B.S same day, the store principal, Adam, was away for the day.
    I told his assistant John what had happened and he said it would be a replacement as they could not be repaired and it was only a new bike.
    I went back the next day, Thursday morning, 17/2/11 to discuss the broken bicycle with Adam.
    A young bloke was present and he stated that it should be an automatic frame replacement because it was a new bike, the frame would be under warranty, and a carbon bike once broken like that could not be properly repaired.

Adam seemed agitated and started telling me all the reasons why it would not be a claim, he spent at least ten minutes showing me how the gear adjustments were done on a bike then led in with in his opinion it was either faulty gear adjustments, or the bike had been dropped on its side.

Adam then stated that he had not wrongly adjusted the gears therefore the only other option was that the bike had been dropped on its side either by me or someone else without my knowing.
    Adam stated that by, (a,) faulty gear adjustment, or (b), the bike being dropped on its side could cause the rear derailleur to come off and go into the spokes causing the resulting damage.
    I informed Adam that in the six months since I bought the bike brand new that I have only ever had this bicycle serviced by him at Dynamic Bikes and Services.

I know for a fact that the bike has not been dropped between when the bike was last worked on by Adam, approx 2-3 weeks ago, that the bike has not been dropped by me, or anyone else.
    I am prepared to provide any form of Statuary Declaration to this effect.

Being a Vietnam veteran and a pensioner with limited funds I know how to look after my equipment & looked after that bike like a baby, knowing I would not be able to replace it for a very long time.
    I would certainly have noticed any damage caused by it being dropped. It’s a new bike less than six months old and cost me $3233.00.

I called at DBS several times chasing up, and was told the bike frame had been sent away to the distributor, Avanti Bicycle Co Malcolm Rd Braeside Vic 3195.
    on the 18th of Feb 2011. Shipped via Toll/Ipec, Con Note No. 8347157937.

At one time, a Tuesday when I called to ask after my bike I was told by the attendant, “Adam said he really feels bad about your bike, and wants to stay friends with Frank but the frame is worth $1700.00 and I can’t afford that”

On Friday morning, 4th March called at DBS spoke to Adam, he said he had spoken to the distributor Avanti and they had said they would replace the frame as it had gone astray, Adam said I could get a frame called an Addict, same value, but a more racing type frame, I said get me one of those and confirm at the end of the day.

At 5:30 the same day Adam rang me and said Avanti had changed their mind, I could wait another two weeks, IE, until the 18th of March and if it didn’t show up they would replace the frame, or I could have a new frame now, but when the old frame did show up and they did not consider it a warranty I would have to pay for it. I did not agree to this as they had already changed their minds once, I felt there would be no guarantee that they would not do it again.
    And it would make it easier for them to say no later.
    I asked Adam to get a copy of their offer in writing for me, but I never did receive one.

On the 10th of March I received a text from Adam saying he had sent me an Email.
    The gist of the email, copy attached is that “Unfortunately Avanti Bicycle Company cannot cover this under warranty as it is not deemed a manufacturing defect”

There is no explanation as to any form of why.
    I went in to see Adam around 2pm 10th march and asked him why and Adam stated “as I said all along, it was either maladjusted or it was dropped, and because you have ridden it for around three weeks I do not believe it was maladjusted” I asked why were there no marks to show it had been dropped, Adam stated, “that can happen sometimes”
    I have not dropped it, nor has it ever been dropped, I have never damaged this bicycle in any way.

It appears to me that this bicycle was not of merchantable quality that it did not meet the level of quality and performance that could be reasonably expected given its price and description.
    I also believe it was not free of defects that were not obvious at the time I purchased it.

Early after I had first purchased the bike, going up a steep hill the chain jammed in between the rear sprocket and the spokes, I couldn’t get it out and my wife had to come and pick me up.
    I took it back to DBS and Adam fixed it no charge and said Chris, one of his staff, had not set the gears up correctly when he had first assembled it. I could have been killed.
    Another time I was riding along just around from home and the hanging tip broke and put the rear derailleur into the spokes.
    I bought a new derailleur ($65 from overseas, Adam had quoted $179.00) Adam fitted it and the hanging tip. DBS receipt No. 572271.
    Everyone said it was a warranty claim, but for $100.00 I didn’t want to have an argument.
    Then, three weeks after Adam fitted the new rear derailleur and hanging tip, I was riding along and the whole bloody lot broke.
    I do not believe that the bicycle was of merchantable quality, or that the services provided by Dynamic Bikes and Services were provided with due care and skill.

I seek either, (1) the replacement of the bicycle (2) the supply of equivalent bicycle, or (3) a full refund.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Tarmac S-Works frameset arount $3000
    Tarmac Pro frameset around $2000
    You can shop around and get discounts on those prices.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    So I went with an sworks SL3 osbb Will most likely be putting SRAM red on it...to scared to buy a Scott since I keep hearing about issues with the warranty.

Adventure Seeker
    Just get a Giant, as they make both your trek and that Scott. Or, better still, keep what you have. Nothing wrong with it, maybe upgrade to some nice wheels.
    I have a single track mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DiddyMau
    Bit long, appreciated, but warranty NOT GOOD.

Scott Bicycle. CR1. Pro. 2011 Model
    Supplier, Dynamic Bikes and Services... Cnr Kingston & Wembley Rds. Woodridge Qld. Australia Proprietor... Adam Guise 3209 5488 ... [email protected]

Bought brand new 11/8/2010………Cash receipt no…82 …Copy attached...Paid……$3233.00…
    Out for a social ride with two friends on Wednesday morning, 16th Feb 2011, having ridden 30 Kms from home, over one hour and 12 minutes, at an average speed of 24 Kph, and going at a very moderate pace up a small hill all of a sudden there was a loud bang, the bike wobbled, (or I did, as a result) I immediately unclipped as quickly and as safely as I could and got both feet safely on the ground. Good thing it wasn’t on a bad roundabout or going fast up or down a hill, it would have been life threatening.
    I was deliberately not going fast as there was a slower rider in front of me (and I wanted to sit in behind her to ensure she was ok.
    After I got off I looked down and saw that the bicycle frame had broken on one of the lugs where the bike fits onto the wheel. ... See attached photographs.

Adam had fitted new rear Ultegra Derailleur on the 28th of January 2011. Amount paid $89.50. ....Receipt No. 572721 attached.

I have ridden the bike approx max 300 Kms since Adam fitted the new rear derailleur.
    Adam also fitted a new hanging tip at the same time, which I understand attaches the rear derailleur to the bike.
    The rear frame where the bicycle attaches to wheel broke Wednesday 16/2/11, I took the bicycle back to D.B.S same day, the store principal, Adam, was away for the day.
    I told his assistant John what had happened and he said it would be a replacement as they could not be repaired and it was only a new bike.
    I went back the next day, Thursday morning, 17/2/11 to discuss the broken bicycle with Adam.
    A young bloke was present and he stated that it should be an automatic frame replacement because it was a new bike, the frame would be under warranty, and a carbon bike once broken like that could not be properly repaired.

Adam seemed agitated and started telling me all the reasons why it would not be a claim, he spent at least ten minutes showing me how the gear adjustments were done on a bike then led in with in his opinion it was either faulty gear adjustments, or the bike had been dropped on its side.

Adam then stated that he had not wrongly adjusted the gears therefore the only other option was that the bike had been dropped on its side either by me or someone else without my knowing.
    Adam stated that by, (a,) faulty gear adjustment, or (b), the bike being dropped on its side could cause the rear derailleur to come off and go into the spokes causing the resulting damage.
    I informed Adam that in the six months since I bought the bike brand new that I have only ever had this bicycle serviced by him at Dynamic Bikes and Services.

I know for a fact that the bike has not been dropped between when the bike was last worked on by Adam, approx 2-3 weeks ago, that the bike has not been dropped by me, or anyone else.
    I am prepared to provide any form of Statuary Declaration to this effect.

Being a Vietnam veteran and a pensioner with limited funds I know how to look after my equipment & looked after that bike like a baby, knowing I would not be able to replace it for a very long time.
    I would certainly have noticed any damage caused by it being dropped. It’s a new bike less than six months old and cost me $3233.00.

I called at DBS several times chasing up, and was told the bike frame had been sent away to the distributor, Avanti Bicycle Co Malcolm Rd Braeside Vic 3195.
    on the 18th of Feb 2011. Shipped via Toll/Ipec, Con Note No. 8347157937.

At one time, a Tuesday when I called to ask after my bike I was told by the attendant, “Adam said he really feels bad about your bike, and wants to stay friends with Frank but the frame is worth $1700.00 and I can’t afford that”

On Friday morning, 4th March called at DBS spoke to Adam, he said he had spoken to the distributor Avanti and they had said they would replace the frame as it had gone astray, Adam said I could get a frame called an Addict, same value, but a more racing type frame, I said get me one of those and confirm at the end of the day.

At 5:30 the same day Adam rang me and said Avanti had changed their mind, I could wait another two weeks, IE, until the 18th of March and if it didn’t show up they would replace the frame, or I could have a new frame now, but when the old frame did show up and they did not consider it a warranty I would have to pay for it. I did not agree to this as they had already changed their minds once, I felt there would be no guarantee that they would not do it again.
    And it would make it easier for them to say no later.
    I asked Adam to get a copy of their offer in writing for me, but I never did receive one.

On the 10th of March I received a text from Adam saying he had sent me an Email.
    The gist of the email, copy attached is that “Unfortunately Avanti Bicycle Company cannot cover this under warranty as it is not deemed a manufacturing defect”

There is no explanation as to any form of why.
    I went in to see Adam around 2pm 10th march and asked him why and Adam stated “as I said all along, it was either maladjusted or it was dropped, and because you have ridden it for around three weeks I do not believe it was maladjusted” I asked why were there no marks to show it had been dropped, Adam stated, “that can happen sometimes”
    I have not dropped it, nor has it ever been dropped, I have never damaged this bicycle in any way.

It appears to me that this bicycle was not of merchantable quality that it did not meet the level of quality and performance that could be reasonably expected given its price and description.
    I also believe it was not free of defects that were not obvious at the time I purchased it.

Early after I had first purchased the bike, going up a steep hill the chain jammed in between the rear sprocket and the spokes, I couldn’t get it out and my wife had to come and pick me up.
    I took it back to DBS and Adam fixed it no charge and said Chris, one of his staff, had not set the gears up correctly when he had first assembled it. I could have been killed.
    Another time I was riding along just around from home and the hanging tip broke and put the rear derailleur into the spokes.
    I bought a new derailleur ($65 from overseas, Adam had quoted $179.00) Adam fitted it and the hanging tip. DBS receipt No. 572271.
    Everyone said it was a warranty claim, but for $100.00 I didn’t want to have an argument.
    Then, three weeks after Adam fitted the new rear derailleur and hanging tip, I was riding along and the whole bloody lot broke.
    I do not believe that the bicycle was of merchantable quality, or that the services provided by Dynamic Bikes and Services were provided with due care and skill.

I seek either, (1) the replacement of the bicycle (2) the supply of equivalent bicycle, or (3) a full refund.
    I would suggest you set these guys on to them:

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index...517/whichType/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by madoneorscott
    SO I have been itching for a new road bike. I currently have a Trek Madone 4.5 that I have updated to full ultegra with Mavic Ksyrium elites. I am thinking of getting a 2011 Scott Addict r2. I like the light weight and stiffness of the frame but am concerned with the durability...those frame walls are pretty thin and I have read some horror stories about the warranty not being honored..However all those posts seem to be from 2007-08 So I am thinking the issue(s) may have been resolved. So I am asking
    1. anyone who has an addict like/dislike it and why
    2. Anyone broken an addict frame and has Scott honored the warranty?
    3. Is there another frame or complete bike in the $3200 price range that is better that I haven't considered?

I have been riding my 2011 model Scott addict R15 since late November 2010 and absolutely love it!

The R15, R2 and R3 all share the same frame, but colour scheme and component levels differ. Mine has Sram red with Mavic kysrium elite wheels, although I plan to upgrade the wheels when i get the chance. i.e. find a killer deal!

best bike i've ridden yet!