Should I upgrade to a Litespeed Siena from a Litespeed Arenberg?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

Should I upgrade to a Litespeed Siena from a Litespeed Arenberg?

Hi All,
    Need your opinion/advise on this.
    I am currently riding a year2001 Litespeed Arenberg (similiar to a year 2005/6 Litespeed Firenze in Geometry etc, traditional top tube)
    I like my Litespeed Arenberg. comfortable ride, good for long rides etc. As for my riding style I am more of a climber and do long rides. I am 179cm in height and weight in at only 67Kg so I am very lightweight.
    I was recently thinking of getting a compact frame(due to my riding style etc), The Litespeed Ghisallo comes to mind, but the price is well too high for my limited budget...
    I recently had an good offer on an previous years model (but in very good condition) Litespeed Siena frameset(size etc everything all right for me). This is a compact frame.
    I was wondering if I should buy this frame or keep using my Litespeed Arenberg and just upgrade to a ligther wheelset?
    My Litespeed Arenberg and the Siena has about the same weight, so weight saving here is not my primary concern, but i just wonder if thet different in frame-types(compact etc) is worth to spend the money on?
    Lastly, the other thing I am worry about in this Litespeed Siena is that it is using a integrated headset. Any of you have bad experience with it? I personally prefer a traditional type Aheadset, but maybe I am just worry too much about the headset thing too.
    Let me know what you think
    Thanks
    Howard Chan

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by chanhoward
    Hi All,
    Need your opinion/advise on this.
    I am currently riding a year2001 Litespeed Arenberg (similiar to a year 2005/6 Litespeed Firenze in Geometry etc, traditional top tube)
    I like my Litespeed Arenberg. comfortable ride, good for long rides etc. As for my riding style I am more of a climber and do long rides. I am 179cm in height and weight in at only 67Kg so I am very lightweight.
    I was recently thinking of getting a compact frame(due to my riding style etc), The Litespeed Ghisallo comes to mind, but the price is well too high for my limited budget...
    I recently had an good offer on an previous years model (but in very good condition) Litespeed Siena frameset(size etc everything all right for me). This is a compact frame.
    I was wondering if I should buy this frame or keep using my Litespeed Arenberg and just upgrade to a ligther wheelset?
    My Litespeed Arenberg and the Siena has about the same weight, so weight saving here is not my primary concern, but i just wonder if thet different in frame-types(compact etc) is worth to spend the money on?
    Lastly, the other thing I am worry about in this Litespeed Siena is that it is using a integrated headset. Any of you have bad experience with it? I personally prefer a traditional type Aheadset, but maybe I am just worry too much about the headset thing too.
    Let me know what you think
    Thanks
    Howard Chan
    You won't see any benefit by moving to a compact frame. The difference there is that the top tube slopes - and that's it. It looks different, and if you like the look, that is the only advantage to be had.

I'm not a fan of the integrated headset, either. I don't have any direct experience with problems, but the design seems less serviceable/replaceable should the need arise, and I don't like the engineering as well.

If it were my choice, I'd keep the Arenberg, toss some money at a nice wheelset, and save the rest towards the next wonderbike.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Back to the future.

The 2006 Litespeed Siena no longer has an integrated headset. Something made Litespeed decide to go back to the tried-and-true. You might want to consider that.

"It's all about style."

Compact=More Standover Room

For someone like me (5'7") a compact made sense for standover clearance compaired to a traditional frame. The ride quality of standard or compact will not be noticed.
    "It's better to look good, than to feel good."

You're Not the Boss of Me
    I don't know why you view compact frames as catering to a particular riding "style." The difference is just aesthetic for most folks, though people with shorter legs and longer torsos sometimes find compact geometry easier to fit.

If you're dying for a new ride, and you think it is pretty, and it is a good price, go for it. But know that those are the reasons you are doing it, rather than trying to convince yourself that you "need" the Siena for its geometry, etc. etc. If it were me and I were on a budget, I'd say "no thanks" to the Siena.

banned
    you are not VERY lightweight by the way..

RoadBikeReview Member
    chanhoward, I think you answered your own question in your initial post. you will get your biggest bang with a good set of lightweight wheels.