Sizing C50 HP Sloping 50S. .

Mar 2004

Sizing C50 HP Sloping 50S. .

I can get a decent price on this frameset, but need real first had knowledge at sizing them. I have a TCR composite (small) that fits PERFECT. The thing I'm troubled by is the 50S size has a 5.25" head-tube length and my TCR has a 4.65" one 1" of spacers. I don't know if I'm looking at this right or not, but if I assume a King headset with a total stack of 31.4mm (1.23") plus the 5.25" HT of the 50S I'm looking at 6.5." Measuring from the lower part of my head-tube to FLUSH under my stem it's 6.00" on the nose. Unless I'm looking at this wrong, I'm screwed by a half inch!. . .Perhaps I must let it pass. .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Don't worry about the head tube - let Ernesto take care of that. You will be able to get the proper bar position with youir stem selection.

Focus on the top tube length. Make sure it's right. You should ride many miles on several different lengths before you make your final sizing preference when choosing a frame that you are not experienced with.

eminence grease
    Huh?

Not worry about the head tube?

Worst advice on an internet forum I've read all day.

Mar 2004

TT is taken care of. .

Quote Originally Posted by yzfrr11
    Don't worry about the head tube - let Ernesto take care of that. You will be able to get the proper bar position with youir stem selection.

Focus on the top tube length.
    The difference between my 53.5cm and the 54cm is around 3/16" of an inch, so that's no big deal. However, to tall a head tube might be. I had another thought too. Maybe the lower half of the headset doesn't come into the calculation since the forks lower race fits up inside the head-tube. .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    Huh?

Not worry about the head tube?

Worst advice on an internet forum I've read all day.
    Top tube length, my friend ... . So, I suppose You could teach Ernsto a thing or two about head tube sizing, huh?

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by yzfrr11
    Top tube length, my friend ... . So, I suppose You could teach Ernsto a thing or two about head tube sizing, huh?
    No kidding, top tube? Who'd a thunk.

Ernesto has nothing to do with how we the consumers set up our bikes. He designs them around a certain sweet spot and assumes that the enduser knows what they are doing. There are plenty of bikes out there with the proper top tube length in my size with short headtubes that would force me to use 30mm of spacers or a riser stem, two things that I don't like to do. There are even situations where I have to go up a size to get the proper TT length and the associated HT length is too long to allow me to get my bars low enough.

So, aside from calling Ernesto and begging him to help, how exactly would I get the bars as low as I might want them on a frame with too long a head tube? Buy a riser stem and use it upside down?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Terry's right ... this measurement is very important. I would say -- maybe -- more important than Tt length/HTA. Although they are all important.

A few years back, I made the mistake of buying a Pegoretti w/o bothering to check the head tube length and other vertical dimensions. Just looked at TT and STA.

Well, the bike was way too tall. Broke my heart -- it was a beautiful Fina Estampa with the Ayers Rock paint job -- but I had to get rid of it. I, too, got a great deal on the Peg, which ended up not being so sweet cuz it didn't fit.

Keep in mind, Colnagos are designed to be ridden with a long stem and a seatpost with a fair amount of setback.
    "When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come?
    With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun!"

May 2002
    To conform to the Master Ernesto's fit you could put 1/2" of LeWedges under your shoes and jack up the seat by that same amount.

RoadBikeReview Member

Can fit but won't look pretty

The sloping 50 is really equal to a 54 traditional. If a small TCR fits you perfect, the 54 Nag will be a bit too tall for you. You can probably get a -17 degree stem which will lower the bar by 1/2", but it will look really funny.

How much is the price? I say buy if the price is really good, pass if the price is just decent.

Quote Originally Posted by KATZRKOL
    The difference between my 53.5cm and the 54cm is around 3/16" of an inch, so that's no big deal. However, to tall a head tube might be. I had another thought too. Maybe the lower half of the headset doesn't come into the calculation since the forks lower race fits up inside the head-tube. .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

possible solution...

First, you've never mentioned the stem brand or angle that you're using with the Giant. A simple change of stem angle and/or brand may take care of the problem.

In metric terms, your giant has 143mm total stack height. I assume you took this measurement properly, from the bottom of the headset (top of fork crown race). The minimum possible with the Colnago is 133mm plus 25mm for a Campy headset, or 158mm (the bottom of the headset must be included). It appears like you have a 15mm difference to make up.

No one can tell you anything until you post either your stem brand and angle, or better yet, your handlebar height measured vertically from the ground to the top of the bars.

What I can tell you is that with the 158mm stack height on the Conago and an ITM 80 degree stem, the bars could be as low 87cm and with a 73 degree stem, the bars could be as low as 86cm.

By the way, what's your saddle height?
    Last edited by C-40; 01-29-2005 at 09:20 AM.

B2
    You talking to me?

What's so bad about a -17 stem?

Quote Originally Posted by elviento
    You can probably get a -17 degree stem which will lower the bar by 1/2", but it will look really funny.
    I would think a lot of people would prefer the looks of a 73 degree "level" stem.

Bryan

Mar 2004

C40. .Some numbers for you.

Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    First, you've never mentioned the stem brand or angle that you're using with the Giant. A simple change of stem angle and/or brand may take care of the problem.

No one can tell you anything until you post either your stem brand and angle, or better yet, your handlebar height measured vertically from the ground to the top of the bars.

By the way, what's your saddle height?
    My saddle height is 36-7/8" and I'm using a 12cm Easton EA70 stem and the distance from the ground to the top of the non-bulged portion of my bar is 34.5". I'm really thinking I would need a 48S, but need some clear headed thinking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

48cm would be better....

Your saddle is at least 2cm lower than mine, and your bars are about .5cm lower. You must have short legs and long torso, or a fairly forward saddle position, since you're using a 120mm stem. For a saddle height that low, the 50cm seat tube is too long. My moderately sloping LOOK is only 49cm and even with my 2cm taller saddle, the exposed seatpost is quite modest.

The 48cm would be a better fit. The TT length is only 3mm shorter, after correcting for the difference in the seat tube angle. I'd just move the saddle back to take care of that. The total head tube stack height would be in the 140-146mm range, which is what you have now.
    Last edited by C-40; 01-29-2005 at 03:26 PM.

Mar 2004

You are very cleaver C-40. .

Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    You must have short legs and long torso, or a fairly forward saddle position, since you're using a 120mm stem.
    Dead on! I'm 5' 6.5" and I have a 30 inch inseam. However, my arm length is longer by about 1.5 to 2 inches than at least a dozen 6 footers I've compared myself to. Funky body I guess. Depressing though. . I hear they are NO 48S in US as of yet Hopefully by April!

Jan 2003

Talking C-40 is da man

I am again impressed by this ability to formulate fit recommendations for us Magilla Gorilla-esque knuckle draggers.