A snappier version of a C-50, new frame time...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Converted Marathon Runner

A snappier version of a C-50, new frame time...

Hi all -

Been riding my C-50 for about 2 years. Prior to that, I came from a Look 585 that I had for about 6 months. I just go through experimentation phases with bikes and swap them for no reason really.

The Look 585 was a rocket of a bike for me. It seemed so much "snappier" than the C50, and of course it is lighter. I never noticed anything on the Look that was uncomfortable on long rides, and not on the C50 either. Both are comfy like that.

I'm a young, powerful rider, so the C50 isn't cutting it for me. I've been "dealing" with it though and really am not unhappy with it, I just want something lighter, and stiffer in the BB area, but will still yield comfort. I need an all around bike, which I know is tough to find.

Through endless searching, I'm endlessly reading about Cervelo models. Just for the hobby part of it and the fact that I like having something I haven't seen, I'm trying to stay away, but function over form, if it works, it works, so they aren't ruled out yet. As usual, the aero vs. lightweight debate is in my head, honestly I lean towards the SLC-SL due to the stiffness.

Another option is obviously another 585, it worked before. Or, a 586, or a 595.

One more in the mix, Time VXRS Ulteam. I'm actually leaning towards that one out of all I listed, the geometry is closer to my Colnago now, which fits me very well. I rode a VXS on a pretty routine test ride about a year ago, it was good considering it was one of the lower-level models from brand T.

The RXR Ulteam I just don't cosmetically like, and I hear it is pretty brutal to ride over long distances, but have no experience on it. Again though, the stiffness thing isn't a gigantic deal as long as I don't get that "oh man here comes another bump" thought process.

Background, I'm 145-150 pounds, strong rider, 10,000+ miles a year (not all on one bike though, I'm looking for a new "good" bike), young, and have a mixed set of roads I frequent.

Can anyone shed some light or just hypothesize with me? If it matters, I have a 58cm C50 at the moment, which as mentioned, fits me very well.

Thanks for any help,

RoadBikeReview Member
    How about the Colnago Extreme Power?

Are unsatisfied with the C-50 as an all around bike or just while out of the saddle and sprinting?

As an all around bike, it is decent. It's when I want it to actually "perform" that it is failing me.

I considered the Extreme Power, but honestly, the Colnago thing isn't all that it is cracked up to be. When I first got the frame and threw it on my scale, I was relatively unhappy. When I threw the fork on the scale, I was VERY unhappy, that Star Carbon fork is a boat. I know there's a new model out, but the whole thing is just very old-fashioned.

I feel there are newer ways to achieve the same, and newer ways to do it even better, and even save some weight in the process.

Luckily I got a pretty good deal on the frameset so I wasn't as unhappy as I could have been, especially if I had paid retail for it.

It is a nice ride though, and it looks great built up, I just want more performance out of the frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    R3 Sl, Prince or a King3.

I like the looks of a King3.

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008
    Maybe look at
    Times Vibraser, which I'm sure you already know about...
    Pinarello Paris, which might be a little more comfortable than the Prince.
    Look 595. You can change the "elastomers" in the seat post to adjust the "comfort level".

We can all give suggestions, but you are gonna feel how YOU feel on the bike so just get out there and ride everything and anything. Take your time...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    second the r3 sl, maybe a wilier of some sort

banned
    Apr 2008

My experience. . .

Quote Originally Posted by 10kman
    Hi all -
    Can anyone shed some light or just hypothesize with me? If it matters, I have a 58cm C50 at the moment, which as mentioned, fits me very well.
    I found the C50 I had to be a great long distance bike with very neutral handling and a fairly still BB area. I sold it after riding a 2009 Wilier Le Roi, and never would by a Colnago again. The Wilier is smoother on "chip seal" roads, stiffer BB area and is generally a perfect bike IMO. The funny part is at around $3000, it's cheaper than the primitive lug/tube Colnagos.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Most of these pro bikes perform great but it boils down to taste and fit. I've always had stiff and sharp handling bikes but I do my best on my BMC Pro Machine which is plenty stiff for me but is not considered an overly stiff bike in the reviews. The neutral handling and the decent balance of stiffness and comfort work for me.

You might not be happy with many of the popular frames if you find that a C-50 doesn't perform.

You might think about going the custom route. IF, Seven, and Serotta, among many others, can create the perfect bike for you. Pricey but beats trying and then selling a series of hign end frames.

Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd look at the following:

595 Ultra

Custom Parlee/Crumpton?

R3-SL if geometry suits

Scott Addict

Giant TCR Advanced SL

Cannondale super six

The VXRS will feel a bit soft from what you have stated in your intentions. Also most Italian bikes feel a bit soft in comparison to the stiffness to weight bikes out there.
    Derek Zoolander - "I'm not an ambi-turner"

That Cervelo showing up over and over is really tempting. Is the geometry "odd" due to the sloping top tube? On paper it looks like I could make it work and not notice too much. I'm going to call around and see if anyone has it stocked in my size, may be tough to find many of the high zoot models to test.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cervelo run a 73 degree seat tube angle on all sizes and interesting head tube angles (depending on the size) if you are 5'11 - 6'2 the fit can be very good - if you're 5'8 or so can be more challenging.

I didn't say earlier but you should also consider a Specialized s-works tarmac sl2 - better angles - better handling than cervelo - light bikes with excellent stiffness and not crazily priced.
    Derek Zoolander - "I'm not an ambi-turner"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Was gonna suggest the SL2 as well, but he seems to be interested in the more "elitist" type brands. Not harshing on you 10kman personally, but I find it hard to believe that a company(specialized) that has millions at it's disposal for research would somehow produce a less than equal bike to all the brands mentioned here. If Specialized could somehow find a way to make their logo/paint jobs less commercial and more refined they'd only be doing themselves a favor. That said, Time paint jobs are fugly.

A C50 has always been a dream bike for me, but at 4-5K for a frame.....I can build up 3/4 of a sweet SL2 for that coin, plus I ride a tarmac already and wouldn't need to worry about fit much. I'd say if you're only interested in trying a high end frame for a season or two...get the Cervelo/Pinny/Time/etc....if you want a just as good frame for a great price...get a Tarmac or even the Roubaix SL2....good enough for Boonen so I'd imagine it's "Snappy"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Oh yeah...why not get a Moots and tell them to stiffen up the chain stays for you. They can make it just as snappy as any other bike. Then you're talking about a rare and classy ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

585 Ultra...

The LOOK 585 Ultra might suit you. It's light and stiffer in the BB area, but does ride a bit stiffer than the origin. Excel Sports has them on closeout for $2200.

I have both a 585 origin and a 585 Ultra. I got my Ultra during last year's closeout for $1988. FWIW, my 51cm frame weighed in a 1040 grams, with the seatpost clamp, headset bearing seats and cable guide. The fork was only 280 with the steerer cut.

Although I like the look of the 586, the $4K price tag is too steep, IMO. Not worth twice the price of my Ultra. The seatpost setup also has drawbacks.

I'm not turned on entirely to the boutique brands, I know they do what they claim to, very well in most cases. I posted to get some other ideas, like the SL2, that I hadn't even considered, but sounds like a super bike. It actually looks nicer to me than the R3SL, and sounds more "no-hand riding stable".

Aug 2008
    I think you would happy with the Time VXRS or VXR.
    I test rode a VXR and was hooked but could not afford to buy it.
    They have a unique construction and ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Call Mark Lynskey and put your order in on a Helix -- bling, exclusivity and plenty stiff!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    The Lynskey Helix is plenty snappy and sharp handling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

C-50

I have a C-50 Colnago for three years now. It is a beautiful bike, and it is made very well i.e. tubes finished in and out, but yes there is a disappointment with the stiffness factor and it does weight more than other top of the lines. But it is what is claimed a very good all rounder, and reliable something intentional,but I know what you are feeling, and I think for me it would be a Time Proteam or the Cervelo R3, also others that are stiff, to consider as I have ... Isaac Sonic or Impulse,,
    new Treks aren't bad. my 2c

May 2005

for no reason really...

the diff between the bikes mentioned in terms of perceived flex is probly due as much to wheels bars and stems as the frame. the c-50 certainly will not greatly rob a 160 lb rider in the quest for output...
    as for the handling, yeah, the c-50 will seem sleepy, even lethargic at first but with deliberate coaxing wil nip tuck and descend with great security.
    on the longer, less gentle rides even the c-50 will beat up a rider a bit, no bike is truly the mythical magic carpet, so to go stiffer may be a fatigue factor that adds up in training also.
    post on the colnago forum, maybe get an amen to this if you wish.

[QUOTE=10kman]Hi all -

Been riding my C-50 for about 2 years. Prior to that, I came from a Look 585 that I had for about 6 months. I just go through experimentation phases with bikes and swap them for no reason really.
    'Go, and never darken my towels again"
    -Groucho Marx

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    competitive cyclist.com will let you demo any of their bikes for a full week. it costs 300 but gets credited back on purchase. not bad though when you are looking at more expensive frames. just a thought.

RoadBikeReview Member
    People don't by Colnagos for the light-weight factor. They buy them for their heritage, their feel, (and probably their prestige).

I have an E1, the predecessor to the Cristallo. Is it the lightest frame and fork? No, but the ride quality is fantastic and the craftsmanship is great. I'd buy a C-50 or EP if I wanted to drop that kind of money again.

Anyway ... ride what makes you happy. I'll take your C-50 off your hands

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Are you looking only at carbon frames?

I'd check out Isaac.

or

With a big budget custom is always a great option. Parlee and Crumpton might be worth sending an email to.

S-Works Tarmac SL3
    I echo the SL2 recommendation. Even the Pro SL is a fine riding and performing bike. And these are readily available in distribution for test rides. So the risk of getting something that ultimately doesn't float your boat, is very little. There are a lot of choices out there and, frankly none are bad. Just slight differences that suit differing preferences.

Regarding the flex factor and bars/stem/wheel combos, I've kept the same setup going from frame to frame. New ones in some cases, but I haven't swapped those parts for a while, have a good feel with the bars I'm running. Also, I again, like to experiment, so try to keep things close to the same, and swap if I have an opinion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast