Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Specialized McLaren Tarmac is a blend of hilarity and poseurism

5K views 46 replies 32 participants last post by  milsson 
#1 ·
Nothing says awesomeness like spending $20k on a bike with, what, a $500 frame as the centerpiece.

But wait, let's not forget the genius R&D department:

From its research, the R&D team quickly realised that not every rider’s needs are the same. The Tarmac is available in six sizes from a 48 to a 61cmm and the data showed two key
They "quickly" realized this? As in how quickly? Because companies and riders have known this for decades.

The only thing that comes close to this pile of horsekrzyt is the Trek Enema or whatever, for $16k with Sram Red. LOL.

#2 ·
custom builders have been building custom frames with tube-set to match rider's size and riding style since the aluminum adoption, and even more so since the introduction of carbon fiber (since the late 80s, early 90s).

to borrow the motorcycle world's adage: race on sunday, sell on monday.

on a sidenote, Contadore rides a Specialized, and although I would like to root for him over Froome, can you image the bs ad campaign Spesh will be running if Contador wins the Tour? "Tarmac dominated the Tour de France". And then we'll have to listen to the fanboys telling us how awesome their Tarmac is. Efff that! Go Froome?! At least there are less chances of seeing a Pinarello fanboy raving should Froome win.

#5 ·
At least there are less chances of seeing a Pinarello fanboy raving should Froome win.
Pinarello guys are usually raving regardless of whether their bikes win or not.

Pinarello was selling a $16,500 bike a year or two ago, what makes this one or the Trek any different? At least with the Spesh, you get a helmet, shoes, bike rack and a complete BG fit.

Honestly, I don't think McLaren is going to put time and effort into just anything, unless Spesh is paying them a ton of money to do so, which again I doubt.

#3 ·
hahaha true^^^ even tho I like spech a lil bit, no way in the world I would drop that kind of cash on their bikes, but again, I dont ride to show my bikes, I ride to get stronger as a cyclist and win races, Im glad my cycling team/group doesnt care much about bling, but they do care about who makes it faster to the top of the hill, anyway to each their own.

The bike doesnt even look that good, same goes for the emonda or whatever is called.

Funny, last week I almost pulled the trigger on a Madone series 7 frameset, I thought it look good on my size. 52.

#28 ·
It's probably not even dentists; I ride with enough dentists and they only ride SuperSix Evos with SRAM Red.

But really, why do you guys give a f*** what people spend on their bike? Does it affect you other than make you jealous that they have more money? I'm not saying you are jealous, but I can't see another reason you criticize them for spending so much money.

I say if you want it, get it.

#21 ·
Now that's dedication to the team. Was the bike even a Specialized?

I was going to order up all these team kits I'm glad I logged in and found out how uncool they all are. (that Tinkoff-Saxo matches my sweet Specialized bike too) I'll just stick to posters on the wall I guess...

Do they make cycling action figures...

#23 ·
Yeah I don't get it either you would think it is ok to root for a team you like and to support them by identifying yourself as a fan. It is in every other sport. The funny thing is whether we are wearing a team kit or whatever the rest of the world thinks we look funny (or worse) anyway. So if less than 1% of 1% of the population thinks I'm a poser or whatever if I wear my favorite team's kit I'm not sure I care. It doesn't matter much if they laugh if you keep them behind you right?

BTW they do have action figures

View attachment 297650

I like that it comes with an ambulance

#30 ·
But wait, let's not forget the genius R&D department:

From its research, the R&D team quickly realised that not every rider’s needs are the same. The Tarmac is available in six sizes from a 48 to a 61cmm and the data showed two key

R&D is a misnomer as it has been said a great many times here: the cycling industry does not employ genuine engineers with PhD degrees in physics, material science or mechanical engineering. At best they hire A-levels candidates with Micky Mouse degrees in media studies.

At least the quacksalvers from the Specialized R&D department will fullfill the needs of the prodigies on Weight Weenies

#37 ·
you do realize the bike was designed with Mclaren. Not sure where you get the idea that bike companies don't employ engineers. Some, like Cervelo, were actually started by them. Not sure why there's hate about an expensive bike. Just don't buy it if you don't want it. Besides, the technology trickles down.

#32 ·
I just have this thing about having to pay to advertise for someone...I won't by the kit with my favorite LBS name on it because it costs more than plain cylcle shorts and jersey. If they want me to advertise for them, it should save me money...not cost me money.

#36 ·
specialized bike

we buy our bikes for these reasons.
1. to be physically fit and burn calories, to live healthy
2. others wants to show off their bikes
3. to become a professional rider someday
4. others to save gas and the same time to be fit

with that expensive bike maybe its nice to have one otherwise its not worthed. A bike is bike as long you enjoy riding your bike.

#39 ·
Yeah paying this much for a bike is kind of ridiculous, but not everybody is a specialized customer, or a cannondale customer, so on the business side of things if there is a market for it, so be it, Im sure not one of those that will buy one but a lot of other people will.

For me is hard to condemn the brand entirely because of a bike that you dont like, I dont own a tarmac anymore but I thought it was a really good bike, if I had to buy another bike I would probably consider it, but then again it comes down to personal choice, like the business I run, I want everyone to buy from us but unfortunately we have to target an specific group of buyers for any given product if we want to make the sale strong, is just what I think.

As far as what to wear when you are out pedaling, I found that outside of the US is cool to wear a pro team kit, here no so much, I agree with one of the guys that said local lbs kits should cost less, at the end of the day Im out riding thinking how can I get better and working to get better, no to look at others so dont care much what others wear, I wear what the team gets me because is free and of top quality to boot.

#42 ·
Good on you. I could not care less what a biker wears or rides. If they found a combination that brings them happiness, more power their way. I give the "Fred" more credit than some self esteem deficient chump who has nothing better to do than go online to bash a stranger's bike or fashion choices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.