Steel frame recommendations. Was thinking of surly
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Steel frame recommendations. Was thinking of surly

Looking for steel frame suggestions. I was about to purchase the surly cross check but don't think the geometry is right for me as I would have to run too many spacers. Just looking for something I can put fenders on to ride when it's wet outside. I guess sorta like a commuter/hybrid bike. Won't be riding on anything crazy.

- I want all steel, frame and fork
    -Probably gonna go with flat bars but also have extra parts for drop bars.
    - don't want disc brakes
    - don't really have a budget but don't want to go crazy.
    - I think the cross check with a larger head tube would of worked great

I don't know where I can find too many steel frames, this is why I'm asking. Not wanting disc brakes really lessons my choices.

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Gunnar Crosshairs or Gunnar Sport.

With the Waterford reputation behind them, the Gunnar line can't be beat.

EVERYBODY should own one bike that is prepared for iffy weather. I've owned one since 1984 and if I could only have one bike, this would be it.

Neophyte
    Kelly bikes

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Try looking into an older 80ís Trek frameset like a 520. Miyata made some well regarded frames in that era as well. 310 I think might be one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Norco has some nice gravel bikes/framesets. They are pretty hard to find in stock, but Norco now drop ships orders from their website to your local dealer.

I built one of these up for a friend and it's a fantastic bike.
    https://www.norco.com/bikes/2019/dir...el-frame-fork/

It's a tad more expensive than a Surly, but considerably lighter, and for me anyway, a more modern design.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Surly Cross check probably is too aggressive, as would be any real cross bike, but FYI you need to look at Stack not head tube length to determine that. On these types of bikes the head tube starts higher than road bikes to make room for big tires so you can't compare head tube length to what you know about it from road bikes.

I don't know what parts you own already and if you do your own work or will have to pay to build it but if you want a steel hybrid bike I would just buy a steel hybrid bike and save yourself the time and (likely) money or starting with a frame only. Jamis Coda.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    My Gunnar Roadie is fabulous. They have a lot of other non-road bike frames if you are looking for something less aggressive. I also have the steel fork on mine. I believe their site is Custom Bicycle Frames from Gunnar Cycles USA.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Just curious as to why you want steel?

RoadBikeReview Member
    https://blackmtncycles.com/frames/road-frames/

From the link...

Some of the key features of the road frame are clearance for up to 33mm tires, an Eddy Merckx inspired graphic package, braze-ons for direct fender mounting for a perfect fender line (because fenders are the best in wet weather), and itís orange.

More information on the road frame, including geometry, is available on the road tech page. Price for the road frameset is $595 $550* and can be ordered at the shop page.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Surly Cross check probably is too aggressive, as would be any real cross bike, but FYI you need to look at Stack not head tube length to determine that. On these types of bikes the head tube starts higher than road bikes to make room for big tires so you can't compare head tube length to what you know about it from road bikes.

I don't know what parts you own already and if you do your own work or will have to pay to build it but if you want a steel hybrid bike I would just buy a steel hybrid bike and save yourself the time and (likely) money or starting with a frame only. Jamis Coda.
    Yeah I think was wrong and should kd or looked at stack. I tried out the cross check and was comfortable. Did have a bit of spacers. It was fairly inexpensive so I grabbed a frame.

I know it's cheaper to buy the bike but I want to build this one. I have wheels. I'm not looking to spend crazy amount on parts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    Just curious as to why you want steel?
    Never had a steel bike. Maybe when I was kid lol. Just wanted to try out a steel bike and actually build my own.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
    Yeah I think was wrong and should kd or looked at stack. I tried out the cross check and was comfortable. Did have a bit of spacers. It was fairly inexpensive so I grabbed a frame.

I know it's cheaper to buy the bike but I want to build this one. I have wheels. I'm not looking to spend crazy amount on parts.
    I always buy a frame and then build it up myself. It may not be the cheapest alternative, but it allows you to put exactly what you want on the bike. And I think the shopping around for stuff is kind of fun. I have two steel road bikes that I'm fond of.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
    Looking for steel frame suggestions. I was about to purchase the surly cross check but don't think the geometry is right for me as I would have to run too many spacers. Just looking for something I can put fenders on to ride when it's wet outside. I guess sorta like a commuter/hybrid bike. Won't be riding on anything crazy.

- I want all steel, frame and fork
    -Probably gonna go with flat bars but also have extra parts for drop bars.
    - don't want disc brakes
    - don't really have a budget but don't want to go crazy.
    - I think the cross check with a larger head tube would of worked great

I don't know where I can find too many steel frames, this is why I'm asking. Not wanting disc brakes really lessons my choices.

Thanks
    Take a look at ebay. I have 3 steels bikes where I purchesd frames on Ebay. Nothing wrong with Surly but you might be able to find a classic used frames for the same or less money

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Take a look at ebay. I have 3 steels bikes where I purchesd frames on Ebay. Nothing wrong with Surly but you might be able to find a classic used frames for the same or less money
    I bought this frame and fork off a guy on ebay for $700. It had been recently repainted and looked brand new. I put a Campy Athena group on it and had some wheels built. Great riding bike and it didn't cost a fortune.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I bought this frame and fork off a guy on ebay for $700. It had been recently repainted and looked brand new. I put a Campy Athena group on it and had some wheels built. Great riding bike and it didn't cost a fortune.
    OK, since we are postings pics. Mondonico frame and fork $459 shipped.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I have a Jamis Coda Elite Flatbar that Iíve been commuting on for years. Everything worn out and now has 105 on it and some nice wheels. Iím looking for a winter build project. Recently Retrotec has caught my. Ya, a little pricey though...

Retrotec | Inglis & Retrotec Cycles